Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
Do we really need another one of these threads?
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:03 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I agree we really do not need another one of these threads, it's getting a bit redundant and ridiculous. If you don't know by now which areas are not the greatest then you are on on your own. Give it a rest.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
tihnk Westhampton is bad to but you pretty much named most of the ones i know of

This is a joke right? Westhampton is beverly hills compared to more than half of New York state.

It has had a little problem lately with illegals hanging out looking for work, and the county housing sex offenders there as well as up in Riverhead but that does not make the area bad. Westhampton and WHB are generally beautiful areas of Long Island and the unnofficial start of the Hamptons...

I have spent a lot of time there and would consider anyone lucky to live there.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:13 PM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Compared to the really shady parts of Brooklyn and the South Bronx, I dont really think there *are* any really bad areas of Long Island. I am close to Hempstead and I dont feel uncomfortable walking around there at night. Sure, there is a high percentage of minorities and low income housing in the "less desirable" parts, but its not like you are going to get kidnapped or killed if your car gets stuck on the road at 1 am on any night..lol..
Tell that to the many college kids that get beat and robbed around the surrounding area of Hofstra University. Park your car down one of the side streets by the bars over there and you're like a sitting duck waiting to be robbed.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 PM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
What is the point of this thread besides to put down places where the "colored people" live?
No other point but to make themselves feel better by putting other groups down.

I just find it funny how some people are so infatuated with minorities.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
There are very few actual bad areas on Long Island. Even in those "bad areas", there are still many amazing people that live there but are just more likely to have less financial resources available.

But I agree with others, there are some areas on the island that are considered bad by a lot solely due to their racial makeup. Uniondale is not bad at all and most people take very good care of their homes, keep up with their lawns and make reasonable incomes but b/c of it's racial makeup, it is lumped in with Roosevelt, Hempstead, Wyandanch and Brentwood which are far more problematic towns.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
There are very few actual bad areas on Long Island. Even in those "bad areas", there are still many amazing people that live there but are just more likely to have less financial resources available.

But I agree with others, there are some areas on the island that are considered bad by a lot solely due to their racial makeup. Uniondale is not bad at all and most people take very good care of their homes, keep up with their lawns and make reasonable incomes but b/c of it's racial makeup, it is lumped in with Roosevelt, Hempstead, Wyandanch and Brentwood which are far more problematic towns.
I'm happy for them that they mow their lawns and all but I'm still not walking through there at night. Sorry...it's the hood.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I'm happy for them that they mow their lawns and all but I'm still not walking through there at night. Sorry...it's the hood.
It would be dumb for you to walk through any neighborhood at night.

Years back I worked at the night shift at a 7-11 in a so-called "non-hood" area and the freaks really do come out at night!! So I wouldn't get too comfortable.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Are you kidding me? If I had to shell out $9000 a year in taxes or $2000 a month in rent and could not walk freely around the neighborhood I would move in a ny minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
It would be dumb for you to walk through any neighborhood at night.

Years back I worked at the night shift at a 7-11 in a so-called "non-hood" area and the freaks really do come out at night!! So I wouldn't get too comfortable.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 AM

131 posts, read 300,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
What is the point of this thread besides to put down places where the "colored people" live?
Is this Mr. Sharpton? It's not about race - the towns depicted in this thread are where the crime rates are higher/property values are low in comparison to the relative area. The people residing there can purple with day-glo colored private parts. If you see any correlation between race and crime rates/property values then....so be it.

Consider that Shirley is not considered a good area and is predominantly white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island