U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,477,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Interesting! I only buy wild salmon, as the "farmed" label just turns me off.
Did not know about the worms, luckily have not encountered them so far.

On the adventurous side, I have had fugu fish a couple of times in Japan and in South Korea. I guess, it's always taking a risk and trusting the chef with that one. Just a slight tingly sensation adds a thrill .

The wildest stuff I have had to eat was in South Korea - some is unmentionable... But, no, no "healthy soup", aka dog!
How was it? Dangerous stuff from what I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
I remember going to some small cinder block hut restaurant in Hachinohe Japan and grilling some gray swiggly meat on an hibachi.

Best tasting meat I ever had....cat? dog? monkey?..who knows...maybe it was good I was drunk also.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM

418 posts, read 912,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
How was it? Dangerous stuff from what I hear.
In a reputable restaurant, for the mass consumer - relatively safe. Just tingly sensation, imagine that dentist-injected anesthetic (TTX) on your tongue and kind of entering your throat - instead of full numbing, just tingling...
The "experts" tend to push the limits by preserving more and more of the glands containing the poison... until they go too far.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM

418 posts, read 912,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I remember going to some small cinder block hut restaurant in Hachinohe Japan and grilling some gray swiggly meat on an hibachi.

Best tasting meat I ever had....cat? dog? monkey?..who knows...maybe it was good I was drunk also.
I have a rule - past the age of 2 or so, I never put unidentified objects/food in my mouth!
I knew when I tried silk worms, for example, - that one is really a poor-man's source of protein, nothing special .

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
silk worms?? Where did you have that?? Are you related to Andrew Zimmern? LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
raw beef eeww, I used to eat beef well done but latley I have been eating steak medium. Now my husband would eat the carpaccio and he is a sashimi/sushi lover, in fact my husbands whole family is except his mom and my 1 sister in law.
I worry about e coli when it comes to undercooked beef.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
silk worms?? Where did you have that?? Are you related to Andrew Zimmern? LOL
I cannot even watch that man's TV show! Blech!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,432,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Interesting! I only buy wild salmon, as the "farmed" label just turns me off.
Did not know about the worms, luckily have not encountered them so far.

On the adventurous side, I have had fugu fish a couple of times in Japan and in South Korea. I guess, it's always taking a risk and trusting the chef with that one. Just a slight tingly sensation adds a thrill .

The wildest stuff I have had to eat was in South Korea - some is unmentionable... But, no, no "healthy soup", aka dog!
Lucky you! I've never had fugu. I'd love to try it some day.

The farmed label turns a lot of people off. but farmed Salmon is actually sweeter because its fattier. It doesn't travel 100's of miles like the wild variety, so it builds up fat in it's flesh and gets really juicy. It also turns people off because it looks paler.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM

398 posts, read 695,398 times
Moved out to Babylon so I go to Kotobuki and Aji. Kotokuki is better rolls than AJI but it's usually crowded and the place is small and crammed and not too appealing of ambiance. If you're in Nassau and want a impressive place and good food try Nisen in Woodbury, food is just as good if not better and the ambiance is much better.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I cannot even watch that man's TV show! Blech!
Me either I gag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island