Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times

Advertisements

If you live in Podunk 40 miles outside a city is no big deal...however when you are commuting from a populated area into a highly populated area that's a whole different ballgame.Perception is reality...if it takes me 90 minutes during rush hour to get into Manhatten then it's going to feel like where the OP lives is far from NYC!! Who cares how long it takes you to cross into Queens...the worst part of the commute starts there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
It's become obvious that most of the responders here, have missed a great 1 hour television documentary featured on WLIW (21), last night.
This documentary was more than informative, it was about suburban life, as it was intended to be, encompassing points that can only be fully understood by
those who've seen it from the start, at least as I have, as a postwar boomer now enjoying my 68th year of Long Island life. People seem to move toward
their dreams and aspirations, the logistics are almost secondary, at least when their hearts are inclined to move ahead, to make progress, to take their place
within the now so old and worn, American dream. My wife, who was born in '46, felt as if a trip from Woodside NY, to Levittown, was like taking a ride out
into the country, the miles in distance, were much less apparent than the change in social climate, suburbanites with houses, driveways, and a shopping center,
only a short distance away. If there is nothing else to say, I can only say- it is what it is, and as to whether it is better than what it was, only you have that answer.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Belport Lmfao......

I don't live in Belport lmmfao

Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
No Bellpo roflmaolamf

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
or bellpo either, lmbo.

Gonna have to do a youtube video for rocky point, i know you have your blinders on there too, then i want to read all the excuses.

You'll see it is not like the 4 blocks in patchoque

Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM

64 posts, read 194,556 times
Quote:
I
Nonetheless, Ronko to NYC is by no means prohibitive at a little over an hour.

Crooks.
For somebody who just relocated to Long Island and does this commute everyday (and works a very reasonable, walkable distance from Penn so inter-city commuting is not an issue), I find this to be highly inaccurate at best, and misleading at worst if its the crux of a point you're trying to make.

I take an express train in the AM that has only 2 stop between Ronk and Penn. I have a 10 minute drive to the station. I leave my house at about 6:55, 7:00 and arrive in my office (again, not more than a 7-10 minute walk from Penn) by about 8:45 on most days. Thats with the super express.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 9-5 type job and often do not make the express trains at night that cut off by about 6. My train of choice varies by day, but for discussion purposes, I'll use the 7:11 train as an example since I've taken that one a good amount. I'll leave my office around, 6:50 with the hope that I get there in time to beat the still mad-rush for a seat and not have to stand the whole way home. I'll pull into Ronk between 8:30 and 8:40 and by the time I get to my car and drive home, I'm in the door just before 9.

Hardly "just over an hour" in either direction. I spend 4 hours a day commuting, everyday. Its a choice I've made (for now) because family has luckily allowed us to live with them as we save and its easier for my wife, who has the burden of getting our son to and from preschool as well as her job. But its not easy, or no big deal, as the OP seems to imply it is.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
The super express at 732 is 1hr and 9 min.

Don't be such a wuss. ; )

I did it from Ronko(and Babylon) it's not optimal but doable if you're 9-5.
BTW you took the quote out of context guy. I assure you folks are equally miserable coming from points west at 1hr in too [/quote]

[quote=TheBS19;21411434]For somebody who just relocated to Long Island and does this commute everyday (and works a very reasonable, walkable distance from Penn so inter-city commuting is not an issue), I find this to be highly inaccurate at best, and misleading at worst if its the crux of a point you're trying to make.

I take an express train in the AM that has only 2 stop between Ronk and Penn. I have a 10 minute

Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
For somebody who just relocated to Long Island and does this commute everyday (and works a very reasonable, walkable distance from Penn so inter-city commuting is not an issue), I find this to be highly inaccurate at best, and misleading at worst if its the crux of a point you're trying to make.

I take an express train in the AM that has only 2 stop between Ronk and Penn. I have a 10 minute drive to the station. I leave my house at about 6:55, 7:00 and arrive in my office (again, not more than a 7-10 minute walk from Penn) by about 8:45 on most days. Thats with the super express.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 9-5 type job and often do not make the express trains at night that cut off by about 6. My train of choice varies by day, but for discussion purposes, I'll use the 7:11 train as an example since I've taken that one a good amount. I'll leave my office around, 6:50 with the hope that I get there in time to beat the still mad-rush for a seat and not have to stand the whole way home. I'll pull into Ronk between 8:30 and 8:40 and by the time I get to my car and drive home, I'm in the door just before 9.

Hardly "just over an hour" in either direction. I spend 4 hours a day commuting, everyday. Its a choice I've made (for now) because family has luckily allowed us to live with them as we save and its easier for my wife, who has the burden of getting our son to and from preschool as well as her job. But its not easy, or no big deal, as the OP seems to imply it is.
Quote:
The super express at 732 is 1hr and 9 min.

Don't be such a wuss. ; )

I did it from Ronko(and Babylon) it's not optimal but doable if you're 9-5.
BTW you took the quote out of context guy. I assure you folks are equally miserable coming from points west at 1hr in too
[/quote]

Crooks get real. It's 4 to 4.5 hours average commute for those living in Central Suffolk... unless of course you live across the street from or IN Ronko station, and work right by Penn .. please. You've been touting this 2.5hrs for ronko baloney for so long. It's 2 hours average for Nassau. Even in spite of TheBS19 giving a first hand experience with it, youre still peddling this 1hr and 9 min express train theory. So what, there's 46 min express service to and from Massapequa/Park and no parking issues in the Village. That doesn't mean it will take less than 2 hours commute time. Still about half the time it will take out in central Suffolk though. Time is money.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Come on Pequa...2 hours from Mass Park to the city? I work downtown...drive to the village, get on the LIRR, take a subway from Brooklyn...normal commute is 1.5 hours and that is on a local.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
2 hours average for Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island