U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,298,376 times
Reputation: 1562

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
"Crash effects detected were consistent in direction with those found in many previous studies: decreased right-angle crashes and increased rear end ones. The economic analysis examined the extent to which the increase in rear end crashes negates the benefits for decreased right-angle crashes. There was indeed a modest aggregate crash cost benefit of RLC systems."

For example, side-crashes decreased by 24.5%, rear-end crashes increased by 15%; injuries from side-crashes decreased by 15.7%, injuries from rear-end crashes increased by 24%...
Personally, I don't see how there can really be a ton of right-angle crashes. If you think about it, there is like a 2 second delay between the time one light turns red and the other turns green, and the person who's about to have the green light shouldn't just blindly go forward without looking to see if there's a car going through the intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:13 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,558,847 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
Was caught on August 28th and I received the ticket on October 19th.

First one.....50 bucks.

How about you? How many have you gotten?

0? 3? 5+?
That is a bargain. Where I am from in Phoenix they are $180. Here in Nevada they do not have photo radar, but running a red light is a $300 ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Personally, I don't see how there can really be a ton of right-angle crashes. If you think about it, there is like a 2 second delay between the time one light turns red and the other turns green, and the person who's about to have the green light shouldn't just blindly go forward without looking to see if there's a car going through the intersection.
A lot of people see the yellow and go faster. That's probably something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Copiague, NY
1,500 posts, read 2,330,246 times
Reputation: 2392
In order to be fair, they need to put a digital LED countdown on every amber light where there is one of their F#@cin& cameras.
If a normal stopping measurement is 200 feet (hypothetical number) at 55 MPH, it would take appx. 5 to six seconds to effect a normal stop.
Most drivers would understand the time it takes to come to a complete stop and be able to guage whether or not they should accelerate or
hit the brakes. Entering an intersection before the amber light changes to red, is still fined, if you are across the crosswalk line, and true,
the green light indicating go, to the perpendicular traffic, is certainly delayed by at least two seconds, but if the moving traffic coming into
the intersection is still speeding along, it is only if the cross-traffic leaves their red light early that there may be a problem.

As I moved down Sunrise Highway, going at speed limit, (55) thru Lindenhurst, I passed Town Hall, moving westerly in an approach
toward the intersection of rte.27 (Sunrise Highway) and Delaware Ave., I was probably 200 feet from the light when it changed from green to
amber. I made a mental calculation that it would be better (safer), to speed up, rather than brake down. I distinctly remember seeing the amber
traffic light as my vehicle went under the light, and any notice of other traffic moving in a cross direction, was seen in my rear-view mirror as I
continued on.

What a surprise it was to get mail from Colorado, only weeks later!

Attached Thumbnails
I got my first red light camera ticket-red-light-violation-payment.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
 
2,009 posts, read 2,231,532 times
Reputation: 1361
Although this might not be true for you...just a warning in the news today they said there was a red- light scam going around. Via E-mail. They said do not open it or respond!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Copiague, NY
1,500 posts, read 2,330,246 times
Reputation: 2392
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Although this might not be true for you...just a warning in the news today they said there was a red- light scam going around. Via E-mail. They said do not open it or respond!!
One astute scientist put it this way: "For every action, there is a like and similar reaction"

Others have offered: "Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door".

If you re-arrange those simple four letters, from SCAM to Cams, you'll better know why the whole concept is wedded to your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
 
200 posts, read 384,172 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
So far 0 but I think I have one coming, went thru a left turn arrow. It had a shield on it to prevent the straight traffic from seeing it but it also prevented me from seeing it till I was 75' away so I went thru it along with the straight traffic.

Waht county are you in? Just wondering how long before mine comes from Suffolk.
I was caught in Flushing.

Btw the other day I saw a guy turning a right on red when it clearly had a sign that said NO TURN ON RED!

Right as the guy turned the right, the camera flashed....bam, $50 right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 AM
 
346 posts, read 657,258 times
Reputation: 365
Thanks for the reply

I have also seen the right on red thing happen when it was permited but the guy did not come to a stop first, I heard that you mus stop for 3 seconds and it better be behind the stop line or FLASH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM
 
Location: One of the "New" States
1,745 posts, read 1,573,276 times
Reputation: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
Thanks for the reply

I have also seen the right on red thing happen when it was permited but the guy did not come to a stop first, I heard that you mus stop for 3 seconds and it better be behind the stop line or FLASH

Don't worry too much about the Flash. It'll flash even if you stop behind the line. That's just the first of 3 pictures it'll take if you do, in fact, go through prior to stopping for 3 seconds. Once the flash occurs, the video camera starts as well. As long as you remain stopped for 3 seconds, then proceed, even though there was a flash, you will not (or should not) receive a ticket. It will take another picture when you do proceed through the intersection.

So the moral of the story is, if you see the FLASH, don't assume you're already getting a ticket and then just blow through the right turn without doing the 3 second stop. Still remain there and you should be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
 
939 posts, read 1,567,885 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Don't worry too much about the Flash. It'll flash even if you stop behind the line. That's just the first of 3 pictures it'll take if you do, in fact, go through prior to stopping for 3 seconds. Once the flash occurs, the video camera starts as well. As long as you remain stopped for 3 seconds, then proceed, even though there was a flash, you will not (or should not) receive a ticket. It will take another picture when you do proceed through the intersection.

So the moral of the story is, if you see the FLASH, don't assume you're already getting a ticket and then just blow through the right turn without doing the 3 second stop. Still remain there and you should be safe.
Except that nowhere in the Vehicle and Traffic Law does it say you have to stop for three seconds. It only says that you have to come to a complete stop. Period. If drivers are getting tickets for stopping for only two seconds (but coming to a complete stop, nonetheless), then there's a problem with the system and the tickets are being issued illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top