U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 66,120 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a house in Bethpage, Long Island. THe house was listed as having 2 bathrooms, one on main floor and one in the basement.
I'm not sure if the one in the basement is legal or not yet. Does anyone know if it IS possible to have a legal bathroom in your basement? I know they are very strict when it comes to basements. Also, if the owner did not get a permit what will happen whent he bank appraiser inspecfs the home?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
GPC

1,197 posts, read 2,717,111 times
Bathrooms in basements can be legal but they do require the usual red tape process of a permit, inspection, certificate of occupancy, etc. The bank inspector may or may not catch it. If it is caught, a real hassle will ensue if it doesn't have a permit.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,172,309 times
Sure they can be legal. The home I grew up in was built with one in the basement.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM

15,765 posts, read 24,015,812 times
Trust me (and GPC) on this - regardless of whether the bank appraiser catches it, ask for the CO. If you go to do work on your house in later years and something unpermitted or illegal turns up, they will make YOU fix it. It will be a headache for you. So you should now make it the SELLERS headache. And don't think if you do work later on they won't look - they will. And basement bathrooms are the first thing on the list.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks GPC.
If the bathroom is an issue, typically who would be responsible to take care of it? Will the seller (owner) do the work? I'm assuming it's not the buyers (me) responsibility.
I'm not sure about this as I am a first time home buyer. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Trust me (and GPC) on this - regardless of whether the bank appraiser catches it, ask for the CO. If you go to do work on your house in later years and something unpermitted or illegal turns up, they will make YOU fix it. It will be a headache for you. So you should now make it the SELLERS headache. And don't think if you do work later on they won't look - they will. And basement bathrooms are the first thing on the list.

Thanks. Can I request the CO?
I looked on mynassauproperty and the house is listed as having 1 bathroom. Does that mean there is no permit for the second?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 AM

9,038 posts, read 18,382,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSastoriaNYC View Post
Thanks. Can I request the CO?
I looked on mynassauproperty and the house is listed as having 1 bathroom. Does that mean there is no permit for the second?
Most likely. Also, keep in mind that if there is no permit for it, the owners aren't being taxed for it either. So once a permit is in place (if there is none now), RE taxes will increase.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM
GPC

Quote:
Thanks GPC.
If the bathroom is an issue, typically who would be responsible to take care of it? Will the seller (owner) do the work? I'm assuming it's not the buyers (me) responsibility.
I'm not sure about this as I am a first time home buyer. Thanks!
If the owners want to sell their house to you, they'll take care of it. It's their responsibility, not yours.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Thank you all. I will request that the owners take care of it.

One last question: If the property is listed on mynassauproperty.com as only having 1 bathroom, does that mean they did not get the proper permits?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM
GPC

Quote:
Thank you all. I will request that the owners take care of it.

One last question: If the property is listed on mynassauproperty.com as only having 1 bathroom, does that mean they did not get the proper permits?
Yes, they probably didn't get a permit. Keep in mind that if the bathroom isn't up to code, additional work will be needed to bring it up to code. Again, this is the owners responsibility. Come back and let us know what happens. I'm curious how the owners will respond to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or