Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,860 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking to add a detached garage and I'm trying to see how big L-W-H and if I can use a prefab steel kit.Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,173 times
Contact the Town of Oyster Bay. Best to get the info right from the source.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks, I tried they want engineered drawings and file for permit before they can tell me what's ok.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
You need to know setbacks before you can consider the building size.

Find out what your zoning and setbacks are and what code is for garage size. IF asked volunteer nothing other than 'contemplating a detached garage' 'don't want to seek architect until I know what I am allowed to do'.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks but zoning and setbacks? How and where can I get that? I did get from Town of Oster bay is that it has tobe a at least 3 feet from fence on side and back fence.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needagarage View Post
Thanks but zoning and setbacks? How and where can I get that? I did get from Town of Oster bay is that it has tobe a at least 3 feet from fence on side and back fence.
setbacks are usually noted in the legal description (usually exhibit A where it talks about your street length, how far your house is from the street, etc., etc.) of your commitment (title commitment/policy I believe). I'm not sure if they are also on the survey itself. The survey and legal description should have been included with your closing binder and documents from your attorney when you purchased your home.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needagarage View Post
If they stated setbacks are 3' from back and side lot lines, that gives you some idea as to how large (width and depth) it can be. You also need to know what height restrictions are in place for a garage.

Zoning -- I am referring to commercial and residential. Some towns have a variety of residential levels of zoning, such as Brookhaven. It has been a while and I don't recall Oy Bay's zoning.

You would need to speak with someone in the zoning department to see what your property is zoned as, and once you have that, learn what restrictions there are (if any) as to building size -- square footage AND height.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
setbacks are usually noted in the legal description (usually exhibit A where it talks about your street length, how far your house is from the street, etc., etc.) of your commitment (title commitment/policy I believe). I'm not sure if they are also on the survey itself. The survey and legal description should have been included with your closing binder and documents from your attorney when you purchased your home.
The title and survey do NOT convey the Town's setback requirements for new construction or additions to one's property. There are plenty of houses built before zoning was established which do not meet zoning setbacks, but were issued CZC or letters in lieu. My own house is one.

Some towns now require updated surveys with building apps, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island