U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM

102 posts, read 314,435 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of purchasing a co-op/condo there. Please tell me about the neighborhood. I am a single woman (40's), no kids.

Thanks for any info!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Have you looked in Rockville Centre? I think that's a much better area and it has a lot of buildings to choose from. Long Beach is nice too, but the nightlife crowd is very young over there. As for Westbury, it really depends where because there are a lot of day laborers/illegal aliens living over there and they tend to put a blight on the area due to their misbehavior in public: drinking booze, urinating outside, loitering and sexually harassing passing women, etc.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Default A map of the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone

BklynGirl45, that depends on what YOU mean by Westbury?

Westbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address (4,302 acres)are not in the community (1,511 acres).

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone includes all or part of the Hamlet of Jericho, the Hamlet of Hicksville, the Hamlet of New Cassel, the Hamlet of Salisbury, the Hamlet of East Meadow, the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Village of Westbury.

A map of the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone:

Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,668,359 times
Let's not forget about Old Westbury...

... or are you looking in "Westbury" that most people know of around Westbury Village (Post ave/Source mall area)?

/

Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,012,671 times
There are some blacks and latinos in that town so people around here will tell you it's a hellhole.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM

7,551 posts, read 7,981,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
There are some blacks and latinos in that town so people around here will tell you it's a hellhole.

The OP has been posting on this forum for some time and I believe that she is African American so that was not a very nice comment. I am sorry, BklynGirl, that you are still trying to figure out the best place to call "home." As I recall, your job is in Melville? There are some parts of Westbury that would not be comfortable for someone of any race. It depends where in Westbury your potential condo purchase is located. Also, something to consider that is not all that much of a problem for NYC dwellers - even though you do not have any children, the ease of resale and resale value is heavily dependent on public school reputation. Although you would not be involved with the Westbury schools, its poor reputation could affect your ability to sell it in the future. Just something to consider.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM

517 posts, read 2,241,273 times
It seems to me that by steering people away from certain neighborhoods, one is only creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where a neighborhood that may have started to decline for a variety of reasons continues to slide down because everyone starts directing people away from it. Not that anyone should lie about a neighborhood, but shouldn't we be informing people who want to move somewhere about the positives as well as the negatives or jumping to suggest other places entirely.

Honestly, one of the problems with going on a board like this, is whether the opinions are coming from people who actually live there or only know about its reputation from outside sources. It's useful in a lot of ways, but when I was looking and inquiring about places much of the opinions came from people who actually didn't live in the places I was researching. BklynGirl, you are probably better off going to the condo/co-op buildings that you are considering and seeing if you can talk to some of the residents so you can get a better feel for what the place is truly like.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,296,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
It seems to me that by steering people away from certain neighborhoods, one is only creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where a neighborhood that may have started to decline for a variety of reasons continues to slide down because everyone starts directing people away from it. Not that anyone should lie about a neighborhood, but shouldn't we be informing people who want to move somewhere about the positives as well as the negatives or jumping to suggest other places entirely.

Honestly, one of the problems with going on a board like this, is whether the opinions are coming from people who actually live there or only know about its reputation from outside sources. It's useful in a lot of ways, but when I was looking and inquiring about places much of the opinions came from people who actually didn't live in the places I was researching. BklynGirl, you are probably better off going to the condo/co-op buildings that you are considering and seeing if you can talk to some of the residents so you can get a better feel for what the place is truly like.
The thing is that it's important to know what the OP considers a "good" and "bad" area.

She obviously wouldn't discount a place with a lot of minorities because she's African-American (check her posting history), and she comes from Clinton Hill (I assume the one in Brooklyn), so her definition of a high-crime area is definitely different from that of a lot of LIers.

But yeah, I'd advise the OP to walk around the area at various times of the day and talk with the residents, as well as the local police department. If she feels comfortable walking to the deli at 11PM then that place may be exactly what she's looking for.

Also keep in mind that there are different neighborhoods within the same village. The section of Westbury north of the Northern State Parkway, as well as the section west of Ellison Avenue are considered to be nice areas (and the northern section has a large Black population, so it might be what she's looking for). A lot of LIers discount the entire village because of a few bad sections.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,976,862 times
The parts of Westbury to avoid are right around the train station, down toward Union Ave and anything that borders New Cassel. North and West is better, esp west of Ellison but its pricey there and there's no apartments.
Main problem is the guys that loiter around, I really wish the village would crack down on it. Most of them would go away if the illegal rooming houses were just shut down. But that dont happen because Stasi and many other landscape contractors are friends with Cavallaro, and the village looks the other way on the day laborer issue.
But there's alot of worse places on LI for sure, just a mile or two east in New Cassel, or Brentwood, Hempstead,etc...

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
We still do not know if BklynGirl45 is talking about a co-op/condo in the Village of Westbury or in a part of another community, say, East Garden City, that has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island