U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,300,188 times
Reputation: 1562

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
There are no truly bad areas on Long Island.

Most areas that some people here consider bad are just slightly worn suburban neighborhoods with less-frequently updated houses and some crime in the summer months (that usually only affects ppl involved in the street life). Even in those areas, you can still have a good quality of life as long as you use your brain and don't hang out with the wrong people and in the wrong spots (and are willing to send your kids to private school if the school district is bad).

If people on LI wanna see an actual bad area, they can go to Camden, inner-Newark, South Bronx or Brownsville. These little so-called "bad areas" on LI make those places look like Beverly Hills.
Actually, I remember somebody posting the crime stats for Hempstead and it was comparable to an area like Crown Heights, Brooklyn (which does have a fairly high crime rate). Within the village, there are both good and bad areas, so it's possible that the bad pockets of the area are as bad as parts of the South Bronx (though probably the parts starting to make a comeback).

I think this is the most extreme example: Hempstead is one of the most urban parts of LI, so it has the problems that plague a lot of inner-city areas. I'd think an area like Wyandanch would have a lower crime rate, which means that realistically they wouldn't be that much higher than an average NYC neighborhood.

But your advice definitely holds true for most high-crime areas: If you keep your nose clean you won't get into trouble. Most crime happens between people who know each other. People don't go around doing drive-by shootings for the hell of it: They generally have a specific target. Unfortunately, a bystander might get caught up in it but a lot of the times the bullets hit their intended target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The high-end areas tend to actually be more diverse than most of the middle class areas on LI.

Manhasset for example is almost 40% minority now. Old Westbury and Dix Hills have a noticeable minority presence as well. Most other very affluent areas except for the WASPY 'Long Island Sound' towns have a notable level of diversity.
Well, the LI Sound towns make up a large percentage of the affluent areas, so you shouldn't really discount them. So in that case, the percentage of diverse areas in affluent and non-affluent areas is probably pretty similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I've always considered a place diverse if there was a diversity of religious, ethnic and political/economic view points, regardless of skin color.
Generally, ethnicity (which technically only means Hispanic or non-Hispanic) relates to skin color, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit495 View Post
other than a few high end areas, most of long island is now disgusting. Thanks to all that diversity
Disgusting by your standards, but as LIPerson said, most areas of LI are nicer than a lot of middle class areas in NYC.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,695,836 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Generally, ethnicity (which technically only means Hispanic or non-Hispanic) relates to skin color, doesn't it?
No.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
 
8 posts, read 10,716 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Well we Could Lie and say Harlem is a Upscale Part of NYC but that whould be a lie to
and its Not being Racist its a Fact has anyone ever Heard of a All White Gang? i Didin"t think so!
There are plenty of "All White Gangs" to name a few...KKK, White Supremecy, etc. Please don't be ignorant in your posts. Gangs are created from all races, religious groups, ethnicity, etc. So open your eyes and wake up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,670,967 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Uhm I have and nothing bad happened. Used to go to this bar called Bogarts with a bunch of Hofstra law students. Sure, the crowd late night on Hofstras campus can get rowdy but just exercise common sense! Stereotype much?
I've been to Bogarts many times, that's not exactly Hempstead; that's the outskirts of Hempstead/Uniondale.
Go through Terrace Ave, Henry St and bisecting blocks in the downtown area. The only somewhat decent spots in all of Hempstead are near South Hempstead around and past the parkway and Cathedral Gardens section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
There are no truly bad areas on Long Island.

Most areas that some people here consider bad are just slightly worn suburban neighborhoods with less-frequently updated houses and some crime in the summer months (that usually only affects ppl involved in the street life). Even in those areas, you can still have a good quality of life as long as you use your brain and don't hang out with the wrong people and in the wrong spots (and are willing to send your kids to private school if the school district is bad).

If people on LI wanna see an actual bad area, they can go to Camden, inner-Newark, South Bronx or Brownsville. These little so-called "bad areas" on LI make those places look like Beverly Hills.
The bad areas on LI are a little more than "slightly worn". That analogy to Camden, Brownsville etc, makes a valid point. But I think you're stretching it a bit. Hempstead, New Cassel, Huntington Station, Roosevelt etc, are really bad areas for Long Island. You can't always use the argument that: "there's worse places out there, so it must be fine". If that's the case, then you can use the same analogy to justify Brownsville being just "slightly worn" because at least it's not as bad as Detroit or Bogota, Columbia.. The fact is, the worst of the worst areas mentioned on LI are exponentially worse crime-wise than the rest of the island. 40x or 50x or whatever ridiculous multiple more likely to be a victim of any crime. That's how drastic a difference it is, so I guess it's all relative is what I'm saying. Our hoods don't have to be as bad as Camden or Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.. to be considered unsafe for LI standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, I remember somebody posting the crime stats for Hempstead and it was comparable to an area like Crown Heights, Brooklyn (which does have a fairly high crime rate). Within the village, there are both good and bad areas, so it's possible that the bad pockets of the area are as bad as parts of the South Bronx (though probably the parts starting to make a comeback).
I posted that here> Is Hempstead really that bad? . Still waiting for UsAll to reply if they're around.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,300,188 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

The bad areas on LI are a little more than "slightly worn". That analogy to Camden, Brownsville etc, makes a valid point. But I think you're stretching it a bit. Hempstead, New Cassel, Huntington Station, Roosevelt etc, are really bad areas for Long Island. You can't always use the argument that: "there's worse places out there, so it must be fine". If that's the case, then you can use the same analogy to justify Brownsville being just "slightly worn" because at least it's not as bad as Detroit or Bogota, Columbia.. The fact is, the worst of the worst areas mentioned on LI are exponentially worse crime-wise than the rest of the island. 40x or 50x or whatever ridiculous multiple more likely to be a victim of any crime. That's how drastic a difference it is, so I guess it's all relative is what I'm saying. Our hoods don't have to be as bad as Camden or Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.. to be considered unsafe for LI standards.
Actually, we don't know if the hoods of Camden (or Detroit or whatever city you want to use) are worse than an area like Brownsville.

We don't know how the crime rate is distributed across the city: If the crime is concentrated in one part, then that one part is obviously much worse than an area like Brownsville. However, if it's spread out across the city, then the "hoods of Camden", might not be much worse than the hoods of another area.

But generally, the worse an area looks the worse it is, and some parts of Hempstead do look pretty bad. I remember a Google Maps image posted of the western end of Bedell Street and most of the houses on the block were abandoned. It may not be quite as bad as some other areas, but that's pretty bad if you ask me.

Hell, I remember SeventhFloor (who lives right next to housing projects in Arverne), saying that he considered Downtown Hempstead "the hood", and that's saying something!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: New York City
222 posts, read 540,342 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Compared to the really shady parts of Brooklyn and the South Bronx, I dont really think there *are* any really bad areas of Long Island. I am close to Hempstead and I dont feel uncomfortable walking around there at night. Sure, there is a high percentage of minorities and low income housing in the "less desirable" parts, but its not like you are going to get kidnapped or killed if your car gets stuck on the road at 1 am on any night..lol..
You're probably right... but Terrace Avenue is not somewhere I'd want to be when my car breaks down. That's probably the worst-looking block I have seen in all of Long Island.

But overall, Long Island bad is not like New Jersey bad. Keep your street smarts intact and you'll be fine. Plus, remember, in LI, it's easy to get a gun permit. I'll shoot anyone who comes into my house uninvited! In the city, I would just have to fork over the $40 in my pocket, my wife's jewelry, my computer, and Playstation 3, while repeatedly bowing my head and pleading, "please don't shoot, please don't shoot..."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,948,007 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
You're probably right... but Terrace Avenue is not somewhere I'd want to be when my car breaks down. That's probably the worst-looking block I have seen in all of Long Island.

But overall, Long Island bad is not like New Jersey bad. Keep your street smarts intact and you'll be fine. Plus, remember, in LI, it's easy to get a gun permit. I'll shoot anyone who comes into my house uninvited! In the city, I would just have to fork over the $40 in my pocket, my wife's jewelry, my computer, and Playstation 3, while repeatedly bowing my head and pleading, "please don't shoot, please don't shoot..."
That's news to me.

I thought the restrictive gun laws in New York are STATE laws.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,948,007 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, I remember somebody posting the crime stats for Hempstead and it was comparable to an area like Crown Heights, Brooklyn (which does have a fairly high crime rate). Within the village, there are both good and bad areas, so it's possible that the bad pockets of the area are as bad as parts of the South Bronx (though probably the parts starting to make a comeback).

I think this is the most extreme example: Hempstead is one of the most urban parts of LI, so it has the problems that plague a lot of inner-city areas. I'd think an area like Wyandanch would have a lower crime rate, which means that realistically they wouldn't be that much higher than an average NYC neighborhood.

But your advice definitely holds true for most high-crime areas: If you keep your nose clean you won't get into trouble. Most crime happens between people who know each other. People don't go around doing drive-by shootings for the hell of it: They generally have a specific target. Unfortunately, a bystander might get caught up in it but a lot of the times the bullets hit their intended target.



Well, the LI Sound towns make up a large percentage of the affluent areas, so you shouldn't really discount them. So in that case, the percentage of diverse areas in affluent and non-affluent areas is probably pretty similar.



Generally, ethnicity (which technically only means Hispanic or non-Hispanic) relates to skin color, doesn't it?



Disgusting by your standards, but as LIPerson said, most areas of LI are nicer than a lot of middle class areas in NYC.
Don't kid yourself.

The problem with crime in Wyandanch is that the criminals (particularly thieves) specifically target anyone who actually goes out and works for a living (mug them at the train station, break into their houses during the day while they are at work).

You can keep your nose clean all you want, but that's the kind of victim they are after: the working stiff.

I know a couple who tried to "homestead" there in a "bargain" HUD home they were attempting to fix up. Everytime they left it, it was broken into. Who knows how many times they had to buy new building supplies, faucets, anything over and over again after stuff being stolen. They finally gave up on Wyandanch. There is no point in living there if you are a working person because too many in the rest of the community are not and prey on the working people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,300,188 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Don't kid yourself.

The problem with crime in Wyandanch is that the criminals (particularly thieves) specifically target anyone who actually goes out and works for a living (mug them at the train station, break into their houses during the day while they are at work).

You can keep your nose clean all you want, but that's the kind of victim they are after: the working stiff.

I know a couple who tried to "homestead" there in a "bargain" HUD home they were attempting to fix up. Everytime they left it, it was broken into. Who knows how many times they had to buy new building supplies, faucets, anything over and over again after stuff being stolen. They finally gave up on Wyandanch. There is no point in living there if you are a working person because too many in the rest of the community are not and prey on the working people.
Wyandanch may be an exception (then again, maybe somebody could post the crime stats to compare Hempstead to Wyandanch so we know for sure. I'd be willing to bet money that the crime rate is at least slightly lower in Wyandanch), but I'm sure areas like PJS, Brentwood, Central Islip, and other areas that people say are bad aren't on the same level as Hempstead.

It's possible that because Wyandanch is more suburban, there might be more property crime (breaking into homes and things like that), but Hempstead is probably worse overall.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 PM
 
12 posts, read 20,229 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Wyandanch may be an exception (then again, maybe somebody could post the crime stats to compare Hempstead to Wyandanch so we know for sure. I'd be willing to bet money that the crime rate is at least slightly lower in Wyandanch), but I'm sure areas like PJS, Brentwood, Central Islip, and other areas that people say are bad aren't on the same level as Hempstead.

It's possible that because Wyandanch is more suburban, there might be more property crime (breaking into homes and things like that), but Hempstead is probably worse overall.
Hempstead is definitely worse than those other areas. Wyandanch may get better because of the new No-Gang zone put in place. Brentwood and Huntington Station are recieving a system that lets the authorities know where a gunshot went off; which in the long run will combat crime. Upper PJ and PJS have only been getting worse and worse since around 2007. A lot of abandoned homes around, gang members and homeless. There was just an arson the other day of an abandoned house in PJS.
Police Investigate Possible Arson in*Port Jefferson Station | Verizon FiOS1 News - Long Island
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top