U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Westchester Vs Long Island
Westchester 15 48.39%
Long Island 16 51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 AM

607 posts, read 686,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
I know this has been posted a million times but bear with me.

I recently returned from visiting family in Katonah, in Westchester. It is one of the most quaint and simple areas ever, which I'm partial too; there's money there too however. Everyone drives Beamers and Benz's. I also have family on the Island (south-shore but still nice) , which I enjoy as well.

Taxes are incredibly high in both places but which one is higher? There obviously not both the same. Which one has better schools? I've been told a majority of LI highschools have metal detectors and arent as safe as there Westchester Counterparts.

I like the small town feel that Bedford-Katonah-Mt Kisco area has (especially the walkable, quaint downtowns) more than the suburbia feel of Lindenhurst-Babylon area has.

Few things I've noticed in my travels..
  • The homes in Westchester are more spread out, with bigger yards, and more landscaping.
  • There's less Italian heritage in Westchester
  • More of a neighborly feel in Westchester
  • The water in Westchester isnt as clean LI
  • Traffic is much less extreme in Westchester
  • MNR is 24/7 but is almost identical to LIRR

Basically, which one is for me? I come from a small town to begin with and like the feel. Money isnt really isnt an issue but commuting is. I will work in the city but will have to travel a lot. I would like a large lot with at least 3200 sqft. A place with a walkable downtown with lots of small, local business. Friendly people without some much New Yawk accent.

This is a very hard decision for me and I could use some real detailed answers and insight.

Thanks!
Despite the bad weather, "slow as molasses" metro north and tiny streets I prefer Westchester. I just couldn't afford the area I wanted. Don't get it twisted though, Westchester has it's fair share of problems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Katonah is a nice area and I could see myself living there. I ran an mls search using the parameters of my house here and I came up with a little more house, a lot less land, a puny attached garage, and taxes (after STAR) of $15K. The house is very cute, but at $719K and missing some of what I would need, it's not that cute.

If I had to leave LI but stay in NY, I would seriously consider northern Westchester. I liked the area around Carmel, loved the little stone causeway crossing the reservoir (301/47). It would have been nice if LI had developed in the manner which Westchester did, as opposed to carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey by greedy developers.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 AM

748 posts, read 2,465,168 times
Westchester and Long Island have a lot more similarities than differences. The similarities are 1) Excellent schools. 2) High taxes 3) very similar Suburban train service to Manhattan 4) Large suburban areas, very safe for the most part. 5) Large rich and upper middle class presence, as well as solid middle class in many areas.

The Pros for Westchester are 1) Hilly and scenic in many areas 2) Downtowns exist for many areas 3) Trains go to Grand Central, a nicer station, and better if you work on the east side. 4) This is more a difference than a pro, but Westchester has a greater concentration of white collar than Long Island. 5) Lower density of population than Nassau county. 6) White Plains. There is no such equivalent semi-urban center in Long Island, though people keep dreaming about it.

The Pros for Long Island are 1) Better beaches and state parks. 2) More convenient shopping. This is true for things like Indian groceries, Ikea etc. 3) more blue collar neighborhoods (treat this as a pro or a con depending on you). 4) Housing and taxes a little lower and more affordable, especially after the crash 5) Cheaper water. but Water quality is the same as Westchester ( believe me, I tested it).

Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,628,597 times
LI is shot go with Westchester my only fear is that will be the next area
the City Folks will build up and destroy like they did to long island

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM

488 posts, read 337,998 times
Westchester can be summed up in a single multiple choice question:

As a Westchster resident, which of the following best describes you?
A. I'm like most people in Westchester
B. There's NO ONE like ME in Westchester
C. Both A and B are true

Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM

414 posts, read 152,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
It's not even a comparison, Westchester is FAR better than Long Island in almost every aspect: traffic/transportation, people, quaintness, natural beauty. People in Westchester have class, Long Islanders are uncouth.

North Shore Long Island is ok but for the same amount of $$$ you can get a better quality of life in Westchester.

My boss lives in South Salem and commutes to Garden City everyday. He says its totally worth it.
LOL. I just pasted this post to all my LI buddies.

I am actually good friends with a couple who moved from Suffolk (Northport and happaugue) to South Salem. It is a great town, they love it. No traffic, nice people. They still like out east on LI, but HATE Nassau.

Anyway, hopefully my friends won't find this post and abuse me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or