U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM

2,748 posts, read 3,011,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The OP has been posting on this forum for some time and I believe that she is African American so that was not a very nice comment.
The comment was fine, albeit over your head. It's the racism of some on this board that is the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 6,975,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
We still do not know if BklynGirl45 is talking about a co-op/condo in the Village of Westbury or in a part of another community, say, East Garden City, that has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.
Well at least the condos across from the train station have 24 hour security. They just need to knock down those ratty buildings around it...

Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 4,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
It seems to me that by steering people away from certain neighborhoods, one is only creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where a neighborhood that may have started to decline for a variety of reasons continues to slide down because everyone starts directing people away from it. Not that anyone should lie about a neighborhood, but shouldn't we be informing people who want to move somewhere about the positives as well as the negatives or jumping to suggest other places entirely.

Honestly, one of the problems with going on a board like this, is whether the opinions are coming from people who actually live there or only know about its reputation from outside sources. It's useful in a lot of ways, but when I was looking and inquiring about places much of the opinions came from people who actually didn't live in the places I was researching. BklynGirl, you are probably better off going to the condo/co-op buildings that you are considering and seeing if you can talk to some of the residents so you can get a better feel for what the place is truly like.

So true! Some posters "think" they know everything. Sometimes it's very comical to say the least. I could see people giving some advice about their own town but some give on basically every town on the Island.

A person wants to know about a certain area and they automatically get steered to an entirely different area altogether without knowing anything or very limited knowledge of the OP.

Going by this board if you're single there is only 3 places to live on the Island...RVC, Long Beach, Huntington Village. That is so far from the truth

Last edited by BigMike50; 11-08-2011 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM

37 posts, read 45,698 times
John you are not a nice person

Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Me my wife and two children live in New Cassel does that make us bad people because we reside in New Cassel? I would live just about anywhere in New Cassel compare to the best location in Brooklyn "Park Slope". Over the past year there has been shootings and one person stabbed to death in Garden City. I have never read any posting about the crimes that takes place there.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,018,948 times
This thread is from Nov 2011 - what did OP decide to do?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Most of the postings here are from people with no vested interest in our community, they are not business or homeowners and subsequently make no effort with providing any solutions in our community. Westbury has come a long way, especially the hamlet of New Cassel. The problem that exist in New Cassel is pervasive nationwide, lack of high quality jobs, high quality schools. I live by example, and if it means that I have to take up garbage on block that people like John throw on my street while passing by, thats what I do, pick it up not complain about it.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 PM

One of the reason the county is broke is due to the lack of code and quality of life violations not being enforced. I have yet to see or hear of an incident where people are ticketed for tossing wrappers or food container onto the streets here in New Cassel. No new laws need to be implemented to "improve" New Cassel, if the laws were enforced we would not have all these complaints about New Cassel

Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM

222 posts, read 787,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The thing is that it's important to know what the OP considers a "good" and "bad" area.

She obviously wouldn't discount a place with a lot of minorities because she's African-American (check her posting history), and she comes from Clinton Hill (I assume the one in Brooklyn), so her definition of a high-crime area is definitely different from that of a lot of LIers.

But yeah, I'd advise the OP to walk around the area at various times of the day and talk with the residents, as well as the local police department. If she feels comfortable walking to the deli at 11PM then that place may be exactly what she's looking for.

Also keep in mind that there are different neighborhoods within the same village. The section of Westbury north of the Northern State Parkway, as well as the section west of Ellison Avenue are considered to be nice areas (and the northern section has a large Black population, so it might be what she's looking for). A lot of LIers discount the entire village because of a few bad sections.
As a Village resident, I invite the OP to come through and explore. There are more and less desirable sections of both the Village of Westbury and folks in the zip of Westbury. Overall, the largest problem is related to the make-up of the schools zoned for Westbury. It is concentrated with lower-income students from New Cassel---many of whom are ESL students. Many folks zoned for Westbury schools, but like their neighborhood, send there children to private schools (especially) folks in Northern Westbury. Again...this is economics at play...New Cassel has an est. HH income of approx. $67-$69K (not poverty either), versus say a neighborhood like the Hedges/Birchwood Knolls (north of the pkwy) with an est. HH income of $130K...very different...

Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM

796 posts, read 1,289,635 times
"Westbury" (not to be confused with Old Westbury) is a very large area and there are many different neighborhoods within it. There are some low-income minority neighborhoods such as New Cassel and central Westbury which go to Westbury schools, and there is Salisbury which is relatively middle-upper middle class white which go to Clarke High School and East Meadow schools. I also have heard of a middle income African American area somewhere in Westbury, but Im not sure exactly where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island