U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
 
2,748 posts, read 3,011,485 times
Reputation: 2349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Citibank misses your deposit already
Quote:
Credit unions appear to be benefiting. The Credit Union National Association said Thursday that since Bank of America's debit fee was announced, credit unions had added 650,000 members - vs. 80,000 in an ordinary month - and $4.5 billion in deposits.
They do. Don't worry though, their lobby floor still needs to be mopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 AM
 
1,481 posts, read 2,707,908 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Anybody move their money from a "for profit" Bank to a "not for profit" Credit Union? If you saw a movie called The Inside Job, you would have.
No thats how you protest! Not hanging out in NYC for weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 AM
 
9,902 posts, read 12,973,449 times
Reputation: 5462
I use TD and I haven't had any issues, but I'm thinking of switching to the CU. I just hate paying ATM fees and CU ATM's never seem to be around when you need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM
 
3,686 posts, read 7,323,267 times
Reputation: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
They do. Don't worry though, their lobby floor still needs to be mopped.
and from the WSJ

Executives at large banks have shown few signs of worry that depositors might walk out the door. One reason: People who gravitate to credit unions tend to be unprofitable for giant banks because of the small balances they keep on deposit, low number of products they buy and the relatively high account-maintenance expenses at big financial firms


Little banks for the little folks...they can eat cake while they are in line with their buck and a quarter deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Reputation: 11687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and from the WSJ

Executives at large banks have shown few signs of worry that depositors might walk out the door. One reason: People who gravitate to credit unions tend to be unprofitable for giant banks because of the small balances they keep on deposit, low number of products they buy and the relatively high account-maintenance expenses at big financial firms


Little banks for the little folks...they can eat cake while they are in line with their buck and a quarter deposit.
Right - because we all know how much money you make keeping all your money in a bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,747 posts, read 3,018,948 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and from the WSJ

Executives at large banks have shown few signs of worry that depositors might walk out the door. One reason: People who gravitate to credit unions tend to be unprofitable for giant banks because of the small balances they keep on deposit, low number of products they buy and the relatively high account-maintenance expenses at big financial firms


Little banks for the little folks...they can eat cake while they are in line with their buck and a quarter deposit.
Yeah, its funny how they are trying to downplay the mass exodus. Fact is, my husband also had a Citibank Savings acct with more than $ 50K in it. He went and withdraw all the cash, closed the account and the teller barely blinked an eye.

When I closed my Citibank acct (it was a business acct, the checking acct will be closed out in a month when I re-assign all my direct deposits/auto-debit transactions to the FCU), I had easily more than $2,000 in there..I closed it out, and the teller barely said a word..just "thank you and have a nice day". The only reason I left Citibank is because of the new monthly maintenance fees. It doesnt make sense for me to keep $ 6K in the account as a minimum balance if the interest rate is only .5%. I'd rather invest that cash or put it in a CD.

It wont be until mid December to early 2012 when the big banks will do an inventory and realize that at least 25% of their deposits have decreased because of the switch...Such dumb-a@@es.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and from the WSJ

Executives at large banks have shown few signs of worry that depositors might walk out the door. One reason: People who gravitate to credit unions tend to be unprofitable for giant banks because of the small balances they keep on deposit, low number of products they buy and the relatively high account-maintenance expenses at big financial firms


Little banks for the little folks...they can eat cake while they are in line with their buck and a quarter deposit.
Ha Ha ha. Sure, the stockholders LOVE to hear about customers walking out the door. Give those executives a bonus. They lost customers, but just small ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
 
418 posts, read 913,071 times
Reputation: 207
I had a BoA and CU accounts (kept BoA for the ATM convenience when traveling). Just recently, I had enough and decided to be a "little" person and closed my BoA account. BoA has to be the leader in customer dissatisfaction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM
 
3,686 posts, read 7,323,267 times
Reputation: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Right - because we all know how much money you make keeping all your money in a bank account.
You never impressed me as someone with any financial acumen so I will educate you here...banks have other investment products for their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
 
8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Reputation: 15220
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Yeah, its funny how they are trying to downplay the mass exodus. Fact is, my husband also had a Citibank Savings acct with more than $ 50K in it. He went and withdraw all the cash, closed the account and the teller barely blinked an eye.

When I closed my Citibank acct (it was a business acct, the checking acct will be closed out in a month when I re-assign all my direct deposits/auto-debit transactions to the FCU), I had easily more than $2,000 in there..I closed it out, and the teller barely said a word..just "thank you and have a nice day". The only reason I left Citibank is because of the new monthly maintenance fees. It doesnt make sense for me to keep $ 6K in the account as a minimum balance if the interest rate is only .5%. I'd rather invest that cash or put it in a CD.

It wont be until mid December to early 2012 when the big banks will do an inventory and realize that at least 25% of their deposits have decreased because of the switch...Such dumb-a@@es.
I left a big bank a long time ago. The rep pelted me with all kinds of questions: Why are you leaving, what can we do to keep your business, where are you taking your your business, what can we do to keep your business, why do you feel that is a better place to take your business, what can we do to keep your business, I am sorry you were not satisfied with our service but is there anything we can do to keep your business? Oh, and what can we do to keep your business?

They are going to downplay it now because so many people are doing it and they're going to try to seem cavalier about it for PR's sake. But if your husband had moved his money last year, my own experience says they might have kissed his butt to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top