U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,963 posts, read 19,757,803 times
Reputation: 17247

Advertisements

If they want to sell that house they need to drop the price way down.... maybe instead of $459,000 try $359,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Dead end - Long Island,
999 posts, read 1,966,590 times
Reputation: 354
359,000 You're crazy, it's 1000 sq ft, how the hell do you figure 359k for 1000 sq ft....

People are insane with these house prices, INSANE, and you all wonder why everyone leaves and there is nothing here and nothing else works..

People work to keep a roof over there head, and a small pos roof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now a Rehoboth Beach Bunny
7,266 posts, read 9,655,515 times
Reputation: 6957
I suggested a drop in price by 30k as a starting point. I know the area very well and while sight unseen in person, I suggested they go to MLS and look at the competition and he will no doubt see what I am talking about. They are so over priced it is ridiculous but to price a house at $459,000 and chop the price to where it deserves to be, would signal that it must be a disaster and it will not generate any interest at all, whereas, a nice drop with motivated seller and then every so often a second or third drop would not be so attention grabbing. I wish them luck and let it serve as a warning that you must use a broker who knows your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,039 posts, read 18,417,553 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I suggested a drop in price by 30k as a starting point. I know the area very well and while sight unseen in person, I suggested they go to MLS and look at the competition and he will no doubt see what I am talking about. They are so over priced it is ridiculous but to price a house at $459,000 and chop the price to where it deserves to be, would signal that it must be a disaster and it will not generate any interest at all, whereas, a nice drop with motivated seller and then every so often a second or third drop would not be so attention grabbing. I wish them luck and let it serve as a warning that you must use a broker who knows your area.

Contrary to general opinion, one large price drop is much more effective than several smaller ones. You DO want to attract attention, not have potential buyers say, "oh, another little price adjustment on an overpriced house"; people start to ignore it after a while.

And you should definitely find an agent who can count (and knows how to market properly). Five rooms when it's seven--that hurts as much as the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: East Northport
3,200 posts, read 8,127,761 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
And you should definitely find an agent who can count (and knows how to market properly). Five rooms when it's seven--that hurts as much as the price.
Sometimes when you run out of fingers, you have to also use those on your other hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,039 posts, read 18,417,553 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Sometimes when you run out of fingers, you have to also use those on your other hand.

LOL and of course there are always the toes...

Then again, some agents count closets as rooms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
7,201 posts, read 8,803,055 times
Reputation: 6965
From looking at the add I noticed a few things:
1) Iron bars on front door usually means a Senior Citizen or crime issues.
2) Room details seem lost with the decore
3) Why is the fridge not in the kitchen?
4) Nice yard, probally larger than it looks outside pictures could be better.

Price, I think ridicules but that is the market up there and as many would say "well worth the privilage"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 PM
 
418 posts, read 915,843 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Contrary to general opinion, one large price drop is much more effective than several smaller ones. You DO want to attract attention, not have potential buyers say, "oh, another little price adjustment on an overpriced house"; people start to ignore it after a while.
I agree with this strategy:
To me a single substantial price drop spells assertiveness and determination to sell; many tiny reductions spell indecisiveness and eventually desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,039 posts, read 18,417,553 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
From looking at the add I noticed a few things:
1) Iron bars on front door usually means a Senior Citizen or crime issues.
2) Room details seem lost with the decore
3) Why is the fridge not in the kitchen?
4) Nice yard, probally larger than it looks outside pictures could be better.

Price, I think ridicules but that is the market up there and as many would say "well worth the privilage"..
1) what's wrong with it being a Senior Citizen? (although it often means it needs updating) As was previously talked about, the storm door is "decorative", not "iron bars" - that's not the front door but the storm door. If you're worried about crime, you'd have bars over the windows and the door!

2) not that easy to take photos of a room and make it "meaningful", especially if the rooms are smaller

3) Looks to me as though that fridge is in the basement, probably an extra one--not uncommon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM
 
332 posts, read 712,722 times
Reputation: 122
For that house, and all the work and updates that it seems needs to be put into it, plus the shared driveway, not to mention the lack of property, I wouldn't pay more than 250K for that house....

Real estate is so overpriced on LI it's sickening.....and you wonder why all the young 20 and 30 somethings are leaving....

Btw, what are the taxes on that house? Probably around 10K I'm assuming....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top