Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
People Living on Li to Much don"t know what Rural Means
you have to speak Slow!
Well, you have to consider that it's all relative. If I grew up in an apartment building (like I did), you might consider suburban to be an area where the houses are right next to each other and are built on small lots, and rural can be considered an area where the houses aren't directly next to each other.

But yeah, most of the areas along the Hudson River are considered suburban or even urban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"My point is...why do some people act like central Suffolk is WAY out there when we have a major airport in MacArthur which is considered a legitimate NYC airport. It's literally listed as a New York City airport if you look it up. Yet We get treated like we live in Greenport."

In some metro areas a commute greater than 20 mins. seems like a long one. To such people a commute of an hour would seem 'way out there'. But these same people wouldn't think much of traveling an hour or so to attend a wedding because it's a special event.

I think it's the context that makes a difference; what one is used to, what for, and how often the trip is made.
But in this metro area, an hour isn't that bad. You have people commuting over 2 hours from the Poconos and the Leigh Valley region in Pennsylvania. Many of the suburbs (particularly those west of the Hudson River) can have over an hour commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this thread is dumb

Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
well 25 pages so i guess mybe not so Much

Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 PM

149 posts, read 360,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
I take offense to the comment "Hudson Valley is the sticks". Poughkeepise or towns further south in Dutchess, Orange, and Putnam counties can get to the city faster than places in Central Suffolk, due to the fact there is less traffic on the roads here and Metro-North is better than the LIRR (in terms of on time performance and breakdowns. Just because there is hilly terrian and mountains here doesn't not make the place "the sticks."

Areas surrounding Poughkeepise is all suburban, so what are you talking about rural? The Town of Poughkeepsie (Arlington, Fairview, Spackenhill, Red Oaks Mill) is suburban. Fishkill (Town + Village) and the City of Beacon is not rural. The village of Wappingers Falls and the Town of Wappingers is not rural.

Rural territory in Dutchess County is EAST of the Taconic State Parkway.
I went to college in the Hudson Valley and while Poughkeepsie is surprisingly like downtown Brooklyn in some areas, all you have to do is drive 15-20 minutes away and you are in legitimate farm land where cows are roaming around in huge fields. From Central Suffolk you would have to drive at least 40 minutes east without traffic before you would even come close to seeing a legit farm. Most of the "farms" out east aren't even farms in the traditional sense. They're sod farms. Places like Yankee Stadium use their sod. The Hudson Valley is still mostly in the middle of nowhere. I have driven a LOT there. You will have some actual cities but they are all surrounded in farms and acres and acres of land. What you consider the suburbs in the Hudson Valley is rural to people in Central Suffolk. The yards are much bigger, there is much more space. You see skunks, snakes, deer, gophers, etc. even bears every once in a while. On LI you never see skunks, you never see snakes, you may see deer in the woods on the side of a road somewhere but never in the residential areas. There are no bears on LI. Our wildlife consists of ducks, squirrels, and the occasional raccoon. I actually saw my first ever skunk in Poughkeepsie. Still have yet to see one on LI. It's a different world. Once you pass southern Westchester like Yonkers, New Rochelle, Ossining, etc. and get into Rockland County, it 's really just a bunch of nothingness the rest of the way to Poughkeepsie. LI suburbs will look urban to those in the real country. The assertion that you can get to NYC faster from the Mid-Hudson valley is absolutely false. I would know because I went to the city a handful of times from Poughkeepsie and it's like 2 hours on the train ALONE to Grand Central. That is just BS. Central Suffolk can get you there via the LIRR in 1 hour 20 minutes no questions asked. That's not even counting the express which can get you there in 1 hour. My ears pop driving all the way up there from the mountains and hills, my car has bugs splattered all over it by the time I park, I smell skunks and have even gotten lost by Dutchess Community College because it was like a huge farm maze by there.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 PM

The Hudson Valley hasn't changed much from the 1800's. Most of the big sprawling hills and land is intact. The people stayed in the same area, and the buildings are very old. Long Island has changed more from 1960 to present than the Hudson Valley changed from the 1800's until now. You can still see plenty of really old factories rotting away in the Mid Hudson area. LI is much more progressive and the closer proximity to NYC has sped up the development and influence.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
I went to college in the Hudson Valley and while Poughkeepsie is surprisingly like downtown Brooklyn in some areas, all you have to do is drive 15-20 minutes away and you are in legitimate farm land where cows are roaming around in huge fields. From Central Suffolk you would have to drive at least 40 minutes east without traffic before you would even come close to seeing a legit farm. Most of the "farms" out east aren't even farms in the traditional sense. They're sod farms. Places like Yankee Stadium use their sod. The Hudson Valley is still mostly in the middle of nowhere. I have driven a LOT there. You will have some actual cities but they are all surrounded in farms and acres and acres of land. What you consider the suburbs in the Hudson Valley is rural to people in Central Suffolk. The yards are much bigger, there is much more space. You see skunks, snakes, deer, gophers, etc. even bears every once in a while. On LI you never see skunks, you never see snakes, you may see deer in the woods on the side of a road somewhere but never in the residential areas. There are no bears on LI. Our wildlife consists of ducks, squirrels, and the occasional raccoon. I actually saw my first ever skunk in Poughkeepsie. Still have yet to see one on LI. It's a different world. Once you pass southern Westchester like Yonkers, New Rochelle, Ossining, etc. and get into Rockland County, it 's really just a bunch of nothingness the rest of the way to Poughkeepsie. LI suburbs will look urban to those in the real country. The assertion that you can get to NYC faster from the Mid-Hudson valley is absolutely false. I would know because I went to the city a handful of times from Poughkeepsie and it's like 2 hours on the train ALONE to Grand Central. That is just BS. Central Suffolk can get you there via the LIRR in 1 hour 20 minutes no questions asked. That's not even counting the express which can get you there in 1 hour. My ears pop driving all the way up there from the mountains and hills, my car has bugs splattered all over it by the time I park, I smell skunks and have even gotten lost by Dutchess Community College because it was like a huge farm maze by there.
Quote:
The Hudson Valley hasn't changed much from the 1800's. Most of the big sprawling hills and land is intact. The people stayed in the same area, and the buildings are very old. Long Island has changed more from 1960 to present than the Hudson Valley changed from the 1800's until now. You can still see plenty of really old factories rotting away in the Mid Hudson area. LI is much more progressive and the closer proximity to NYC has sped up the development and influence.
You have a different definition of "rural" than I have. My definition of rural is more of Delaware and Sullivan counties. To be fair Poughkeepsie is of similar distance to Riverhead, so that's a bad example to use of Central Suffolk. I probably should have been more specific of the Hudson Valley (Lower vs Mid). A similar distance from Central Suffolk (45-60 miles) to the city (Manhattan, not Queens or the Bronx) is probably Beacon/Cold Spring/Southeast/Brewster/Newburgh/Cornwall. There are tons of "super express" trains from Beacon (they go non-stop to GCT after Beacon), which take roughly 70 minutes or so to GCT and back. Poughkeepsie is about a 90-110 minute ride to GCT.

With so many problems the LIRR has with signal problems, broken down trains, NY Penn being extremely over congested, the main line needing another track etc...how often does the train actually arrive in NY Penn on time and back to Ronk? The LIRR is not known for it's on time performance last I checked.

All you need to do is look at a map and see why there are so many different kind of animals here. This area is not an island and there are tons of mountains. The bear which was found in Poughkeepise this past summer came from CT!! The bear traveled at least 35+ miles to get to Poughkeepise. Long Island is much more built up because it's much easier to built there. You guys don't have to deal with lakes, rivers, streams, hilly terrain, rocks, mountains etc. It's the coastal plain which is relativity flat. The north shore (Manhasset, Great Neck, Roslyn) does have some hills, but it's nothing compared to other hilly areas.

Nothing has changed here since the 1800s!? Seriously? The farm land is going bye bye due to new developments and shopping centers. The native people living here can tell you so many stories how much has changed. Orange County used to be basically all farm land. The farms there are mostly gone.

Anyway why does it matter how close you're to NYC? Besides Manhattan who cares about the rest of NYC!? If it wasn't for Manhattan, NYC will be one giant sh*t hole. This is coming from someone who was born and raised in Queens!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Quote:
You have a different definition of "rural" than I have. My definition of rural is more of Delaware and Sullivan counties. To be fair Poughkeepsie is of similar distance to Riverhead, so that's a bad example to use of Central Suffolk. I probably should have been more specific of the Hudson Valley (Lower vs Mid). A similar distance from Central Suffolk (45-60 miles) to the city (Manhattan, not Queens or the Bronx) is probably Beacon/Cold Spring/Southeast/Brewster/Newburgh/Cornwall. There are tons of "super express" trains from Beacon (they go non-stop to GCT after Beacon), which take roughly 70 minutes or so to GCT and back. Poughkeepsie is about a 90-110 minute ride to GCT.

With so many problems the LIRR has with signal problems, broken down trains, NY Penn being extremely over congested, the main line needing another track etc...how often does the train actually arrive in NY Penn on time and back to Ronk? The LIRR is not known for it's on time performance last I checked.

All you need to do is look at a map and see why there are so many different kind of animals here. This area is not an island and there are tons of mountains. The bear which was found in Poughkeepise this past summer came from CT!! The bear traveled at least 35+ miles to get to Poughkeepise. Long Island is much more built up because it's much easier to built there. You guys don't have to deal with lakes, rivers, streams, hilly terrain, rocks, mountains etc. It's the coastal plain which is relativity flat. The north shore (Manhasset, Great Neck, Roslyn) does have some hills, but it's nothing compared to other hilly areas.

Nothing has changed here since the 1800s!? Seriously? The farm land is going bye bye due to new developments and shopping centers. The native people living here can tell you so many stories how much has changed. Orange County used to be basically all farm land. The farms there are mostly gone.

Anyway why does it matter how close you're to NYC? Besides Manhattan who cares about the rest of NYC!? If it wasn't for Manhattan, NYC will be one giant sh*t hole. This is coming from someone who was born and raised in Queens!

Well said well said. I have family in Deleware County and it is much much more rural than anywhere in Central Suffolk. So the futher away does not always mean more rural when it comes to Long Island.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:

You used 45 miles as the low end comparison. You are wrong. Slice 15 miles off that and find a Hudson Valley town further south. Central Suffolk is 25-30 miles from the NYC border. The Metro North also goes extremely slow...it goes next to the Hudson river and there are some turns where you feel like it can go into the water. It has to be a cautious ride. I used to get in Grand Central from Poughkeepsie in about 2 hours 1 way. Don't lie, there are still plenty of farms in the area. Explain to me why I got lost in farmland near Dutchess Community College if there are no farms anymore. The area has not changed much compared to how rapidly LI has changed. That's my point. The Hudson Valley kind of reminds me of the mid west. You have some very urban cities all surrounded with vast land and some farms. LI is much more built up and commercialized. You couldn't be more wrong about your comment about NYC being a 5hit hole without Manhattan. Yes Manhattan is the gold standard, but Queens: Citi Field, Jamaica LIRR station main hub, St. John's University, Queens College, Tennis Center, Corona Park. Brooklyn: Barclays Center, Coney Island, Brooklyn Cyclones, hotdog eating contest, etc. Bronx: Yankee Stadium, Bronx Zoo, City Island, Orchard Beach, Fordham, etc. There are still plenty of attractions other than just Manhattan. Staten Island doesn't count lol I don't even know why it's a borough it should be part of NJ.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Lamb chops play-Along - YouTube

Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
You used 45 miles as the low end comparison. You are wrong. Slice 15 miles off that and find a Hudson Valley town further south. Central Suffolk is 25-30 miles from the NYC border. The Metro North also goes extremely slow...it goes next to the Hudson river and there are some turns where you feel like it can go into the water. It has to be a cautious ride. I used to get in Grand Central from Poughkeepsie in about 2 hours 1 way. Don't lie, there are still plenty of farms in the area. Explain to me why I got lost in farmland near Dutchess Community College if there are no farms anymore. The area has not changed much compared to how rapidly LI has changed. That's my point. The Hudson Valley kind of reminds me of the mid west. You have some very urban cities all surrounded with vast land and some farms. LI is much more built up and commercialized. You couldn't be more wrong about your comment about NYC being a 5hit hole without Manhattan. Yes Manhattan is the gold standard, but Queens: Citi Field, Jamaica LIRR station main hub, St. John's University, Queens College, Tennis Center, Corona Park. Brooklyn: Barclays Center, Coney Island, Brooklyn Cyclones, hotdog eating contest, etc. Bronx: Yankee Stadium, Bronx Zoo, City Island, Orchard Beach, Fordham, etc. There are still plenty of attractions other than just Manhattan. Staten Island doesn't count lol I don't even know why it's a borough it should be part of NJ.
But the question is if all of those things would've been built if the boroughs weren't so close to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island