U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:58 AM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times

Advertisements

I also think Ace is great. We have one in East Islip that I go to at least once a week. My husband sends me there to get nuts, bolts, screws, and everytime I have gone there they have been helpful and got me exactly what I needed. For wood and bigger items I may go to lowes but for the little stuff ace is the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

15,736 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I was told that Home Depot has some of the brand name manufacturers make items to their specifications but with the brand name on it, in order to keep the prices low(er).
Yeah that is true we were told the same thing (same for their appliances too supposedly). However I have to say that I once bought faucets from HD and never had any trouble with them over 12 years. The ones I got from Blackman were much more problematic. Go figure.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
We use the Ace in East Setauket all the time. The staff are helpful and friendly; it reminds me not only of a hardware store, but of an old school 5&10 with the notions and such.

The Ace on MCR in Centereach is cavernous -- they have an incredible amount of merchandise in that store.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,009,870 times
There is a very nice ACE in Bayshore. The people there are very helpful.

There are nice ones out here in California, too. Always the greatest service.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM

True Value Hardware is good too reminds me of the old mom and pop hardware stores from years ago. There is one in Islip and Bayshore both on Main St. They have a little bit of everything.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,360,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
True Value Hardware is good too reminds me of the old mom and pop hardware stores from years ago. There is one in Islip and Bayshore both on Main St. They have a little bit of everything.
I like them too. There's one in Huntington in the Southdown Shopping strip.
Family run business and they pack tons of stuff in a little store
Inventory is different from the ACE on West Hills Rd for the most part. Less hardware and more household type stuff and even balloons ;-) I'd compare it to a "General Store".

Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I like them too. There's one in Huntington in the Southdown Shopping strip.
Family run business and they pack tons of stuff in a little store
Inventory is different from the ACE on West Hills Rd for the most part. Less hardware and more household type stuff and even balloons ;-) I'd compare it to a "General Store".
Yeah I would say True Value is more like a general store. There is a place in Lynbrook on atlantic ave called Millers hardware same idea. They even sell small appliances and cookie cutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island