U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,168,606 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of a gov't effeciency joke:
I was stuck in traffic one day with nothing to do but stare at the city workers at work. When I got a closer look, I couldnt believe my eyes. There were two men with shovels, one would dig a hole, then both men would wait about 5 minutes, and the other guy would fill the hole. I observed this a few times as I crept along, finally I asked the guys what the deal was. The first guys says: "We plant trees for the city, I dig the hole, Bill plants the tree, and Jim fills the hole back up." I replied in amazement that no one was planting a tree. He said: " Oh, I know, Bill is out sick today, but Jim and I still gotta do our jobs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM

1,203 posts, read 2,264,005 times
as a 20 year resident of Huntington township I can tell you that our streets are always plowed within a few hours of a snowstorm, and if I call to report a pothole, the phone is answered by a human being (not a machine) and voila ! the pothole if fixed within days.
It's one of the few line items on my tax bill that I will never complain about. William Naughton has been running the highway dept the entire time and his staff is excellent !

Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM

852 posts, read 1,737,436 times
Default So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
as a 20 year resident of Huntington township I can tell you that our streets are always plowed within a few hours of a snowstorm, and if I call to report a pothole, the phone is answered by a human being (not a machine) and voila ! the pothole if fixed within days.
It's one of the few line items on my tax bill that I will never complain about. William Naughton has been running the highway dept the entire time and his staff is excellent !
I understand what you are saying. This thread isn't about what he does right. After 21 years, I hope he's capable of plowing roads. So, at base, he demonstrates mediocre competence.

Naughton never attends town council meetings. He doesn't respond to inquiries from the town council. He was sued by the town council last year for violating hiring rules. Last year, he didn't attend a public hearing on this gas line at which Nat. Grid outlined plans to open roads from Larkfield and Pulaski to the VA hospital. That is costing the town $90k.

So, as long as you don't mind the guy pissin' away around $100k every now and then, then Naughton's your guy.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,839,293 times
When is he next up for reelection?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 AM

In two years. I doubt he'll run. I suspect he's grooming his son. According to seethroughny.org sonny-boy makes $127k this year as a "labor leader." My taxes.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Thank you.

I want to issue a personal thanks to everyone who will be absorbing the cost of our re-paved road in their National Grid bills.

Because Superintendent of Roads and Highways William Naughton can't bring himself or his staff to look at calendars that reveal the dates for the road opening permits he issued, my road was paved on October 24 and will be ripped up next week.

There's no need for alarm though. We recently got word that National Grid, who is ripping up the road, will be forced to re-pave the road. This means you, taxpayers of Huntington, got to pay for it once AND you get to pay for it again in your energy bills.

Once more...thanks.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 527 times
There should be NO names of elected officials anywhere on town property, if there are, the officials should pay for this advertising themselves. We don't need paying for names out of our pockets. and advertising on road barriers, town truck doors, letterheads, bills.......all paperwork, this is free advertising for all officials, the tab is on us, not them. Was the highway depts' son hired by Naughton, as some claim? The statement about not ever talking to Naughton on the phone is true, you usually get a sect'y or someone like that, always! Granted....they are always helpful, but try to talk to the boss. Is it true that he didn't know about pipe being laid where he paved the road? Should he be the one to pay for this?
The Sandy storm cleanup was a GIANT incomprehensible mess, it wash't handled too badly considering the enormity of it. That gigantic cleanup was taken care of slowly, it was big...many residents complained about it, give me a break! We had no power or heat for 11 days, IT IS WHAT IT IS! All the line workers from EVERYWHERE in the country who came here should be personally thanked by everyone in Huntington township, they should be recognized, many of these people worked from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.

There were out of town supervisors trying to help all the drivers get around, There were PAPER roadmaps given to these people, many had no idea what they were looking at, and they were totally lost. What is the answer? GPS's?, iPads?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 AM

570 posts, read 980,401 times
So in spite of two other men running against him, Naughton managed to win his primary by 200 some votes! The man is over 80 years old and that alone should make him ineligible to run anymore. The guy who came in second has extensive experience with road construction and snow removal etc from his own business - he would have been perfect as highway supt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or