U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM

18,697 posts, read 14,816,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I am curious, how does it make it less accessible?
Not everyone has ID's, especially in poorer areas as ID's do cost $$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,668,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Oh cmon, it costs $9 to $14 for a non-driver id (valid 5-9 years) issued from NYSDMV.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM

18,697 posts, read 14,816,085 times
Its different in each state, and for those who are dirt poor its $9-$14 too much

Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
In the poorer areas, many of the people have SSNs EBTs and other entitlement program cards, don't they need them to receive benefits?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Its different in each state, and for those who are dirt poor its $9-$14 too much
Many clinics operate on a sliding scale. Perhaps DMV non driver ID cards should be issued in that way. If someone's on SSDI/Medicaid, etc., present their benefits statement and card, birth cert, etc, to procure a non driver ID at little to no cost to the recipient.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Oh cmon, it costs $9 to $14 for a non-driver id (valid 5-9 years) issued from NYSDMV.
Also have to take off time from work to go down and get it.

See, this is classic conservative myopia - just not getting how bad things are out there for the poor. Central to the conservative worldview is a refusal to recognize that things are ever actually so bad that people don't have a choice. They don't oppose welfare because they hate poor people, they oppose welfare because they think that hardly anyone really needs welfare to survive, and anyone who can't pay their bills without assistance is either wasting money with poor spending decisions or too lazy/stupid to make enough money (because conservatives also think that income is linked to personal merit).

Entitled as they are, they basically can't really understand someone literally having no other choice but to receive welfare or turn to less-legal ways of earning money. They simply just do not realize that things are actually that bad in their beloved US of A, and they'd refuse to believe it if you told them because their worldview basically depends on the belief that things aren't absolutely f'n horrible.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM

7,246 posts, read 9,598,026 times
I am a polling chairperson and perhaps can answer a few of these questions. Re: no ID. According to the Board of Elections law, if the book has an ID icon we must ask for it. If you sign in we have to look a the signatures to see if they are the same. Last year I had a lady whose country of origin was not this country, so her first name was unfamiliar to me, she signed in and voted and we noticed her because we commented that she was quite exotic looking. Several hours later in different clothes she returned and tried to vote as her father and we asked her for ID. She said she left it in the car and would get it and bring it back. We never saw her again.

Re: Political party and ballots. There is one pad of ballots and they are handed out in any order the people come in, therefore, if 5 republicans come in in a row and then 2 independents and then 2 democrats. They are all handed ballots out of the same pad.

The ballot pad stub (similar to the side tab checks you may have) are numbered but not the individual ballots, so we could never in reality determine who cast which ballot. The pads are numbered so we can verify the # of voters on the screen to the # of paper ballots handed out.

Kevink1955. You are correct that was not handled properly. If a ballot is, as yours was, damaged or if a person makes an incorrect marking the ballot needs to be "spoiled". The proper procedure is for you to fold the ballot in half side to side and then in half side to side again. This prevents me from seeing your secret ballot. YOU then are to be directed to either a privacy booth or private area as is practicable, I am then to give you a stamper that in large letters says "SPOILED" and you are directed to stamp it once on the face of the ballot and refold it as you did before. You return the stamper to me and then you either hand me the folded ballot to place in the locked spoiled ballot bag as you watch or you place it in their yourself.

There is a tape that spits out at the end of the night and it gives the Office and the names and totals.

Supreme Court Judge

Joe Smith 45
Anne Joes 45

Again, there is no way to determine who voted for whom.

As a poll worker I agree with many of you .I like the old lever machine better by a mile. Faster, simpler and it got the job done. But, there was no secondary backup if the machine failed. We now have it with these machines.

As to the question of cost. Sit down folks. The 1300 voting machines were purchased for a combined total of 14.1 million dollars but the bottom line was 9.5 million because we got a rebate for some machines we used for only a year or 2. But here is the big dent, through next year 2012, we can pay no more than 55 per ballot. I believe each ballot this year was 52 cents.

If you have any more questions I am happy to try and answer them if I can.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Thank you for answering our questions.

What was the reason for the pad where our names and our party registration and order number we arrived in were recorded?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 AM

In my district we no longer do that, but it is optional. I believe you are referring to a "courtesy" listing that was done for many years by agreement with the 2 major parties. The purpose was to bi-partisanly provide the authorized (by legal document provided to the chairperson) poll watcher, access to the raw numbers of who had actually come to the polls. Those individuals would then take those numbers back to HQ and they could use them as a baseline of how they thought the vote was going. Say for example Party#1 voters were out voting Party# 2 voters by 2 to 1 in that district, then Party #2 then would start getting on the phones and calling supporters to get out and vote.
We no longer offer it for a number of reasons, people do not vote across the board as much as they did years ago, so the numbers don't tell as much as they used to. With cell phones and texting and robo calling they simply can "annoy" everyone much more efficiently with the touch of a recorded message rather than selectively call only those who have not voted. Lastly it takes an inspector (the ones who register you in the book) away from their actual duty and in my opinion, they are busier now than before.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I am happy to respond to the positive rep comment question but I don't understand what Massachusetts has to do with Rocky Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island