U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 PM

3,362 posts, read 3,760,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Yep, the N19, N54/N55 are two that are also very convenient to Amityville and the south shore towns.

http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n19/n19_new.pdf (broken link)

http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n5455/n5455_new.pdf (broken link)

http://www.mta.info/libus/mapnassaubus.pdf (broken link)
That is also true (though the N55 doesn't go past the Sunrise Mall). Add the N80/N81 to the list as well (they also end at the Sunrise Mall).

The thing is that east of Massapequa, they parallel the LIRR and all things being equal, the LIRR is the better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM

1,980 posts, read 2,047,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post

You asked what hte cost of a gallon of milk was in your original post. Last time I checked it was $3.99 or $4.00. Good luck with your search. Depending on how far your husband is willing to travel to Amityville for work, there are many, many different areas on Long Island that are good areas which you can look in. My parents live in South Amityville (moved there after us kids moved out of our childhood home) and they travel to my home on the North shore to babysit my son in the morning before I leave for work and it takes them about 35-40 minutes to get to by me in rush hour traffic. They are about 23 miles away from me in Kings Park.
Milk in Holbrook @ Stop and Shop is $3.89, Waldbaums/Pathmark - $4.29

Best bet - Costco - $2.79

Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,549,808 times
My wife handles a lot of relocation's for her company between various offices and TX is one of the places that gives the most bang for the employees buck. NY, NJ & CA are the worst.

Here are some COL calculators to get a thumb nail of the changes you will face. Note, that they exclude taxes which on the Island are very high.

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I wouldn't worry about the price of milk as much as the other costs that will hit you day to day.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:52 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 PM
gag

659 posts, read 690,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I wouldn't worry about the price of milk as much as the other costs that will hit you day to day.
Exactly, like how about car insurance here

A fully insured car here will be most likely 2X to 3X that in TX

Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,549,808 times
Yup, a lot of things to consider, especially if the relo is optional for the person. When times were good and before the housing boom Islanders spent about 33% of their income on housing. These days I'd hate to think what it is considering other parts of the country are now up in those numbers (We're all Islanders now?).

Some day cares for the OP to contact to get a feel for prices and availability.
Long Island Child Care, Day Care Centers on Long Island New York

Apartment finder, which they'll need as they get settled.
LI Apartment & Rental Finder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island