U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:21 PM

2,854 posts, read 4,489,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
It has been over 90 degrees every day for two months now in SW Florida. Kids play outside? My husband and his boss went to play golf. He got heat stroke. It was 97 degrees with a heat index of 105. The WATER temperature is now 90 degrees.

I am 58. I would rather shovel over a foot of snow, and I have ALONE, than suffer HEAT STROKE.

I WANT the cold. I don't care about beaches. I want to see the leaves turn. I want to see SNOW.

I hope some day, if I live long enough, to go HOME.
You'd sooner suffer a heart attack from shoveling snow then suffering a heat stroke in SW Florida. No one needs to play golf in high heat. You do however need to dig out your car in order to drive it. And as for the intensely hot days, my boys play outside before 12:00 PM and after 5:00 PM. In between they're often swimming in the pool or relaxing inside.

I'll get to see the leaves turn (and then fall and need to be raked). However just about now the temperatures start easing and outdoor activities become viable again.

Y'know, I just don't get it. I don't think anyone moving further north is making a mistake; it's a decision that works for them. I also don't think anyone moving further south, or west or anywhere for that matter is wrong. There are excellent reasons why so many people are relocating from Long Island to North Carolina, Arizona and Florida. It's not clichéd so much as highly publicized. It's the same exact mindset that built Long Island into what it is today.

For the original poster: there's a long list of decision points my family went through before deciding where to relocate. Raleigh, NC was a fit for almost every item except proximity to the ocean. We found fits elsewhere but none quite as good. The last thing we'd ever do is follow the crowd.... unless of course they're headed where we want to go. But that would be about coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,120,647 times
I'll answer:

yes.
EVerything stops when ther eis snow. They just don't have the plows & supplies to handle it. Since it only happens once or twice a season it is not that big a deal.
The good thing is they cancel school county-wide, the night before, thus avoiding being glued to the tv or web to figure out what schools are closed, or are opening late. Also you don't have the farce of getting the kids to school, only to be called an hour later to pick them up. You just have asnow day.
Last year both snowfalls were melted by noon!
the year or so before, I am told there was a paralyzing ice storm. People were stuck on the road for hours. Last year it seemed people were so spooked by that that they just stayed in for a few hours till it melted!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,986,115 times
Thanks NYer:

That doesn't sound bad at all.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 PM

29 posts, read 70,195 times
I just got back from Long Island after spending june and july there. I moved to texas 29 years ago and after going home for that visit I know why I left. Ny york is Crazy!! Everything is over priced.. The food, the gas, the houses!!
By the way Thank you to all you Hollywood folks for destroying the Hamptons. My brother use to be a lifeguard in Hither hills montawk point back in the 60's and it was a beautiful drive along the coast, now its a traffic nightmare!.... The beaches are still the best. You get soooo much more for your money in Texas. The Woodlands is beautiful.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
NCN

19,887 posts, read 19,242,416 times
Default Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
North Carolina Native:

Is it true that states like North Carolina become paralyzed when there is even a little bit of snow? That is what other New Yorkers have posted on these forum boards, any validity to it.
Yes. It doesn't really matter that you are experienced at driving in snow. You won't be able to get anywhere because of all the other drivers.

My dad used to drive the snow plow from the Blue Ridge Parkway to the bottom of the hill on Highway 16 and other places too, but that was his most challenging route. It was a volunteer assignment for him. He was really with the bridge department. The mountains are cleared sooner than other areas, because they have the equipment. Interstates are usually cleared also.

My husband knows how to drive in snow, but you should hear him talking about what he has had to do to get home. We love snow and go a little crazy when we get some, which is not often in Union County. But you do not want to be on our roads. It is not safe.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,986,115 times
I didn't realize that Union county outside of Charlotte even got snow. How far south do you have to go to avoid any snow?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM

620 posts, read 1,817,786 times
Last winter it didn't snow at all. If it does snow, it will be once or twice during the entire winter.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 PM

64 posts, read 204,987 times
This is one Long Islander that knew there was another place to move. LOL
We are moving to northern Alabama, where the winters are milder but they do have 4 seasons - summer being hot/humid, spring and summer moderate and very nice (I'm told) and winters not as cold as here, gets down to 30 degrees, and I guess a little colder at times. They haven't had snow in a couple of years but it does snow there but then it melts right away, and yes, they all stay off the roads in snow and ice.
We aren't there yet but will be soon.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:11 PM
NCN

19,887 posts, read 19,242,416 times
Default Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I didn't realize that Union county outside of Charlotte even got snow. How far south do you have to go to avoid any snow?
Key West would be my guess.

We don't get a lot of snow. City-data has those little charts that you can look up cities or towns and it has averages for different weather. Our Winter season is usually between January 15 and February 15. We don't usually get much lower than 20 degrees. We consider that extremely cold. The mountain areas of North Carolina will sometimes get single digit temperatures and they have a longer Winter season. We keep hoping for snow on Christmas; but I can't remember it ever happening here, although I am sure it has at some time.

I always feel jealous when the mountains get snow and all we get is a horrible ice storm. Once in 30 years we had to check into a hotel because our electricity was off for several days and we heat with an electric heat pump. Our electric rates are very reasonable.

Our snows are usually about 1-4 inches, but every once in a while it will be more. More than that could happen once every 5 to 10 years. We always take pictures when it does.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,923,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieS View Post
This is one Long Islander that knew there was another place to move. LOL
We are moving to northern Alabama, where the winters are milder but they do have 4 seasons - summer being hot/humid, spring and summer moderate and very nice (I'm told) and winters not as cold as here, gets down to 30 degrees, and I guess a little colder at times. They haven't had snow in a couple of years but it does snow there but then it melts right away, and yes, they all stay off the roads in snow and ice.
We aren't there yet but will be soon.
This Long Islander moved to Nashville, TN. Our winters can have snow, about 2 inches total last year. Weather changes by the day, so it never usually stays to hot or 2 cold for long. This year we did have a heat wave but that was not usual.
We have Theater, Ballet, Symphony, Museums, so plenty to do.
We had left LI first for NJ for 13 years, (DON'T GO there, that state stinks)
Leaving LI for NJ was a huge mistake but I found my new home here in TN.
I'm visiting Huntsville Alabama in Nov, its not far on I-65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island