U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,173,474 times

Advertisements

Yes to Kotubuki
Used to go to Nagashima alot, but, two times in a row I went there & their A/C was broken, so they were closed. Decided to stick with Kotubuki & Kokura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 AM

11,328 posts, read 8,147,362 times
I don't like raw fish either. I tried a tuna roll once and ate 2 peices loaded wih wasabi and soy sauce. After the first 2 peices I thought about the fish not being cooked I felt nauseous and gave the rest to my husband who loves it. If I can get passed the fact that it is not cooked I am told I will love it. (yeah ok). So I order other non sushi items like cucumber roll, and any other hibatchi style foods. There used to be a place in Valley Stream called Inatome Japanese Steak House. Great food. Does Benihana serve sushi?? There is another place on Old country road called shiro of japan. I have not been in a long time but I remeber it was good the last time I was there and they also serve sushi.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 AM

405 posts, read 682,944 times
I believe the term sushi actually refers to the rice, not to the item the rice is served with, so "cooked" sushi (California roll, etc..) is still sushi. Sashimi on the other hand is a raw preparation.

As for restaurants, here's 2 not named yet. Minami in Massapequa and Nagahama in Long Beach. I find both of them to be - although haven't been to either in a while.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM

11,328 posts, read 8,147,362 times
Yes you are right sashimi is the raw fish and sushi is the rice. My husband loves sashimi over the sushi rolls. I'll pass on that.
cold rice wrapped in seaweed: small cakes of cold boiled rice, shaped by hand or wrapped in seaweed and topped with pieces of raw or cooked fish, vegetables, or egg

Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,130,171 times
Sashimi is when fish is served alone in slices. I usually order this with a bowl of white rice. This is the best way to eat raw fish IMO.

Nigiri is sushi in a traditional sence where the sliced fish/egg/crab/whatevs (called neta pronounced neh-ta) is served on a piece of rice (called shari procounced shaw-li). This is the traditional sushi style. When you say sushi to someone japanese this is what they think you're talking about. It doesn't have to be raw (see octopus/unagi), and it doesn't have to be fish (see fried egg) for instance.

Maki-Sushi is what most americans refer to as "sushi." The sushi is rolled and served in 6-8 piece sections. Maki means "to roll" in japanese. Same rules apply, it doesn't have to be raw, and it doesn't have to be fish for it to be sushi. Also, it doesn't have to be rolled in rice for it to be a "maki" as you can order makis with Cucumber or daikon wraps in lie of rice. Most makis served in the US are actually inside-out because the rice is on the outside. This is because most americans do not like the texture of the seaweed when left on the outside.

BTW, I've yet to go to a place anywhere in the US where the Nigiri is done properly. Most places handle the shari too long, and the body heat transfers into the rice, which warms the neta.
warm sushi = gross sushi. I'm certain I can find a proper sushi place in the city, but i'm happy with sashimi out on LI. At least they don't fondle that for a minute a piece.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,312,344 times
Sort of related... I don't eat fish, but my coworkers do. We went to this sushi place by work (Yes Jetties, in LB ) and it looked like there was a worm in the fish, it was moving and trying to get out. Waiter was apologetic, but no one else at the table ate any more of the sushi.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Bad fish?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM

4,771 posts, read 4,156,295 times
If you're a waiter/waitress, you want to work in a Japanese restaurant... damn that stuff is pricey, and tiny... nice tips. $85 for 2 people with a small meal. Wife loves it, but also says it's not worth it. Me... I get the chicken teriyaki. I only eat seafood if it's the only thing available.

/asian dude.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,750,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
If you're a waiter/waitress, you want to work in a Japanese restaurant... damn that stuff is pricey, and tiny... nice tips. $85 for 2 people with a small meal. Wife loves it, but also says it's not worth it. Me... I get the chicken teriyaki. I only eat seafood if it's the only thing available.

/asian dude.
$85 for 2 people having sushi? What are you ordering...platters of sushi???

You are overpaying by a lot for good sushi.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,090,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Sort of related... I don't eat fish, but my coworkers do. We went to this sushi place by work (Yes Jetties, in LB ) and it looked like there was a worm in the fish, it was moving and trying to get out. Waiter was apologetic, but no one else at the table ate any more of the sushi.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Bad fish?
I hope it wasn't Nagahama .

Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Status: "Buh bye, LIQUEST. You won't be missed." (set 3 days ago)

860 posts, read 781,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
$85 for 2 people having sushi? What are you ordering...platters of sushi???

You are overpaying by a lot for good sushi.
No he's not.

My wife and I get 2 rolls each, salad or soup, and a couple of Sapporos. Easily $80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island