U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 56,438 times

Advertisements

Hi, we recently moved to Stony Brook, and I'm looking for places to go walking. I will usually have a stroller with me, so it needs to be stroller accessible. The places I've already been:
- SBU campus
- Lakeland County Park (awesome hidden gem!)
- Holtsville Ecology Site

I'm ideally looking for places within a half hour's drive of Stony Brook, and free parking would be nice! Any ideas would be most appreciated, as I'm trying to get exercise in, but Stony Brook doesn't have many sidewalks, so it's not practical to walk around my neighborhood with the stroller! Thanksssss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM

418 posts, read 912,908 times
My favorite trail, that can qualify for hiking (in a mountain-less place like LI is the Avalon Park & Preserve:
- Avalon Park & Preserve -

This one is NOT stroller friendly. But you can park free next to the Grist Mill or in the nearby village shopping center, and with the baby, you can go around the duck pond and a bit towards the trails. The highest you can reach is probably the memorial and the labyrinth (carrying the stroller).
W/o the baby, the actual trails are a decent exercise with hills up and down.

For walking with a stroller, my first choice would be the newly paved road along West Meadow Beach. After they removed the cottages, that road is very nice for jogging or walking with a stroller. You can park free at the beach parking lot (in the summer, address on your driver's license will be enough to show).

Another stroller-friendly short trail is at the Setauket Mill Pond.
Mill Pond - Setauket New York - photo essay | Gather
You can park free on Main Street across the old Setauket post office. The paved trail is very short but picturesque.

Just a bit further is:
Caleb State Park & Preserve (off 25, Smithtown)
Caleb Smith State Park Preserve - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Free parking. Only portions are walkable with a stroller. Interesting vegetation.

About 35min from SB:
Smith Point County Park & Preserve (Shirley, NY)
Smith Point County Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Off-season parking is free. There are a couple of stroller-friendly areas - around the TWA flight memorial and at the beach front, and separately, a trail through the preserve that parallels the beach.

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 11-06-2011 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: timing to Smith Pt

Old 11-06-2011, 03:56 PM

12 posts, read 56,438 times
Wow!! That was very very helpful! Thank you so much! This'll give me a lot to work with yay

Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,399,793 times
There is one on Pond Path, about 1/2 way between Nicholls and Stony Brook Rd is where the parking lot is.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
There is one on Pond Path, about 1/2 way between Nicholls and Stony Brook Rd is where the parking lot is.
How is that little park? I thought it was for Lake Grove residents, but I could be wrong.

You can pick up a paved path in Setauket on Gnarled Hollow, just below the LIRR crossing and the body shop. Parking is right there. The path is paved and is open to pedestrians and bicycles.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
In addition to the park by the Setauket Mill Pond, there is unpaved paths through the Three Village Arboretum. The Bates Rd is the driveway which is on Main St sort of at the corner of Dyke and Main . There is a small marker.

Three Village Garden Club - Sanctuary & Arboretum

Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,215,552 times
Cedar Beach has a beautiful trail for strollers.

And I second the Bird Sanctuary in Setauket.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,815,258 times
Heritage Park in Mount Sinai. They have a designed walking path but also have a little kids park and a vendor shack as well. It is just east right by where route 83 cuts in.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 AM

461 posts, read 1,383,979 times
I've taken strollers to Avalon. With a stroller, skip the section by the pond, unless you want to take stroller up the stairs (I don't recommend). If you park by the mill, walk up Harbor Rd until you get to Rhododendron Dr, turn left and pick up the trail to the meadow section of Avalon. You can also access the paved walk in Avalon from here, though its pretty short. I'd recommend a 3 wheeled stroller if you have one. You can also park at Shep Jones lot and access the area from there. The paths are dirt/grass just so you are aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island