U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 2,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Santa has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and the Easter Bunny has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. Get over it people! Bleeding heart liberals have nothing better to do than to take all the joy out of the holidays for children. It makes me sick when public schools can't put up pictures of Santa or a Candy cane because it might offend someone. Boy I wish I had the time to protest against everything that offends me. Oh yeah that's right I can't because I WORK for a living to pay taxes to governments that actually support these causes.
Great post It's sad when adults whine about nonsense and the only people who suffer are children. America is too liberal and accomodates too many people for too many nonsensical reasons.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,664,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyoder90 View Post
Now, if Christians wanted to be like jews and have nativity scenes all over goverment property the way jews have menorahs all over government property, then I'd agree with you.
I agree with you.

The display of the Chanukah Menorah on public property is to "balance" the display of Christmas trees. Neither should be on public property.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I agree with you.

The display of the Chanukah Menorah on public property is to "balance" the display of Christmas trees. Neither should be on public property.
Except the tree is not a religious symbol. Find me where the Christmas tree is referenced in any religious text... I'll save you the trouble, you can't.

And how pathetic is it that jews feel the need to complain to get menorahs to "balance out" Christmas trees? Very sad attitude to have.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyoder90 View Post
And how pathetic is it that jews feel the need to complain to get menorahs to "balance out" Christmas trees? Very sad attitude to have.
It's not Jews who want the Chanukah Menorah to "balance out" Christmas trees.

Despite evidence to the contrary, the Supreme court ruled that the Chanukah Menorah is secular.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,885,023 times
I do not believe in god or Jesus Christ, but I do believe in Santa Claus and I have a Christmas tree and I like to sit in my recliner next to it while I squint my eyes looking at the lights, sip on a bourbon and listen to this song as I fall asleep:

Vince Guaraldi Trio - "Christmastime Is Here (Instrumental) ("A Charlie Brown Christmas")" - YouTube

Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 PM

But, further discussion about whether a thing is religious or secular belongs in the Religion & Philosophy forum.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It's not Jews who want the Chanukah Menorah to "balance out" Christmas trees.

Despite evidence to the contrary, the Supreme court ruled that the Chanukah Menorah is secular.
Provide a link that shows non-jews want a menorah put up on government property. Just a few years ago a rabbi got a Seattle airport to take down all holiday decorations because he complained there weren't enough menorahs to his liking - pathetic.

The supreme court has made incorrect decisions in the past and will continue to make them in the future, the menorah ruling is one of them. The menorah is tied 100% to the religious event that is part of the jewish holiday. Christmas trees are a secular tradition that many non-christians partake in. The same can't be said for non-jews with menorahs.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,377,219 times
Last week the House cast a symbolic vote to reaffirm “In God We Trust” as the US motto and encourage its placement in all public buildings and public schools.

Members voted 396-8 in favor of the bill. Those opposed included
New York Congressmen Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan) and Gary Ackerman (D-Queens.)

I was taught to respect my friends religion and not fear it, and to this day, when I have a "jewish" question on protocol for a service or ceremony, I ask and get an answer from my Jewish friend. He does the same of me for Christian questions. Mutual respect, plain and simple.

Voting "no" on a motto such as this, in my mind is just plain stupid on their part, most especially as it was a symbolic vote. It made them look bad.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,886,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Last week the House cast a symbolic vote to reaffirm “In God We Trust” as the US motto and encourage its placement in all public buildings and public schools.

Members voted 396-8 in favor of the bill. Those opposed included
New York Congressmen Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan) and Gary Ackerman (D-Queens.)

I was taught to respect my friends religion and not fear it, and to this day, when I have a "jewish" question on protocol for a service or ceremony, I ask and get an answer from my Jewish friend. He does the same of me for Christian questions. Mutual respect, plain and simple.

Voting "no" on a motto such as this, in my mind is just plain stupid on their part, most especially as it was a symbolic vote. It made them look bad.
Symbolic vote of what? Government should not be involved in religion.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,240,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Never fear -- a candidate for County Exec paid for it out of his own pocket.

He claims it wasn't politically motivated.
OBH-

C'mon hunny, you can't assign motive, beyond the ability to read Steve Bellone's heart.
If not for the fact that in spite of all of the misery that attrition brings to our communities, we may still bring our children to see Santa, that the mere $600.00 expenditure
would have to be made by someone. Of course, Bellone's adversaries would call it "Showboating, or Grandstanding", but for six hundred dollars, unless you'd rather see your
grandchildren "grinched"? Would you rather see those few and small festivities that a kid's visit to Santa, done away with because of political dysfunction and partisanship?
Steve Bellone did the right thing, he ponied up, paid the piper, made things right in a day when any overture on the part of a public, falls into undue scrutiny, the magnifier
held by a political opposition. I'm more inclined to believe that Bellone, for the sake of the meager tab for keeping Santa in the picture, was without any political motivation,
after all, as a political figure, it's hard to be able to even take a crap without someone waiting to crucify you.

As a lifetime politician, every single thing that Steven Bellone does, will be in the public spotlight. There is not one singularly small gesture that he will ever make,
where there'll be those who'll speculate about motive, assign reason or just blame the guy for doing the right thing, for all of the wrong reasons. We were once focused upon
keeping Christ, in Christmas. There's still a few of us, who are hoping to keep Christmas, trust me OBH, Steve Bellone is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island