Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Call direct tv they beat Cablevision any day and the best part is you get all the channels you don't get with Cablevision. Their claim to fame is News 12.

News 12 sucks, i find when watching certain supposed people on there i have the urge to kill, certain reporters with the constant smiling and stupid stories....
Sickening...

Ok, i have a question since i have never looked into fios, however i had DTV when it 1st came out..

I gave up DTV when cable got into more motorsports channels and then at that time DTV had issues with snow and other heavy weather.

So my questions are this...

Does fios have motorsports ?

Has DTV's reception in bad weather gotten better ?

I hate cable and there insane $275 a month but if DTV has gotten better and or fios has what i need to watch im there, and the remotes from cable suck also they have so many issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 PM

59 posts, read 82,301 times
Check me on this . . .

I've looked at the Wiki and see the present day Cablevision was founded in 1973 but I recall in the late 1960s there was a large tower east of Riverhead on Main Rd with a small building underneath it and I think we knew it as "Cablevision."

I think the idea was the tower was tall enough to pull in the broadcast channels from NYC and then it went to our homes via cable.

I'm I remembering right?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
I've got a question regarding FIOS: With Cablevision you get Channel 61 which gives you the local traffic and weather. Does FIOS have something similar?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,271 times
Get fios!

I got in at $69.99 for 2 years plus $10 for sports package.

Besides news 12 got rid of Lauren Sivan.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
News 12 sucks, i find when watching certain supposed people on there i have the urge to kill, certain reporters with the constant smiling and stupid stories....
Sickening...

Ok, i have a question since i have never looked into fios, however i had DTV when it 1st came out..

I gave up DTV when cable got into more motorsports channels and then at that time DTV had issues with snow and other heavy weather.

So my questions are this...

Does fios have motorsports ?

Has DTV's reception in bad weather gotten better ?

I hate cable and there insane $275 a month but if DTV has gotten better and or fios has what i need to watch im there, and the remotes from cable suck also they have so many issues

DTV is so much better man. They have these new dishes that can resist anything. With all the high winds we have had lately on the island I have not had not one single issue I don't know what channels the Motor Sports come on but if it were not for my phone system needing a reliable connection and Verizon refusing to fix their stuff I would not leave. Check their website they have a few great promotions going.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
are you a 'don't watch tv' guy?
That's what I tell the telemarketers when they try to sign me up. It shuts them up quick.

In reality, we watch a decent amount of TV through Hulu+ and Netflix.

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House, Bones, The Office, Family Guy, Colbert, SNL, Terra Nova, New Girl...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 34,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
My bill is only $29.95/mo, but I only have Internet. No Tax, No fees.
I'm done with cable. Will never be getting it again.
Hi. Which Internet service do you use? If you know, how does it compare to CVs download speeds?

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I don't care what off cablevision gives me I am never switching back. I wouldn't even waste my time. I got cable to lower my bill once for a year. it went from $150.00 a month to $130.00. then when we heard Fios was in our area we switched right away. I remember the day when we had WHT (wometco home theater back in the 70's)

Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Not sure where everyone gets these stellar deals. I matched my offerings head to head against Fios and it came to within $10 bucks of each other, plus some start up/install fees Fios would not waive. With multiple rooms and remotes, Fios charges pile up just like CV. The incentives are short lived and end quickly. I tried to negotiate Fios down and they wouldn't budge. I then did exactly what the OP did and got my bill down $40/mo for 2 years w/ CV. I have had both services and had Dish in Brooklyn. All did the job and none particularly won my affection. For $40/mo less, MSG sports in high def and nothing new for my wife to learn, I stayed with the devil Dolans over the Ma Bell demon child.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
The question is: If FIOS isn't offered in your town, and CV knows this, how can you get your bill lower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island