U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM

7,251 posts, read 9,619,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Symbolicvote of what? Government should not be involved in religion.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

kayfouroh, Those weren't my words, that was from the article in the paper and a CBS news story. If, you google it, you will see many references are made to the vote being symbolic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,488,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
kayfouroh, Those weren't my words, that was from the article in the paper and a CBS news story. If, you google it, you will see many references are made to the vote being symbolic.
Oh ok I have been posting from my phone so I may have missed it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,707,079 times
Santa-Gate: Bellone Naughty or Nice? | LIpolitics.com : Long Island's Political Network

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,202,564 times
Well considering carpenter admits to create a job for her friends if she gets elelcted . Something called a small business leason for the east end.She said it right in a newsday article.

So people should not take this into account considering both sides are playing games.

Also keep in mind steve levy is now a republican also.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,925,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
OBH-

C'mon hunny, you can't assign motive, beyond the ability to read Steve Bellone's heart.
If not for the fact that in spite of all of the misery that attrition brings to our communities, we may still bring our children to see Santa, that the mere $600.00 expenditure
would have to be made by someone. Of course, Bellone's adversaries would call it "Showboating, or Grandstanding", but for six hundred dollars, unless you'd rather see your
grandchildren "grinched"? Would you rather see those few and small festivities that a kid's visit to Santa, done away with because of political dysfunction and partisanship?
Steve Bellone did the right thing, he ponied up, paid the piper, made things right in a day when any overture on the part of a public, falls into undue scrutiny, the magnifier
held by a political opposition. I'm more inclined to believe that Bellone, for the sake of the meager tab for keeping Santa in the picture, was without any political motivation,
after all, as a political figure, it's hard to be able to even take a crap without someone waiting to crucify you.

As a lifetime politician, every single thing that Steven Bellone does, will be in the public spotlight. There is not one singularly small gesture that he will ever make,
where there'll be those who'll speculate about motive, assign reason or just blame the guy for doing the right thing, for all of the wrong reasons. We were once focused upon
keeping Christ, in Christmas. There's still a few of us, who are hoping to keep Christmas, trust me OBH, Steve Bellone is one of them.
Timing and appearances are everything, and as much as candidate Bellone would like to reassure us that his magnanimous gesture is altruistic, it would appear that he saved the day for the publicity. I would like to believe otherwise.

Could he have not waited a few days (at least until 11/9)to see if a private citizen(s) would have come up with the money?

FWIW: I am still on the fence between Bellone and Carpenter.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,960,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Santa has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and the Easter Bunny has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. Get over it people! Bleeding heart liberals have nothing better to do than to take all the joy out of the holidays for children. It makes me sick when public schools can't put up pictures of Santa or a Candy cane because it might offend someone. Boy I wish I had the time to protest against everything that offends me. Oh yeah that's right I can't because I WORK for a living to pay taxes to governments that actually support these causes.
Reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of South Park. The community decides to make the annual holiday show at the school as "non-offensive" as possible and strips out just about everything. What they end up with is a show that is nonsensical and boring. One old man screams, "You b____ds, you ruined Christmas!" and the audience watching the show breaks out into a riot.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,332,031 times
Remember...Keep Christ in Christmas.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,574,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Timing and appearances are everything, and as much as candidate Bellone would like to reassure us that his magnanimous gesture is altruistic, it would appear that he saved the day for the publicity. I would like to believe otherwise.

Could he have not waited a few days (at least until 11/9)to see if a private citizen(s) would have come up with the money?

FWIW: I am still on the fence between Bellone and Carpenter.

I completely agree, especially based on the fact that WALK FM radio was willing to cut a check for the Santa. I would have rather seen a private citizen or corporation foot the bill rather then someone running for office the very next week.

Complete grandstanding and vote-mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or