Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:23 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,192,176 times

Advertisements

That's why (for me anyway) the marine climate of the west coast is perfect. No hot summers, rain instead of snow in winter & skies that are filled with stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 06:03 PM

823 posts, read 3,678,752 times
All of your posts magnify why we want to move out west. They have 4 seasons and they have snow but except for the rare heavy downfall the snow is gone in a few hours. Even when the days are hot they are bearable because of the low humidity and the nights are cool and comfortable. When I leave NY I want my snow blower to stay here.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,673,625 times
Default CT vs LI

But how much of a difference is it in the safe, good areas of CT when it comes to cost of living? LI vs CT ? Home prices? Property taxes? wages? Crime? Employment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Couldnt agree more....off to Tolland county CT.
Heart of NE.
1 Hour to Bpt. Ferry
C

Last edited by Positiveone; 08-25-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 06:13 PM

7,870 posts, read 9,064,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My husband, son and I have been trying to move for a few years. My husband tried all the traditional applying for jobs but nothing has been forthcoming. Finally we went on a vacation to Vermont/NH last month (more of a scouting out) and decided we wanted to move there. We know the area is not 'dead' and it has jobs, even if we don't have any yet.

Now we are getting flack from people. They keep saying 'why would you move THERE?' I suppose unless you only run to somewhere warm and cheap like NC, AZ or Florida you are bound to get funny looks/comments.

I wish people I knew on Long Island were more open minded. There is like BEYOND Florida and North Carolina and yes, some people DO like cold weather over hot.
Maybe they are questioning your move because the tax situation in Vermont (primarily property tax base causing it to be among the highest taxed states in the country) is exactly what you're trying to get away from on LI?

Old 08-25-2007, 06:32 PM

411 posts, read 1,596,651 times
Everyone has their own idea of what's great. Only you can know that NH or VT is good for you. They both have positives and negatives, as do most places. VT may have high property tax but what about income tax? NY will one day start to tax bodily functions, I swear.

Winter is... winter. If a state has lovely, warm winters it's bound to have hot, awful summers. As Long Islanders you'll be used to long, snowy winters. Sit by the fireplace, get some good books and find out where the movie theaters are. Join a gym and maybe buy some snow shoes. One need not be house bound.

The only slightly scary thing is that you're talking about moving first and seeking employment second. You could get caught, so be careful. Follow your dream!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 PM

491 posts, read 822,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
New England is a far better choice for Long Islanders than the south - thats just my opinion. Vermont is beautiful as is New Hampshire.
I grew summers up in West Acton Ma and Bellows Falls. You freeze to death Mid August till late June and everthing you do takes a 30 minute car ride and gallons of gas with those hills
In 2007 you may as will live in Canada with all them Ted Kennedy type liberals calling the shots. The shove their agenda's at gunpoint

Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,488,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
It is easier to warm up than it is to cool down. Plus, it is fun to sit next to a fireplace on a cold day - I've yet to hear someone describe sitting next to an airconditioner as fun.
Such a vision, I'm still laughing!

One of the things I miss about the North Carolina mountains is getting snowed-in. Making snow cream, popping popcorn, putting wood on the fire, hot chocolate milk, not having to clean, because no one can get to your home, the whole family being together telling stories. I don't miss 10 degree weather though.

My senior year of high school we were out of school for one month. The snow would clear out and then Friday it would snow again. Our English teacher had given us one month to finish a term paper the day before the snow began. The next day I went to school the paper was due.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:06 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,479,084 times
North Carolina Native:

Is it true that states like North Carolina become paralyzed when there is even a little bit of snow? That is what other New Yorkers have posted on these forum boards, any validity to it.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 AM

823 posts, read 3,678,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Winter is... winter. If a state has lovely, warm winters it's bound to have hot, awful summers.
Have you ever heard of Southern California and the high desert areas out west? Mild winters, lovely summer days with cool nights.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 43,777 times
I'm considering a move to Portland, Maine...the best I've found of big-city-attributes-in-a-small-town-atmosphere. I'd be there sooner rather than later...

...of course, if the job market didn't suck acorns up there.

That's always another consideration.

-E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island