U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
compared to Stony Brook? sure...lol. But that's still too long a drive for most reasonable people.

the same thing people did 30 years ago if they needed medicine in the middle of the night or milk after all the stores were closed.....or needed to make a phone call from a broken down vehicle in the middle of nowhere. They cursed their luck! Sometimes a little more convenience is a good thing.
Is ten miles really that far to travel from Huntington to Farmingdale? Given that there is a HD within Huntington, they already have an option -- it is not as though these consumers are without any big box home improvement store.

Mind you many of these same people don't think twice about driving to Roosevelt Field mall or Fairway in Plainview when there are supermarkets and malls closer by.

Where is the line between over-saturation and a little more convenience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,068,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That can be true.

Out of curiosity I did a plumbing supply search using 11743 as my starting point.

There is a Huntington Plumbing Supply in Huntington, which appears to carry plumbing fixtures. It doesn't have the 'tude, doesn't require appointments, but isn't all laid out like a box store. This is old school, go in to the counter and tell the man what you need.

One problem worth noting has been caused by consumers and their draw to the big box store. Years ago we dealt with a number of small supply houses -- and their numbers have dwindled in direct correlation with the emergence of HD on LI. Small lumberyards and hardware stores have also suffered greatly.

With HD and Lowes, they've saturated the local market making it very difficult for the little guys to compete while making the weekend warriors more dependent on them.

Getting back OT -- Lowe's has seen the writing on the wall and is pulling back on it's brick and mortar expansion while facilitating a greater internet merchandising stance. The good people of Huntington, Northport and Commack will have to continue to schlep to the Lowe's someone listed earlier or the Home Depots located in Huntington, Commack (2), or Deer Park.
Buyers are drawn to the big box store for price, selection hours, etc… The little guys can’t compete with the box stores in these areas. For example, they buy lumber by the truck load while HD and Lowes buy it by the train load. Same goes for hours – if they are only open from M-F 7 AM to 5 PM, most working people will have trouble getting there. A larger selection also equals one stop shopping for building materials, plumbing, electric, etc… It’s a nice sentiment to want to help the local guy stay in business, but unfortunately for them, consumers and contractors have voted with their feet and dollars.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Buyers are drawn to the big box store for price, selection hours, etc… The little guys can’t compete with the box stores in these areas. For example, they buy lumber by the truck load while HD and Lowes buy it by the train load. Same goes for hours – if they are only open from M-F 7 AM to 5 PM, most working people will have trouble getting there. A larger selection also equals one stop shopping for building materials, plumbing, electric, etc… It’s a nice sentiment to want to help the local guy stay in business, but unfortunately for them, consumers and contractors have voted with their feet and dollars.
Actually consumers, but not most contractors, have created the situation. As a contractor, there are many things we need on a job site and 9 out of 10 times, our local suppliers can have it to us much faster than the big box stores. They are catering to Joe "I can build it cheaper" who wields a calculator by day, Sears hammer by night.

One thing I will say I like about either store is the selection of appliances and in general, the availability.

I find either store stocks much the same in the way of selection with regards to fixtures and trims. This is where many of my clients prefer going to an electric supply house, a plumbing supply house, a tile/stone shop, etc. I cited Blackman earlier -- one doesn't necessarily have to buy there, but they can get a better idea as to what else is out there aside from the narrow range of HD/Lowes items. These clients also tend to utilize the internet to price out items and purchase elsewhere.

Which brings this back to the topic -- Lowes slowing down their brick and mortar expansion in favor of a greater internet presence.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,912,440 times
I have had nothing but problems with lowes. It dosnt suprise me they are closing stores. They are very mismanaged.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Who needs Lowe's?

You can get lots of stuff for FREE like these guys did:

Search Result item

Quote:
Four Wyandanch men were arrested Thursday morning after a Town of Babylon employee saw them stealing pool chairs and bathroom fixtures from a town pool in Deer Park , Suffolk County police said.
Why pay $1,000 for a bathroom fixture when you can just take one for free?

Get all your outdoor chairs free!

Need wire? Once again, get it free!

Of course Lowe's doesn't need anymore stores in Suffolk County when the people already know how to get stuff free.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Huntington Station might have lost it's crack at a Lowe's, but a new Commack location isn't dead in the water yet. All the lucky ducklings in Riverhead and points east will no longer have to lug to Medford for a Lowe's.
http://www.news12.com/articleDetail....news_type=news
Quote:
A Lowe's spokesperson says plans to build a store in Riverhead are still on track, but the fate of a Commack project is uncertain.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,265,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I was by there recently and it looked like they had already started building the Lowes.
went by today - just some large landscaping type bricks near the street (looks like maybe a retaining wall) and a crane sitting on top of a large pile of dirt.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM

570 posts, read 980,904 times
Both my plumber and my electrician have told us not to buy faucets, outlets etc at Home Depot. It may be "brand name" but it's the cheaper/lesser quality item with the same brand name. We had a light switch not work and a bathroom faucet leak from them, brand new.

I do buy other things at Home Depot, but also use the local hardware store on West Hills Rd - they're very nice and helpful in there.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,360,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Both my plumber and my electrician have told us not to buy faucets, outlets etc at Home Depot. It may be "brand name" but it's the cheaper/lesser quality item with the same brand name. We had a light switch not work and a bathroom faucet leak from them, brand new.

I do buy other things at Home Depot, but also use the local hardware store on West Hills Rd - they're very nice and helpful in there.
I was told that Home Depot has some of the brand name manufacturers make items to their specifications but with the brand name on it, in order to keep the prices low(er). I'll go there for little odds and ends, but nothing that would really matter. The few times I've been in a Lowe's, I felt that service was better; maybe it was just the luck of the draw?

And I agree, Ace Hardware on West Hills Rd is a great place with helpful and knowledgeable people; even the prices aren't bad! Hours aren't as convenient though

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM

721 posts, read 1,253,394 times
I avoid Farmingdale if I can. I have friends in the area and it is amazing how close we live mileage wise, but it can take 45 minutes to get there because of construction/ traffic/etc. recently tried to meet a friend for a movie in Farmingdale near airport, left myself nearly 45 minutes to get there and barely made it.
Anyway, I also go to Ace or Greenlawn Hardware. I shopped at Blackman. They screwed up my order, and definitely gave attitude .Honestly, I am not that crazy about the showerhead I bought from them. I also bought lighting from one of the supply stores on Jericho in Commack. They were extremely helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island