U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,120 times

Advertisements

I was just told that I am accepted to Long Island University (C.W. Post), and I will be starting in January (knock on wood). With my relationship status + 2 cats I can't really live in a dorm, and am now on the market trying to find a place to rent (preferably an apartment, but a house would work too if worst comes to worst).
The problem is that I don't actually know anything about the area, and can't seem to find anything in Brookville itself for rent (I'm undergrad and all the listings I find for the area is graduate only). I'd prefer something in Brookville itself for the first months (whatever lease is available), but am willing to find something outside the area (ex. NYC as I have an oppurtunity to work for the company there that I currently work for in Alaska).

I'm flying down this week to "look in person", but right now there's not that many apartments (all in NYC area) I have on my list.

Does anyone have any info about the housing market etc. in the Brookville area, or know about how feasable commuting from NYC to Brookville would be?

Greatful for any response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I was just told that I am accepted to Long Island University (C.W. Post), and I will be starting in January (knock on wood). With my relationship status + 2 cats I can't really live in a dorm, and am now on the market trying to find a place to rent (preferably an apartment, but a house would work too if worst comes to worst).
The problem is that I don't actually know anything about the area, and can't seem to find anything in Brookville itself for rent (I'm undergrad and all the listings I find for the area is graduate only). I'd prefer something in Brookville itself for the first months (whatever lease is available), but am willing to find something outside the area (ex. NYC as I have an oppurtunity to work for the company there that I currently work for in Alaska).

I'm flying down this week to "look in person", but right now there's not that many apartments (all in NYC area) I have on my list.

Does anyone have any info about the housing market etc. in the Brookville area, or know about how feasable commuting from NYC to Brookville would be?

Greatful for any response!

Congratulations on your acceptance to C.W. Post!

I don't know what you know about prices (rental or otherwise) on Long Island, but especially for a college student, it could be prohibitive.

Renting with pets makes things rather difficult. Brookville is really not a rental area, plus it's pretty hi-end, and the only pet-friendly rental currently available is a 6 bedroom house for $8,000/month . The least expensive rental in Brookville is $4,000/month for a 5 room cottage... (not pet-friendly)

Checked briefly, and Glen Cove is probably the most affordable in the area; again your two cats are limiting you severely. There's a rental for $1,475 and everything else (including Sea Cliff, Glen Head, etc.) is all in excess of $2,000/month. Maybe if you can get a roommate or two - that would bring the cost down. You mentioned your "relationship status"; that could mean you have a partner...

Commuting to NYC from the Brookville area isn't the most convenient, unless you go to Syosset and the least expensive pet-friendly rental there is $3,000.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:26 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
Brookville is basically an area with estate type of homes and pet friendly there would mean horses. Not sure if Jennifer Lopez is keeping the home that she built there a few years ago now that she is getting divorced. So, no, you will not find an apartment rental there. You are going to need a car as there is not much public transportation near the college. If you are going to go to school at Post and work in NYC at the same time, you could find a rental in Queens. Otherwise, I'd look for a rental in Glen Cove or perhaps Hicksville, but you will need to drive to the campus.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 AM

5,160 posts, read 6,610,508 times
MTA LIRR - Take the Long Island Rail Road to College

Hicksville LIRR station to N20 bus if you don't have a car.

http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n2021/n2021.pdf (broken link)

Via bus to school you could live in Bayside, Little Neck in Queens which are more apartment friendly than Long Island, while providing easier commute into NYC.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Sweden, assuming that you have a car, your best bet might be a rental in Hicksville.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,120 times
Thanks for the quick responses!

I think things are clearing up a little for me, but there are still so many questions that are spinning in my head at this point that I'm not sure where to begin.

My cats are indeed a problem (as they were here in Alaska - not a pet-friendly state at all) but I guess I could find a place for them to stay for a few months if I opt to go for one of the non-pet friendly apartments to begin with while I learn about the area.

I have a car in PA that would be of great help if I find a place in (e.g.) Hicksville. Would I have a chance of finding on-site parking (i.e. a garage) in say Hicksville or Huntington?

From what I've understood there's no LIRR stop in Brookville? Where would I take a bus (or park/drive to/from) to get to one from there? (Hicksville maybe?)

Thank you

Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Quote:
I have a car in PA that would be of great help if I find a place in (e.g.) Hicksville. Would I have a chance of finding on-site parking (i.e. a garage) in say Hicksville or Huntington?
There should be more than adequate street parking in Hicksville, either renting an apartment or renting in a private home

Quote:
From what I've understood there's no LIRR stop in Brookville? Where would I take a bus (or park/drive to/from) to get to one from there? (Hicksville maybe?)
There is a bus (N20) that runs north on NYS Route 107 from Hicksville, and then makes a left (to go west) on North Hempstead Turnpike (Northern Boulevard) and stops right outside C.W. Post.

http://www.mta.info/libus/mapnassaubus.pdf (broken link) is a map of the various bus routes in Nassau County.

Faster to drive a car along the same route.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:14 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There should be more than adequate street parking in Hicksville, either renting an apartment or renting in a private home

When was the last time you were in Hicksville? More than adequate?? That's not what I observed... (at least not in the areas where a lot of the rentals are).

Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
For those recommending Hicksville, you need to specify which areas of Hicksville are good, as there are some areas I don't think we should recommend for a young woman to live in alone. See:

Man what happened to Hicksville?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM

322 posts, read 766,852 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses!

I think things are clearing up a little for me, but there are still so many questions that are spinning in my head at this point that I'm not sure where to begin.

My cats are indeed a problem (as they were here in Alaska - not a pet-friendly state at all) but I guess I could find a place for them to stay for a few months if I opt to go for one of the non-pet friendly apartments to begin with while I learn about the area.

Thank you
The closest train station on the LIRR by CW Post is the Greenvale stop on the Oyster Bay branch, but it's still a 3.5 mile hike to the university.

You may want to consider Mineola, Westbury, or Carle Place. All three cities are about 20 minutes or less (depending on traffic) from the school and have a 45-50 minute train ride to NYC. You would probably have better luck finding pet friendly apartment rentals in those cities as well.

Bear in mind that some apartments allow pets for an additional fee, sometimes per pet. Take that into consideration when pricing a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island