U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM

361 posts, read 811,419 times

Advertisements

you should talk to a mortgage broker to see what your LOAN TO DEBIT ratio is . bank rules have change and you can't be above the 40% ratio .. I assume you are going with a 30 year loan will help with those numbers ..... I just went through this with a second home ......
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 AM

8,507 posts, read 11,379,976 times
you guys are responding to a 2+ year old thread... others may benefit from this thread but I wouldn't ask specific questions to the OP.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,615,394 times
old thread alert

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM

489 posts, read 385,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You can't "live anywhere you want" on that income. Many places, but not anyplace.

In reading your post, I think that you are correct,you would be happiest and feel better accepted in a middle to blue collar type area. You do come across as "blue collar", in attitude and in your writing style.

I'm thinking that Floral Park or Massapequa might suit you. Decent schools, and the former mostly has sidewalks. North Vally Stream is another option.

Since you are very sports oriented, you might like Holbrook (Suffolk County) The Sachem District is known to be "jocky", but not excellent. You really would not like the excellent school districts.

Out of curiosity, are you allied health care workers?
I know this is an old thread, but what does "blue collar in attitude and writing style" mean in this case? I guess this can open up a whole different kind of discussion, but these kinds of statements seem a little insensitive, judgmental and best not said.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM

855 posts, read 1,460,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
I know this is an old thread, but what does "blue collar in attitude and writing style" mean in this case? I guess this can open up a whole different kind of discussion, but these kinds of statements seem a little insensitive, judgmental and best not said.
This poster is the epitome of class. Her education has brought her much wealth and success in her life. Ok not really, she has a high class education but, only enough money to afford a home of around 150k in Ohio of all places.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM

167 posts, read 226,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Many of your comments are describing what you will find in Valley Stream, which is in southwestern Nassau County. Good school district, nice village area, sidewalks, parks, pool, biking walking trails, has a State park besides the local parks, roller hockey, mini golf, and other recreational activities, diverse population so your kids will be in a real world environment, not too snobby and materialistic, no major drug problems in schools.
No offense but I left VS 12 years ago because the area was changing for the worst. It has become an extension of Rosedale. Start from Lynbrook and work your way in the eastward direction.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
No offense but I left VS 12 years ago because the area was changing for the worst. It has become an extension of Rosedale. Start from Lynbrook and work your way in the eastward direction.
Your perceptions 12 years ago turned out to be incorrect in the long run. It is not an extension of Rosedale. Hint: lately more white people than black are moving in and the black population is declining here. (I am addressing your real concerns of the past you didn't come out and say and instead used the code word "Rosedale" ... dislike or prejudice of living around black people ... and, no, your "worst fears" did not come true; it is not the ghetto; actually all minorities living in VS are solidly middle class and are nothing to fear anyway.)

Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 PM

167 posts, read 226,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Your perceptions 12 years ago turned out to be incorrect in the long run. It is not an extension of Rosedale. Hint: lately more white people than black are moving in and the black population is declining here. (I am addressing your real concerns of the past you didn't come out and say and instead used the code word "Rosedale" ... dislike or prejudice of living around black people ... and, no, your "worst fears" did not come true; it is not the ghetto; actually all minorities living in VS are solidly middle class and are nothing to fear anyway.)
I've been back to visit the old "hood" and my perception was and is 100% correct thank you Obviously you live there and think it's a fine town, I don't, sorry. We can agree to disagree...

Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,302 times
I feel like VS unfairly gets a bad rep b/c of the Green Acres Mall and other shopping facilities that attract people from outside of the community.

Every now and then you hear about petty crimes and such in the town, and usually they're committed by outside residents.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-19-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 05:23 AM

903 posts, read 2,985,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecollarbred View Post
Me and my husband are from the city, we make a combined income of $160k-180k and we're thinking about moving out to Long Island. So I assume we can afford almost any area we want but we don't want our kids raised in school district that's too affluent. Of course we want an EXCELLENT school district but we just don't want it in an area that's too rich. We want them raised in a place with real down-to-earth people, kids of all different types of backgrounds, somewhere where they wouldn't need to feel that they have to have the latest clothes and cars to be accepted. A lot of rich suburban school districts have big drug problems from what I hear.

We just really want to prepare our kids for the real world instead of hiding from it, which I see a lot of people trying to do thinking their kids will somehow benefit. I want to give them a real world experience.

We would prefer Nassau but at this point, i'm willing to explore my options so if there's something like this a little further out then that then please let me know! Me and my husband are very athletic and we want our kids to stay in shape so we would prefer a city that actually has sidewalks, I heard some places actually don't? A place that has a lot of other recreational activities are preferred to.

Thank you for your help

Unfortunately on Long Island your income for a family of 4 cannot afford you any area you want unless you want to live in someones garage....Long Island is a different animal. Also, drugs don't discriminate between town lines-they are everywhere-

That being said-Old Bethpage/Plainview is nice. Ive heard good things about Massapequa on the board. If you are willing to go over the Nassau border into Suffolk you will get more for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or