U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM

1,096 posts, read 816,229 times
Man i thought this Thread Finally Died
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,951,474 times
Great info here!!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 2,133,266 times
When I say I live on L.I., I usually get looks as though I live in the sticks.

Little do most people know my 30 min express train ride to penn is quicker than many commuters from nyc. Accrd to google maps my zip 11030 to midtown manhattan is 17 miles. Its really relative in people's eyes what is far, what is big, what is nice, what is luxurious, etc.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 AM

641 posts, read 552,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
You have a different definition of "rural" than I have. My definition of rural is more of Delaware and Sullivan counties. To be fair Poughkeepsie is of similar distance to Riverhead, so that's a bad example to use of Central Suffolk. I probably should have been more specific of the Hudson Valley (Lower vs Mid). A similar distance from Central Suffolk (45-60 miles) to the city (Manhattan, not Queens or the Bronx) is probably Beacon/Cold Spring/Southeast/Brewster/Newburgh/Cornwall. There are tons of "super express" trains from Beacon (they go non-stop to GCT after Beacon), which take roughly 70 minutes or so to GCT and back. Poughkeepsie is about a 90-110 minute ride to GCT.

With so many problems the LIRR has with signal problems, broken down trains, NY Penn being extremely over congested, the main line needing another track etc...how often does the train actually arrive in NY Penn on time and back to Ronk? The LIRR is not known for it's on time performance last I checked.

All you need to do is look at a map and see why there are so many different kind of animals here. This area is not an island and there are tons of mountains. The bear which was found in Poughkeepise this past summer came from CT!! The bear traveled at least 35+ miles to get to Poughkeepise. Long Island is much more built up because it's much easier to built there. You guys don't have to deal with lakes, rivers, streams, hilly terrain, rocks, mountains etc. It's the coastal plain which is relativity flat. The north shore (Manhasset, Great Neck, Roslyn) does have some hills, but it's nothing compared to other hilly areas.

Nothing has changed here since the 1800s!? Seriously? The farm land is going bye bye due to new developments and shopping centers. The native people living here can tell you so many stories how much has changed. Orange County used to be basically all farm land. The farms there are mostly gone.

Anyway why does it matter how close you're to NYC? Besides Manhattan who cares about the rest of NYC!? If it wasn't for Manhattan, NYC will be one giant sh*t hole. This is coming from someone who was born and raised in Queens!
This isn't the 70's, 80's, or 90's next time you head into NYC venture outside of Manhattan. I thought everyone knew about the rise of western Brooklyn and Queens. Yea there's still ghettos and parts of the city are still ****holes but the outer boroughs are being highly developed great new condos, parks, stores, restaurants, nightclubs and bars the new arena in Brooklyn etc.

By the end of this decade Brooklyn and Queens are actually gonna have a decent skyline.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM

1,096 posts, read 816,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
This isn't the 70's, 80's, or 90's next time you head into NYC venture outside of Manhattan. I thought everyone knew about the rise of western Brooklyn and Queens. Yea there's still ghettos and parts of the city are still ****holes but the outer boroughs are being highly developed great new condos, parks, stores, restaurants, nightclubs and bars the new arena in Brooklyn etc.

By the end of this decade Brooklyn and Queens are actually gonna have a decent skyline.

OH Goddy Condos!!! neeed more of them

Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 AM

149 posts, read 117,024 times
The LIRR Ronkonkoma line is not even 1 hour from the Queens border but SHH! People from Nassau want to pretend we live in the sticks! Don't tell them the truth! If you take an express train from Ronkonkoma it is near 1 hour on the dot...to Penn Station. That makes it about a 40-45 minute ride to queens on the express. It will never cease to amaze me how dumb people are. Patchogue Village is more built up and urban than many places in Nassau. Many people don't leave their towns huh?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,434,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
The LIRR Ronkonkoma line is not even 1 hour from the Queens border but SHH! People from Nassau want to pretend we live in the sticks! Don't tell them the truth! If you take an express train from Ronkonkoma it is near 1 hour on the dot...to Penn Station. That makes it about a 40-45 minute ride to queens on the express. It will never cease to amaze me how dumb people are. Patchogue Village is more built up and urban than many places in Nassau. Many people don't leave their towns huh?
Shhhhhhhh.

You dont want to depress real estate values.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,084,943 times
wow. Stale old threads for a brand new year.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 AM

149 posts, read 117,024 times
By the way, it's been a while but nothing has changed. I see plenty of NYC cabs...some in Huntington, some in the Brentwood area. I have noticed NYC buses get repaired in the Ronkonkoma/Islip area consistently seeing them towed by a truck. At least 25% of every business van I see has an NYC address.

The point? I am correct. By the way, did you know 90 people died from the Town of Islip ALONE on 9/11? Maybe you guys want to go tell their families they were crazy for working sooooooooooooo far away? Or is it that we just don't live that far and that's why they worked in NYC?

It really needs to stop. I meet so many people in the Ronkonkoma/Sayville area who will talk about places in Riverhead and Greenport like it's right down the road, yet will act like Queens is some far away land in another state even though they are approximately the same distance. Why is it that people can consider themselves close to the Hamptons area when they are 45 minutes west of them, yet people do NOT consider themselves close to the NYC border when they are 45 minutes East of it? It's a double standard.

Think about it this way: even in Central LI, we live closer to NYC than 99.999% of the world does. We ARE the suburbs of NYC. When something happens in Brentwood or even Medford, it gets reported nationally as occurring in an NYC suburb. The proof is there, but people pretend we are in Iowa.

Why do people consider a 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minute train ride to be so long? My god, take out your iPod, listen to 5 songs, text a few friends, read the news, and before you know it you're there. If you sleep the whole time it will seem like a flash because a 1 hour nap is nothing. I'd rather spend 1 hour on the train relaxing than driving to NYC from Hempstead snarled in stressful traffic. You would seriously think 1 hour is the equivalent to Columbus' voyage on the Mayflower the way people talk.

I just want to go one day and meet one person who asks where I'm from and does NOT say "oh wow, you are WAY out there...so far!". Even people in Babylon who only live TWENTY minutes away roll their eyes and tell me I live an eternity away. Come on, I know I'm not the only one who notices this.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,951,474 times
Keep up the fight! This is very important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island