U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2011, 09:44 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,182,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There is no reservation in Mastic.

The Poospatuck reservation may be surrounded by Mastic but it is not in Mastic nor is it in the Town of Brookhaven.

Sorry Walter but Poospatuck is most certainly in Mastic, Brookhaven township.

The Poospatuck Reservation is an Indian reservation in the community of Mastic, Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 271 at the 2000 census.
The reservation is the smallest in New York State. It is located in Mastic on the north side of Poospatuck Creek, on the east side of Poospatuck Lane, and south of Eleanor Avenue. Poospatuck is situated in the southeast corner of Suffolk County's Town of Brookhaven; and is the township's sole Indian reservation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,936,359 times
In New York State, all counties are divided into cities, towns and Indian reservations.

While it may appear that the Poospatuck reservation (or, the Shinnecock reservation) is in the Town of Brookhaven (is in the Town of Southampton), the reservation is not within the jurisdiction of the town that it appears to be in.

Or, in other words, the Town of Brookhaven (the Town of Southampton) has no authority over what occurs within the borders of the Poospatuck (Shinnecock) reservation.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,182,884 times
But that does not make sense. A reservation can not be in a magical pararell universe Walter. It is in Mastic which is in the town of Brookhaven. If someone asks where it is located, what is the answer?

A magic hemisphere? No. Its in Mastic. Thats it. If it is not located in Mastic, then please tell me where it is located. I am dying to know.

http://www.narf.org/nill/bulletins/d.../gristedes.pdf

I understand it is not under jurisdiction - but I am talking strictly about physical location. If not Mastic, then where? la la land?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,936,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
But that does not make sense. A reservation can not be in a magical pararell universe Walter. It is in Mastic which is in the town of Brookhaven. If someone asks where it is located, what is the answer?

A magic hemisphere? No. Its in Mastic. Thats it. If it is not located in Mastic, then please tell me where it is located. I am dying to know.
If someone asks where it (the Poospatuck reservation) is located, the answer is, the Poospatuck reservation is adjacent to Mastic, surrounded by the Town of Brookhaven but not within the Town of Brookhaven.

Suffolk County is sub-divided into 10 towns and 2 Indian reservations, and while surrounded by a town, neither of these 2 Indian reservations is within any of the 10 towns.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM

13,905 posts, read 16,529,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
you can tell if someone is native american by thier cheek bones.
You can't be serious with that statement.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,521,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It must be true because i have heard you can tell someones ethnicity by their nose size also

Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,098,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

serious as cancer.

btw, an indian told me. yes, an indian determines another indian by thier cheek bones.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4213158AAz7dZT

Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM

307 posts, read 236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Are the Indian reservations in suffolk still in the cigarette business?
I need several cartons. I'm a social smoker but go through them quick when I drink and play poker with the boys. Sick of paying $10 a pack , this 100% unconstitutional tax to support the NY pensioners. What reservations are open for biz??
How exactly is the tax unconstitutional?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM

24 posts, read 17,465 times
The tax is not unconstitutional but the way they tax may be.
I do not smoke but that tax is absurd.
If I enjoyed drinking tea & the government found their studies were conclusive "that tea is bad for you" so we are going to tax it at 250%-I would be working on the next tea party!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Status: "Chance of snow this weekend..." (set 14 hours ago)

3,552 posts, read 3,777,624 times
Thats why regular smokers go out of state, even with the cost of the trip it is less than NY state/city taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island