U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am very new to this forum and was wondering if anyone would like to share any information (good/bad) regarding the Herricks SD neighborhoods. (New Hyde Park, Manhasset Hills, a portion of Williston, possbly Roslyn Heights and Albertson). I am looking to buy a house within the next few weeks and just wanted to get a "local" take on the neighborhoods.

My friends who live there are hard core LI enthusiasts and, for the most part, most of you seem to be somewhat anti-enthusiasts. I figure the truth would be somewhere in the middle.

The schools are (supposedly) phenomenal and consistenly rated in the top 100 school districts in the US (along with Great Neck). That is what I am buying, the school disctrict. I am well aware of the old argument about it being the child and not the school and I agree but for the fact that colleges look at the school and the child.

All info appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Default A map of the Herricks Union Free School District

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Herricks Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Searingtown, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights, the Hamlet of Albertson, the Village of Williston Park, the Hamlet of Garden City Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park and the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills.

A map of the Herricks Union Free School District:

Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 AM

7,551 posts, read 7,981,754 times
Herricks is an excellent district. Academics are heavily pushed so it's great if you have an over-achiever child. It's not so great if your child is more of an average student because he/she can sometimes feel left out. Herricks MS/HS fares very well in the Siemens, LI Scripts, and NHD competitions.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 AM

7,244 posts, read 9,598,026 times
Here is an excellent source of info for the district. Herricks Union Free School District | Federal Education Budget Project
I am in a neighboring district and I would agree it is an excellent school district. That said, the taxes are very high, as many are, but there is little commerce to offset them in the area, so the increases are borne by the taxpayers. In my opinion, there are several other districts locally who have equal or better opportunity for a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or