Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,097 times

Advertisements

How long does it take to sell a house on Long Island?
My parent's put up the house for sale mid september 2011, and I'm eager to move away, when can it be expected to be sold in this kind of market, is there any way of telling?

http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_...ypeprop=1&st=2

Last edited by strangerpurp; 11-01-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerpurp View Post
My parent's put up the house for sale mid september 2011, and I'm eager to move away, when can it be expected to be sold in this kind of market, is there any way of telling?

MLSLI.com
This is some of what I as a Realtor see:

Looks like a well-cared for house, but most likely not updated (hard to tell from the photos)

listing date: Oct. 7 (not mid-September)

Now to possible (perceived) negatives and slip-ups by the listing agent:
  • number of rooms: listed as 5 (someone can't count here - 4 BRs, an EIK, Family room and an office; to me, that's 7. But when agents (or buyers) search by number of rooms, this could get overlooked if they put in a minimum of 6 or 7 rooms
  • no photo of kitchen - suspicious (how bad is it that there's no photo?)
  • party driveway - could be a drawback, unless all houses in the area have that
  • well water - plenty of buyers shy away from that
  • commission: 1 1/2% to the selling agent; same amount of work, less pay. Many agents won't show it voluntarily because of it (unless buyer asks to see it); I'm not saying it's right, merely pointing out a reason why it could take longer (would you take the same job but for less pay?).
Last but definitely NOT least, is it priced right? (Didn't take the time to check) With all the inventory out there, if you want to sell NOW, don't list it with last year's asking price...

Can houses sell fast in this market? I believe so.
My last listing in Dix Hills was first available to be shown on Labor Day, had several offers and ended up with two excellent same price offers still in September (very close to asking). Terms ended up being the deciding factor (money down, type of mortgage, etc.) and once the attorneys got their act together, the house was in contract by mid-October. Expecting to close after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas. Price, location, school and condition all came together.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
I am putting ours on market today.
Asking price is $1 but it is an 'as is' sale which means our three daughters and 13 year old dog with loose kidneys are included.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerpurp View Post

MLSLI.com
8 months, 23 days.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM

150 posts, read 297,879 times
I know Zillow isn't usually well loved, but when I looked at Redfin the slisting price was higher than both Zillow and eappraisal's high. So I'm guessing when the real estate agent and your parents comes up with a more realistic price you'll have a chance of selling.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We have two houses for sale. One had an accepted price within days, went to contract within two weeks in April and will close in two weeks from now ; why they wait ; it was our choice as we needed to use the property for a business.

The second went for sale on Auugust 31st. A few viewings, no offers at all ; looks like the house above but with vinyl siding. May drop the price soon. Another house two doors up is for sale for $20,000 more than ours ; the house is exactely the same.

If it is priced right, it will move

Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
This is some of what I as a Realtor see:

Looks like a well-cared for house, but most likely not updated (hard to tell from the photos)

listing date: Oct. 7 (not mid-September)

Now to possible (perceived) negatives and slip-ups by the listing agent:
  • number of rooms: listed as 5 (someone can't count here - 4 BRs, an EIK, Family room and an office; to me, that's 7. But when agents (or buyers) search by number of rooms, this could get overlooked if they put in a minimum of 6 or 7 rooms
  • no photo of kitchen - suspicious (how bad is it that there's no photo?)
  • party driveway - could be a drawback, unless all houses in the area have that
  • well water - plenty of buyers shy away from that
  • commission: 1 1/2% to the selling agent; same amount of work, less pay. Many agents won't show it voluntarily because of it (unless buyer asks to see it); I'm not saying it's right, merely pointing out a reason why it could take longer (would you take the same job but for less pay?).
Last but definitely NOT least, is it priced right? (Didn't take the time to check) With all the inventory out there, if you want to sell NOW, don't list it with last year's asking price...

Can houses sell fast in this market? I believe so.
My last listing in Dix Hills was first available to be shown on Labor Day, had several offers and ended up with two excellent same price offers still in September (very close to asking). Terms ended up being the deciding factor (money down, type of mortgage, etc.) and once the attorneys got their act together, the house was in contract by mid-October. Expecting to close after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas. Price, location, school and condition all came together.
Not having a picture of the kitchen is a bad idea. Even if it's outdated, if it looks usable that's better than if it's falling apart.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:00 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Agree. EVERYONE wants to know what the kitchen looks like, even if just to get a sense of the size and layout of the space.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I know when I've look at MLSLI it was always important to me to see the inside of the home, especially the kitchen bath, and bedrooms. I have seen homes with just pics of the outside. Why is that?? Do the sellers not want pictures of the inside of their home taken? Or are they afraid once someone sees the inside online they might want to look at it in person?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
The house I live in now was one we saw driving by and called our realtor. We found out it was on the market a week and we were the first ones to offer full price and it sold 2 days later. We are here 8 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island