U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,956,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I wasn't paying attention to any of that, so I don't know if they did that. All I did was sign the book, take the paper and go over to one of the "privacy" areas, fill out the ballot, and then bring it to the scanner and feed it through.
The pad had all the official hallmarks and asked for name, party affiliation, and had numbers running down the left side. My number was 23 and when I scanned it, the number 23 showed as it kept tabs on ballots counted. There is only one scanner per ED out here in the Stony Boonie -- I don't know if that holds true for more densely populated areas.

The volunteers weren't even distributing the sheaths to place the ballots into which were being used to feed the ballots in while keeping them private. Instead they had voters flip the ballot in half so that it was covered while one end was fed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,850,456 times
It would be interesting to know the cost of the new system verses the old and what relative /friend received the contract for the new scanners.Seems like a huge waste of paper alone.JMO

Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 AM

16,962 posts, read 19,737,674 times
I don't ever remember having to show ID when voting. When was this??

Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,533,860 times
We were in and out in less that 3 minutes (thats what she said!).

My polling place was pretty empty at about 6:30PM. I brought my son to let him pull the lever because I forgot about the scanners. I don't see what the big deal is. They had "Privacy Areas" to select the clowns on the ballot and then I scanned it in to the machine.

The only negative part of the experience was the people I had to choose from on the ballot.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM

5,702 posts, read 8,150,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't ever remember having to show ID when voting. When was this??
You've never had to show ID to vote - ever. Except now there's a GOP push to make voting less accessible with proposed legislation in several states to require ID to vote going forward. It's all about less votes if you're the GOP. I admit it's handled very well when people think they had to show ID to vote before and suddenly think it's a new problem.

Voter fraud and dirty election tricks are a problem - always have been. Requiring certain ID(s) won't fix it.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,533,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You've never had to show ID to vote - ever. Except now there's a GOP push to make voting less accessible with proposed legislation in several states to require ID to vote going forward. It's all about less votes if you're the GOP. I admit it's handled very well when people think they had to show ID to vote before and suddenly think it's a new problem.

Voter fraud and dirty election tricks are a problem - always have been. Requiring certain ID(s) won't fix it.
I am curious, how does it make it less accessible?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,986,046 times
Quote:

One thing I did notice was that in the book there was an example of my signature across from where I had to sign in.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,986,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The pad had all the official hallmarks and asked for name, party affiliation, and had numbers running down the left side. My number was 23 and when I scanned it, the number 23 showed as it kept tabs on ballots counted. There is only one scanner per ED out here in the Stony Boonie -- I don't know if that holds true for more densely populated areas.

The volunteers weren't even distributing the sheaths to place the ballots into which were being used to feed the ballots in while keeping them private. Instead they had voters flip the ballot in half so that it was covered while one end was fed in.
I didn't notice all that as I was tired ... had to get up early and go before going into the city as I can never be sure if I will get back in time to vote before the polls close. (One time I missed it by minutes and even though there were other people still inside, they wouldn't let me in, so I learned my lesson from that -- it's better to go early.)

That does sound creepy however that it is keeping track of how YOU specifically voted (#23) ... it should not be like that. It should just count the votes and not cross-reference them to the registered voter. What is the point of keeping track of the votes in that way? Sounds like big brother is watching.

Where I was at they did give me a privacy sleeve.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

If legislation is passed laying out all acceptable forms of ID (realizing not every USC eligible to vote has a drivers license) how does it make voting less accessible?

A question I have arose when I read the Rock the Vote web site:
Quote:
Can I put a P.O. Box address or a school mailbox address as my permanent address?
No. Your form will not be processed if you put a P.O. Box or school mailbox address as your permanent address. For districting purposes you must put a physical address. There is a section of the form to put your mailing address, in addition to your physical address.
What do the Matt Foleys of this world do as they 'live in a van, down by the river."?

My son sent in his registration a few months ago (motor-voter issue, never was registered despite filling everything out on the DL application a couple of years ago) and at the bottom, above the signature was a space for providing either a DLN, Last 4 of the SSN or a 'check box I have no ID' option.

Given the influx of illegal aliens of all nations, we should be concerned with voter fraud and place certain requirements on registering to vote.

Don't want to show ID -- fine, but provide ID when registering. That's where a problem lies in NY:
http://www.elections.state.ny.us/NYSBOE/download/voting/voteform.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I didn't notice all that as I was tired ... had to get up early and go before going into the city as I can never be sure if I will get back in time to vote before the polls close. (One time I missed it by minutes and even though there were other people still inside, they wouldn't let me in, so I learned my lesson from that -- it's better to go early.)

That does sound creepy however that it is keeping track of how YOU specifically voted (#23) ... it should not be like that. It should just count the votes and not cross-reference them to the registered voter. What is the point of keeping track of the votes in that way? Sounds like big brother is watching.

Where I was at they did give me a privacy sleeve.
If it were busier, perhaps my ballot acceptance number and the number on the pad wouldn't have matched. The person who voted before me was feeding his form into the machine and there was no one else at the privacy booths for our ED.

Maybe things get a little more jumbled when it gets busier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island