U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:41 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Even if Suffolk County now owns and operates the store, I'm equally confused as to why a gov't entity was using tax funds to pay for a Christian Santa Claus?
Because Santa Mensch was far more costly?

If a $660 investment in an actor to portray a character, in this case Santa Claus, brings in a greater ROI for the County during the holiday season, is that a bad thing?

If the St James General Store also displays a Menorah (and lights it appropriately) can hiring an actor to be viewed as offensive?

Jesus is the reason for the season. If it were a living nativity, then I would truly appreciate your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
I personally know that Santa and he is a registered Conservative. He is taking a big time ribbing being bought out by a democrat. He is not like many think living on a big SCPD pension,lives in a very modest home and drives a 12 year old car. Good guy.
Neither Santa nor Jesus are conservatives, because they believe in helping others.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:46 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
To better answer your question WG: when the SJGS was acquired for preservation, traditions were considered in the preservation efforts. Hence Santa.

Suffolk County Government - St. James General Store (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/departments/parks/Saint%20James%20General%20Store.aspx - broken link)

Quote:
Currently ongoing interpretive programs at the store include popular period craft demonstrations or events held each weekend with special quarterly festivals or holiday celebrations.
Quote:
There were parties, dances and seasonal celebrations held in a large room upstairs. When the first telephone in the village was installed in the store, the establishment became even more of a community center.
Quote:
Preservation means more than saving the wood and nuts and bolts of a structure, it also means preserving the entire human experience. That effort is obvious at this site. Today as people make their purchases beneath the old portrait of Ebenezer Smith, it's really business as usual at the St. James General Store.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:19 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,482,641 times
Quote:
Even if Suffolk County now owns and operates the store, I'm equally confused as to why a gov't entity was using tax funds to pay for a Christian Santa Claus?
Walter, this is one of the few times that I completely agree with you.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,690,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If the St James General Store also displays a Menorah (and lights it appropriately) ...
I would object on the grounds that a Chanukah Menorah is a Jewish religious symbol and should not be part of a gov't-owned and operated enterprise.

(By the way, in order to light a Chanukah Menorah appropriately, it could not be an electric Menorah, requiring either kosher wax candles or some other sort of kosher consumable fuel and the chanting of two, three on the first night, special prayers immediately prior to the daily lighting.)

Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM

852 posts, read 1,738,388 times
Default Santa's a Christian?

Quote:
Santa never seemed Christian to me. He promotes materialism and uses slave labor.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM

886 posts, read 2,156,308 times
Santa has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and the Easter Bunny has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. Get over it people! Bleeding heart liberals have nothing better to do than to take all the joy out of the holidays for children. It makes me sick when public schools can't put up pictures of Santa or a Candy cane because it might offend someone. Boy I wish I had the time to protest against everything that offends me. Oh yeah that's right I can't because I WORK for a living to pay taxes to governments that actually support these causes.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,482,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Santa has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and the Easter Bunny has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. Get over it people! Bleeding heart liberals have nothing better to do than to take all the joy out of the holidays for children. It makes me sick when public schools can't put up pictures of Santa or a Candy cane because it might offend someone. Boy I wish I had the time to protest against everything that offends me. Oh yeah that's right I can't because I WORK for a living to pay taxes to governments that actually support these causes.
Government has no place pushing any religion.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,690,780 times
Or, owning and operating a general store.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Government has no place pushing any religion.
Santa Claus is a secular figure, not a religious figure liek the menorah that's relevant to jews only. Having a candy cane, santa, or even mentioning the secular holiday of Christmas is not "pushing any religion".

Now, if Christians wanted to be like jews and have nativity scenes all over goverment property the way jews have menorahs all over government property, then I'd agree with you. Nativity scenes 100% apply to Christianity, just as menorah's 100% apply to jews. I know muslims who put up Christmas lights and take pictures with Santa Claus at the mall.

I don't know any non-Christian who puts up a nativity scene for Christmas, nor do I know any non-jew who puts up a menorah for hanuka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or