U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,031,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
We begin to tear at each others pantlegs, quoting case after case about crap which never really did matter in the first place. India has a caste system,
you may be screwed on the day that you were born, but we Americans, need to learn that unless we can reach mutual accord on those issues of determining
whether our police are serving our best interests (or theirs), need to arrive at a common understanding. Yeah, Cops are a priveledged class, when you are the
enforcer of the rules, couldn't you just as easiy be the bender of those same rules? I believe that it was Rodney King who gave us a greater understanding of
our police. Hey, "Can't we all just get along"?
I belive it was Rodney King who gave us a greater understanding of what can happen if a fleeing felon drives drunk and high, leads the police on a high speed chase on highways and residential neighborhoods and then resists arrest to the point where even a taser has no effect.

This sums it up pretty well:

Chris Rock: How Not to Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police | Free Video Clips | SPIKE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 AM

9,905 posts, read 12,980,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
you seem to be stuck on this...what are the number of HOURS worked? if I work the equivalent of 40 hours a week, does it really matter whether it is over 3,4,*OR* 5 days? This sounds almost like an ad hominem response...

Maybe if you have no idea what ad hominem actually means.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 AM

112 posts, read 171,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I'm sorry. You must be another of those posters with intimate knowledge of what cops do, how they do it , and more importantly, what they think -- because your brother-in-law's friend's sister's husband once knew a cop in Texas. Yeah.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/ny...%2Findex.jsonp

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just curious why he would lose his conviction since normally that is no the case, even the Roslyn Superintenedent, so does that mean the cop who drew his gun on the bartender may also lose his pension. I can only assume that is part of the contract particular to NCPD.

Since the NCPD qualification is primarily test scores why so many NYPD?
He resigned and was not fired. After 5 years, he is vested. Yes, he will get his pension, although of course it's not going to be Lotto sized since he left after only 6 years of tenure. Maybe he can get another NYS job and get another chance to dip his beak. The politicians make sure that the law in NYS is that if a retiree commits a crime, even against his own employer (like the Roslyn Superintendant), the retiree still gets the pension. I suppose it is in the politicians' best personal interests to keep it that way. Mannerz will get his pension. The cop who drew his gun on the bartender will get his too. Tassone (Roslyn superintendant) got his $170K pension while he was sitting in jail for stealing seven figures from the Roslyn School District, for crying out loud. Unless NYS changes the law, they will all get their pensions.

LOL. I'm surprised that comment you are addressing even got posted. Nobody's going to answer you that one. They will just swear on their mother that "the hiring strictly goes by the number the candidate gets on the testing!" "No nepotism and no favoritism is even possible!" is what they will say (when they're not claiming over 1/2 hired were former NYPD). Nothing but doubletalk in support of a system that is completely unfair to the taxpayers who actually fund it and paying Lotto style winnings to the very few.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-04-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM

29,567 posts, read 12,362,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
Most of NCPD is very professional, the problem with oversight is exactly the problem. I give the PD management Kudos on this one but they are slow or hesitant to take real action where some of the PD have a history, the captains, etc are being well paid to do a better job.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM

939 posts, read 1,567,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
So? Not one mention of Nassau County in your apparently pointless reference link.

As I said, problems occur more frequently and to a greater extent in the NYPD, due largely to the quality of candidates that are hired. One of the many reasons so many NYPD cops want to come to Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island