U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 7,480,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I hope it wasn't Nagahama .

I had tempura chicken so I was fine. I can't even find out exactly what it was. possibly herring worm? but I can't confirm. We haven't been back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,525,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

I had tempura chicken so I was fine. I can't even find out exactly what it was. possibly herring worm? but I can't confirm. We haven't been back.
Was the restaurant Nagahama, near the movie theatre?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Was the restaurant Nagahama, near the movie theatre?
Actually I thought it was, but it really wasn't. There's one on the other side of the street, that same area. Trying to find the name.. over by the Chase that was burned down.

EDIT: Himawari

Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,904,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
No he's not.

My wife and I get 2 rolls each, salad or soup, and a couple of Sapporos. Easily $80.
Well add in a couple Sapporos at about $10 apiece or so then yea. I took it literally as thats the sushi cost my bad lol

Where my wife and I go, special rolls range from $8 - $14 with most of them being around $10 which is what we get. Salad, soup, AND steamed clams get included in all dinner orders for us and we stick with green tea. Including tip we've never paid more than $60 ($35 for 3 rolls, $3 for 2 green teas, $5 dessert, + tax and tip) and thats when we got dessert. We do order one less special roll than you with each of us ordering one and then splitting the other.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,325,034 times
About 30 years ago my brother was stationed in Phoenix. There was a Sushi restaurant across from the ASU campus that was called Arizona Beach. It opened at 5pm and if you managed to get a seat at their large sushi bar, you could get All You Can Eat Sushi, made to your order, for $12!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,433,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Sort of related... I don't eat fish, but my coworkers do. We went to this sushi place by work (Yes Jetties, in LB ) and it looked like there was a worm in the fish, it was moving and trying to get out. Waiter was apologetic, but no one else at the table ate any more of the sushi.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Bad fish?
Was it in Salmon? Since wild Salmon spend part of their time in fresh or brackish water, they can contract tapeworm or roundworm.
A Study in Seattle showed 100% of wild caught salmon carried worms, while all farmed salmon lacked such infections.
Prevalence of larval Anisakis simplex in pen-reared and wild-caught salmon (Salmonidae) from Puget Sound, Washington

If you buy "wild" sockeye at Trader Joe's, you will find evidence of worms in their flesh. However, it is safe to eat because it has been frozen.

All raw salmon consumed commercially in Japan is farmed for this reason.

I do not buy "wild" salmon for this reason. It's piggy-backing on the organic crazy and priced higher, too. Funny.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Was it in Salmon? Since wild Salmon spend part of their time in fresh or brackish water, they can contract tapeworm or roundworm.
A Study in Seattle showed 100% of wild caught salmon carried worms, while all farmed salmon lacked such infections.
Prevalence of larval Anisakis simplex in pen-reared and wild-caught salmon (Salmonidae) from Puget Sound, Washington

If you buy "wild" sockeye at Trader Joe's, you will find evidence of worms in their flesh. However, it is safe to eat because it has been frozen.

All raw salmon consumed commercially in Japan is farmed for this reason.

I do not buy "wild" salmon for this reason. It's piggy-backing on the organic crazy and priced higher, too. Funny.
dunno, it was Summer 2010. I am into stuff like that (food science, food safety, etc.) so it has been bugging me ever since. it seriously looked like a little worm crawling out of the fish.

oh well, didn't mean to gross anyone out

Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
About 30 years ago my brother was stationed in Phoenix. There was a Sushi restaurant across from the ASU campus that was called Arizona Beach. It opened at 5pm and if you managed to get a seat at their large sushi bar, you could get All You Can Eat Sushi, made to your order, for $12!!!!!!
Ah if only we could step into a time machine ...

Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't like raw fish either. I tried a tuna roll once and ate 2 peices loaded wih wasabi and soy sauce. After the first 2 peices I thought about the fish not being cooked I felt nauseous and gave the rest to my husband who loves it. If I can get passed the fact that it is not cooked I am told I will love it. (yeah ok). So I order other non sushi items like cucumber roll, and any other hibatchi style foods. There used to be a place in Valley Stream called Inatome Japanese Steak House. Great food. Does Benihana serve sushi?? There is another place on Old country road called shiro of japan. I have not been in a long time but I remeber it was good the last time I was there and they also serve sushi.
There was an electrical fire there around a year ago and it burnt down. They are rebuilding and will reopen hopefully soon. I love that place! I actually have been eating there since I was a kid!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
If I can get passed the fact that it is not cooked I am told I will love it. (yeah ok)
I'm guessing the answer is no, but have you ever tried raw beef? Beef carpaccio, from a high-end place, is one of the best foods I've ever eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island