U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,761 posts, read 16,363,549 times
Reputation: 6403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Privatizing the LI BUS is a TERRIBLE idea. The whole reason we have public mass transit in first place is that private companies could not turn a profit on them. They are not meant to turn a profit, they are meant to provide a needed public service. This means that in addition to the fare paid, there will be money coming in to the system from the state, federal and local governments.

the Subway system in NYC at one point was privately run, but one by one they went bankrupt and the city/state took over.
I would have preferred LI Bus not be privatized but Nassau County would not pay its fair share of the costs to run it and these private companies who bid to take over claimed they could run it much cheaper than the MTA. However, if you read the article I linked to in post #8, you will see that Nassau is completely INEPT in negotiating with Veolia, plus it seems Veolia is now not ruling out immediate fare increases/service cuts (before they said they would keep it the same in the first 1-2 years) and may end up wanting as much/or almost as much public funds to run the bus as the MTA did. It is SCARY how many things are NOT worked out yet by Nassau County with Veolia when Veolia is supposed to take over on 1/1/12 ... a few short months away.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM
 
938 posts, read 1,011,996 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Right now the average Nassau household pays around $225 a YEAR for sewer services.

If it is switched to a privatized system, it will be a lot more. If you look at the link I posted above (#8), it says:



And who knows how much more it will go up, year after year after year. For a sewer system that is already paid for. It's just like another tax hidden under another name. Prices will go up for Nassau's citizens a lot more than if Mangano broke his promise and raised taxes to cover the shortfalls. I would rather pay more taxes.
The point you originally tried to make was about public service monopolies. So what does any of this have to do with public service monopolies? Whether it's public or private, whether you pay two hundred bucks or two thousand bucks a year, it's still a monopoly if you don't have a choice. Perhaps you don't quite understand the concept of a monopoly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,761 posts, read 16,363,549 times
Reputation: 6403
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
The point you originally tried to make was about public service monopolies. So what does any of this have to do with public service monopolies? Whether it's public or private, whether you pay two hundred bucks or two thousand bucks a year, it's still a monopoly if you don't have a choice. Perhaps you don't quite understand the concept of a monopoly.
Reread my original post for the point I was trying to make.

And obviously some things are going to be a monopoly, as you have pointed out, because there isn't room for another provider. However when it comes to things that are a necessity of life, people are usually less ripped off by public entities than private entities. Usually, not always.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM
 
938 posts, read 1,011,996 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Reread my original post for the point I was trying to make.

And obviously some things are going to be a monopoly, as you have pointed out, because there isn't room for another provider. However when it comes to things that are a necessity of life, people are usually less ripped off by public entities than private entities. Usually, not always.
Actually, I've re-read your original post several times. That's why I've asked (more than once) what your point is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
 
1,144 posts, read 1,105,899 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would have preferred LI Bus not be privatized but Nassau County would not pay its fair share of the costs to run it and these private companies who bid to take over claimed they could run it much cheaper than the MTA. However, if you read the article I linked to in post #8, you will see that Nassau is completely INEPT in negotiating with Veolia, plus it seems Veolia is now not ruling out immediate fare increases/service cuts (before they said they would keep it the same in the first 1-2 years) and may end up wanting as much/or almost as much public funds to run the bus as the MTA did. It is SCARY how many things are NOT worked out yet by Nassau County with Veolia when Veolia is supposed to take over on 1/1/12 ... a few short months away.
Interestingly, I believe that the MTA owns many of the buses, will they stay on LI, or go with the MTA?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
 
1 posts, read 559 times
Reputation: 10
Thirty nine years ago all of Nassau's bus system was private and it couldn't work anymore. This brings us to 2012 and to make a long story short anything Ed Mangano and Al D'Amato are involved with should be scrutinized very carefully. Fares will skyrocket and service will be cut to the bone. Whose pockets are going to get lined? Whose relatives are in line for big paying, do nothing jobs?

I worked for MSBA / MTA Long Island Bus for 27 years and while the MTA is not without fault they did try to bring Nassau into the twenty first century. I'm thankful that I retired a few years ago and moved out of that tax infested, corrupt county.

I feel for the poor people who have to rely on the bus service run by Veolia. Look at their history of poor service and labor unrest in systems much larger than Nassau's (Phoenix, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Escambia County, FL and numerous cities in Canada. IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PRETTY!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,394 posts, read 2,753,675 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by exbusdriver View Post
Thirty nine years ago all of Nassau's bus system was private and it couldn't work anymore. This brings us to 2012 and to make a long story short anything Ed Mangano and Al D'Amato are involved with should be scrutinized very carefully. Fares will skyrocket and service will be cut to the bone. Whose pockets are going to get lined? Whose relatives are in line for big paying, do nothing jobs?

I worked for MSBA / MTA Long Island Bus for 27 years and while the MTA is not without fault they did try to bring Nassau into the twenty first century. I'm thankful that I retired a few years ago and moved out of that tax infested, corrupt county.

I feel for the poor people who have to rely on the bus service run by Veolia. Look at their history of poor service and labor unrest in systems much larger than Nassau's (Phoenix, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Escambia County, FL and numerous cities in Canada. IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PRETTY!!!
Privatized transportation systems whether it be railroads or buses don't really work very well, I worry about NC saving money and being able to manage anything. This will impact the people that can least afford price increases or cuts in services, seems to me there are other areas in the county that they could cut.

This entire deal should have been voted on before the election, not after and all the details be clear now since it will be in effect early next year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,318 posts, read 3,523,207 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Last time I checked the LIRR didn't stop in New Cassel. Prospect Ave and Union Aves in New Cassel are some of the heaviest portions of the N22 route.
The LIRR can be an option but they will have to run more trains local for sure!
But there would be more room for them because people in Hicksville and Westbury would be on the LIRR. Plus, I'm sure if they're that desperate to get to work, they'll hike it out to Hicksville or Westbury rather than being flagged by a bunch of N22 buses.

I mean the monthly pass isn't bad: $82 is cheaper than paying for the bus ($2.25 - bonus = $2.10 per ride * 20 weekdays * 2 trips per day = $84) if you ride it every weekday. If you ride more, you save even more. Even if you have to use the bus for a crosstown trip occasionally, it's still cheaper to buy the monthly LIRR pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
the Subway system in NYC at one point was privately run, but one by one they went bankrupt and the city/state took over.
To be fair, there were a lot of regulations that were imposed that bankrupted them. The IRT and BMT started out making a profit, and the government put pressure on them to hold the fare artificially low, and knew they'd go bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Interestingly, I believe that the MTA owns many of the buses, will they stay on LI, or go with the MTA?
I'm pretty sure Nassau owns the buses themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This entire deal should have been voted on before the election, not after and all the details be clear now since it will be in effect early next year.
And that's what should worry a lot of people. If it was looking good, they'd want it in before the election so everybody could see what a great job they did.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,394 posts, read 2,753,675 times
Reputation: 1575
So why isn't Westchester and Suffolk taking over the bus service if there are so many obvious savings to be achieved, don't they understand how much money they can save by privatizing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,318 posts, read 3,523,207 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So why isn't Westchester and Suffolk taking over the bus service if there are so many obvious savings to be achieved, don't they understand how much money they can save by privatizing?
I believe they are already operated by private companies (both Bee-Line and SCT), but because the counties are paying their fair share, you don't hear much about them.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top