Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of moving to Fairfield County in CT. I would not say it's cheaper than LI espeically once factor in gas and tolls.

I would check out areas around Amityville except Copiague, Wyandanch, Central Islip, Brentwood. Amityville south of Montauk is gorgeous but the schools aren't rated to be the best. SIL went through Amityville school system but said it was rough in the HS. If you're sending your kids to private schools, it's not an issue.

If your DH doesn't mind a bit of traffic/drive, you could also look into Holbrook, Oakdale, Bohemia, Ronkonkoma, Patchogue.

Farmingdale, Lindenhurst, Bay Shore, W Babylon (South of the Southern state), Deer Park (some areas), Bay Shore (some areas) are probably going to be your best bet for rentals that have decent schools.

ETA to clarify: We are moving to Fairfield County

Last edited by cottercutie; 10-27-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM

626 posts, read 903,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker0508 View Post
We had heard that CT was cheapier than LI. The $130 price for a house depends on where in TX. So yes we are ready for the sticker shock.
It depends on where in CT. Some parts are very pricy. I'd suggest doing more research and not just take our word.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
True, that. Grew up here, lived in DC/Virginia for 20 years, been back for 4 years, still put off by how blunt, nosy, aggressive, and judgmental people here can be. "Abrasive" is a good word for it. Sure, some are terrific. But if you're used to the South, people on Long Island will seem inordinately preoccupied with other people's business, and more concerned with what others do/get/earn/pay than neighborliness and a sense of community call for.

Honestly? I'd stay in the South if I were the OP.
Blunt, nosy, aggressive, judgmental, preoccupied with other peoples business

No one likes that. vvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Addiction.

Dang straight they should be taxed--right out of existence. It is a filthy, disgusting, destructive habit, with absolutely no redeeming value except to make tobacco company shareholders rich. There are no health benefits, only detriments, not only for the smoker, but everyone around the smoker. Tax, tax, tax ahoy!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Babylon Village, Lindenhurst, Brightwaters are all great neighborhoods that have a "neighborhood" type feel. We live in Brightwaters and it's a really lovely area. I would also look into West Islip, parts of West/North Babylon, Massapequa, Dix Hills, parts of Deer Park, parts of Bay Shore. All would be a reasonable commute of about 20 mins to Amityville.

Also, be prepared to pay a 1 month's rent fee to the Real estate broker.
Plus, they offer the advantage of being along the LIRR Babylon Branch (except for Dix Hills and Deer Park), so she has an alternative to get to work in case her car doesn't work or something, and better service to Manhattan.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Plus, they offer the advantage of being along the LIRR Babylon Branch (except for Dix Hills and Deer Park), so she has an alternative to get to work in case her car doesn't work or something, and better service to Manhattan.
Most places in the communities listed are NOT within walking distance of the LIRR station; and if the car doesn't work, then being along the LIRR Babylon Branch would not be of any help.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
LIke I stated in your other topic. I suggest the town of brookhaven. I grew up in lindenhurst and those areas are great community and neighborhood driven areas , they can be expensive.

Brookhaven has great school districts and can be cheaper due to bigger school district size.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:39 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Since you have children, the first thing I would do is look at the school districts and see which are rated well. I know Massapequa, Babylon, West Islip and Lindenhurst all have good school districts. As someone else mentioned on here, stay away from Amityville schools, Copiague Schools, Wyandanch and even West Babylon these days b/c the high school is in decline. Also, since your husband will be working in Amityville, you can also look more central Long Island by Bethpage and Plainview/Old Bethpage. Each of those school districts are very good too. I wouldn't recommend Farmingdale. I moved from there b/c the high school is in decline as well. But if you want to live right next to Amityville, the good towns are Lindenhurst and Massapequa. Most of Long Island has a neighborhood feel so I wouldn't worry to much about that.

You asked what hte cost of a gallon of milk was in your original post. Last time I checked it was $3.99 or $4.00. Good luck with your search. Depending on how far your husband is willing to travel to Amityville for work, there are many, many different areas on Long Island that are good areas which you can look in. My parents live in South Amityville (moved there after us kids moved out of our childhood home) and they travel to my home on the North shore to babysit my son in the morning before I leave for work and it takes them about 35-40 minutes to get to by me in rush hour traffic. They are about 23 miles away from me in Kings Park.

Oh, and as far as Connecticut, that is just too far to drive for work in Amityville. If you look on a map, it may seem close to the northern tip of Long Island (like 20 miles) but that's if you got to Connecticut by water. Otherwise it would take a few hours to get there from Amityville. Not a good commute.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Most places in the communities listed are NOT within walking distance of the LIRR station; and if the car doesn't work, then being along the LIRR Babylon Branch would not be of any help.
There are buses in those neighborhoods that connect with the LIRR (some of them even go directly to Amityville, depending on what area you're in)

Here's a map of the Suffolk County transit system: http://www.sct-bus.org/links/030811_sct_systemmap.pdf

Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
There are buses in those neighborhoods that connect with the LIRR (some of them even go directly to Amityville, depending on what area you're in)

Here's a map of the Suffolk County transit system: http://www.sct-bus.org/links/030811_sct_systemmap.pdf
Yep, the N19, N54/N55 are two that are also very convenient to Amityville and the south shore towns.

http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n19/n19_new.pdf (broken link)

http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n5455/n5455_new.pdf (broken link)

http://www.mta.info/libus/mapnassaubus.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker0508 View Post
We had heard that CT was cheapier than LI. The $130 price for a house depends on where in TX. So yes we are ready for the sticker shock.
Sadly the sticker shock and what you'll be getting compared to Texas will be hard to swallow. I'd do a few weekday visits to get a feel for what the Island is like and see if it's for you. The Island does have it's good points but I'd have a hard time recommending it to folks use to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island