U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
dunno, it was Summer 2010. I am into stuff like that (food science, food safety, etc.) so it has been bugging me ever since. it seriously looked like a little worm crawling out of the fish.

oh well, didn't mean to gross anyone out
Ewww!

You did gross me out but you reminded me why I am a sushi/sashimi WUSS. I will only eat the lightweight stuff like California and Boston rolls. I also am a big WUSS when it comes to eating raw clams, etc. Some people just love this stuff and I cannot even swallow it because it's raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Was it in Salmon? Since wild Salmon spend part of their time in fresh or brackish water, they can contract tapeworm or roundworm.
A Study in Seattle showed 100% of wild caught salmon carried worms, while all farmed salmon lacked such infections.
Prevalence of larval Anisakis simplex in pen-reared and wild-caught salmon (Salmonidae) from Puget Sound, Washington

If you buy "wild" sockeye at Trader Joe's, you will find evidence of worms in their flesh. However, it is safe to eat because it has been frozen.

All raw salmon consumed commercially in Japan is farmed for this reason.

I do not buy "wild" salmon for this reason. It's piggy-backing on the organic crazy and priced higher, too. Funny.
This is good to know! Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,477,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Ewww!

You did gross me out but you reminded me why I am a sushi/sashimi WUSS. I will only eat the lightweight stuff like California and Boston rolls. I also am a big WUSS when it comes to eating raw clams, etc. Some people just love this stuff and I cannot even swallow it because it's raw.
Hey, it ended up fine because we all got our beers comped.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Quote:
I'm guessing the answer is no, but have you ever tried raw beef? Beef carpaccio, from a high-end place, is one of the best foods I've ever eaten.
raw beef eeww, I used to eat beef well done but latley I have been eating steak medium. Now my husband would eat the carpaccio and he is a sashimi/sushi lover, in fact my husbands whole family is except his mom and my 1 sister in law.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
raw beef eeww, Iused to eat my meat well done but latley I have been eating steak medium.
if you have the chance to try beef carpaccio from a good restaurant, do it.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM

I have had Seviche though.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I have had Seviche though.
ceviche is different because the acid in the citrus juices chemically "cooks" the fish.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
ceviche is different because the acid in the citrus juices chemically "cooks" the fish.
yeah I know. nothing raw for me thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
yeah I know. nothing raw for me thanks
ceviche is still techincally raw, in the sense there is no heat applied

Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM

418 posts, read 912,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Was it in Salmon? Since wild Salmon spend part of their time in fresh or brackish water, they can contract tapeworm or roundworm.
A Study in Seattle showed 100% of wild caught salmon carried worms, while all farmed salmon lacked such infections.
Prevalence of larval Anisakis simplex in pen-reared and wild-caught salmon (Salmonidae) from Puget Sound, Washington

If you buy "wild" sockeye at Trader Joe's, you will find evidence of worms in their flesh. However, it is safe to eat because it has been frozen.

All raw salmon consumed commercially in Japan is farmed for this reason.

I do not buy "wild" salmon for this reason. It's piggy-backing on the organic crazy and priced higher, too. Funny.
Interesting! I only buy wild salmon, as the "farmed" label just turns me off.
Did not know about the worms, luckily have not encountered them so far.

On the adventurous side, I have had fugu fish a couple of times in Japan and in South Korea. I guess, it's always taking a risk and trusting the chef with that one. Just a slight tingly sensation adds a thrill .

The wildest stuff I have had to eat was in South Korea - some is unmentionable... But, no, no "healthy soup", aka dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island