U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Maybe you get plumber's/discount prices, but for ordinary consumers, their stock is fairly pricey. Plus, if you don't have an appointment, they've been known to "give attitude"...
Ugh, you're not kidding. We went there when we were renovating our house - the woman was showing us all these high end fixtures - never even asked our budget. Finally my DH said "are you seriously tell me you don't have any faucets less than $1,000?" Definitely an undercurrent of "if you have to ask you can't afford".

As far as that Lowes where the old TH used to be - what a nightmare to get in and out of there - did they ever put a light in there? Drove by it last summer on my way to my friend's house and couldn't believe the pile of rubble there, it was huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM

9,038 posts, read 18,351,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As far as that Lowes where the old TH used to be - what a nightmare to get in and out of there - did they ever put a light in there? Drove by it last summer on my way to my friend's house and couldn't believe the pile of rubble there, it was huge.
Yes, they did put a (working) light there.
Now that everything's leveled, I wonder who/what could be going in there...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
I was by there recently and it looked like they had already started building the Lowes.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,839,293 times
A good site for an amusement park,7- Eleven,MacDonalds etc etc

Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
110 is often a disaster. Looking at 20-30 minutes to the Farmingdale location. Maybe more.

how many of those are open late like Lowes/HD?

If it's 20-30 with traffic to Farmingdale or 20-30 to Bay Shore or Stony Brook without traffic, F'dale is still fairly close.

Toss in the fact that if someone is going there late (as you mentioned) the traffic on 110 is significantly lighter, making the trip to F'dale shorter.

Not asking you specifically but -- how many more big box stores do LIers want? 110 is a congested nightmare and has a lot of big box stores and businesses. Building another big box store on Jericho isn't going to help the traffic there, is it?

What did people do 30 years ago when they needed a box of nails and it was after the local hardware store closed?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 AM

1,896 posts, read 5,988,065 times
What?

Who paid for the demolition? What could possibly go there now? I don't understand, I thought they purchased the land, etc.

I am so so disappointed. Can anyone please explain what is going on?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If it's 20-30 with traffic to Farmingdale or 20-30 to Bay Shore or Stony Brook without traffic, F'dale is still fairly close. Toss in the fact that if someone is going there late (as you mentioned) the traffic on 110 is significantly lighter, making the trip to F'dale shorter
compared to Stony Brook? sure...lol. But that's still too long a drive for most reasonable people.

Quote:
Not asking you specifically but -- how many more big box stores do LIers want? 110 is a congested nightmare and has a lot of big box stores and businesses. Building another big box store on Jericho isn't going to help the traffic there, is it?

What did people do 30 years ago when they needed a box of nails and it was after the local hardware store closed?
the same thing people did 30 years ago if they needed medicine in the middle of the night or milk after all the stores were closed.....or needed to make a phone call from a broken down vehicle in the middle of nowhere. They cursed their luck! Sometimes a little more convenience is a good thing.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Maybe you get plumber's/discount prices, but for ordinary consumers, their stock is fairly pricey. Plus, if you don't have an appointment, they've been known to "give attitude"...
That can be true.

Out of curiosity I did a plumbing supply search using 11743 as my starting point.

There is a Huntington Plumbing Supply in Huntington, which appears to carry plumbing fixtures. It doesn't have the 'tude, doesn't require appointments, but isn't all laid out like a box store. This is old school, go in to the counter and tell the man what you need.

One problem worth noting has been caused by consumers and their draw to the big box store. Years ago we dealt with a number of small supply houses -- and their numbers have dwindled in direct correlation with the emergence of HD on LI. Small lumberyards and hardware stores have also suffered greatly.

With HD and Lowes, they've saturated the local market making it very difficult for the little guys to compete while making the weekend warriors more dependent on them.

Getting back OT -- Lowe's has seen the writing on the wall and is pulling back on it's brick and mortar expansion while facilitating a greater internet merchandising stance. The good people of Huntington, Northport and Commack will have to continue to schlep to the Lowe's someone listed earlier or the Home Depots located in Huntington, Commack (2), or Deer Park.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
There's a Home Depot in Huntington, right in the Big H Shopping Center. If you live in the "village area" of HUntington, there's no need to go to F'dale, or even Jericho Tpke.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM

461 posts, read 1,383,979 times
Agreed there are Home Depots everywhere, even close to Northport, Huntington, etc. Lowes would just offer more selection. I support my local Ace in Northport, though for lumber and other items, go to HD. Be nice if there was Lowes local as well for the selection. Thats one of the perks of living on LI IMO, the vast selection.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island