Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 AM

14 posts, read 24,462 times

Advertisements

I need cities 50 miles from Amityville. We are looking to move to LI but I have heard not to live there. So I am trying to look for other cities. We are a family of 6. My husband says 50 miles is the most he will travel to work. That is about what he travels now and it takes him about 1hr 20minutes. So if the mileage is more but the travel time is the same I know I can talk him into that as well. I will be looking for a job once we get there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker0508 View Post
I need cities 50 miles from Amityville. We are looking to move to LI but I have heard not to live there. So I am trying to look for other cities. We are a family of 6. My husband says 50 miles is the most he will travel to work. That is about what he travels now and it takes him about 1hr 20minutes. So if the mileage is more but the travel time is the same I know I can talk him into that as well. I will be looking for a job once we get there as well.
budget?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
If distance is the BIGGEST factor in where you live, the options are endless. There is a lot of knowledge on this board so give some finer details and you'll get a lot of help. With a family of 6 you'll want to consider the school district also.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
May I suggest Rocky Point on the North Shore. It will meet both time and distance requirements for your hubby's travel.

It is the BEST Value on the North Shore.

With your housing budget you could buy two bungalows there...

The children will love the rocky point schools. They even have world champion cheerleaders.

I understand that people from Texas like cheerleaders.

and..in the Town of Brookhaven, you can raise livestock on your property.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Yes

If you don't like Rocky Point, try Lake Ronkonkoma - seems to be another fan favorite on this forum that gets bi-weekly bashings. At least its not weekly like Mastic Shirley or DAILY like Rocky Point.

Savaged

Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Can't help you without a budget. There are dozens of decent hamlets/towns/whatever. Are you looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom house?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Definitely need a budget and some kind of background as to what you're looking for. Amityville Village is a decent area actually for LI, probably better than most parts of Suffolk (and Texas). The school is not great but coming from Texas it might be an improvement. It's North Amityville that you want to avoid. DM Walter Greenspan for an explanation on the geography of it.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
Budget.

You don't have to be 50 miles from Amityville to have a great community.

Brightwaters, Babylon, Lindenhurst, Farmingdale, West Islip, East Islip, Sayville are all great little villages. Bay Shore, Deer Park, N/W Babylon have great areas. Ronkonkoma, Patchogue Village, Oakdale, Holbrook, Bohemia.. the list is endless.... 50 miles is quite a wide net to cast and there are some great areas of South Shore Suffolk that would meet your needs, even a few in Southern Nassau but those areas tend to be more expensive.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker0508 View Post
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Long Island is an island approximately 118 miles long. Amityville is ON that island. It is in towards the middle in Suffolk County (three counties in, east of Brooklyn, Queens, and Nassau) and rather far from the mainland USA.

If your husband works in Amityville, you will be living on Long Island. If you have "heard not to live there" then perhaps your husband should not accept this job. Being a transplant isn't easy, but if your mindset about Long Island is so negative, then I cannot see how your husband taking a job in Amityville Long Island will work out in the long run for your family. It may be better and more realistic all around to just forget this idea than to try and scheme the impossible: working in Amityville, yet not living on Long Island.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
No, no-makes perfect sense. I wanted to live in Southern California and figured I should live at least 3000 miles from Watts 'cause it's a bad neighborhood.
Bingo-LONG ISLAND.
Oddly, the neighborhood I chose has a lot in common with Watts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island