U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,115,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Also have to take off time from work to go down and get it.

See, this is classic conservative myopia - just not getting how bad things are out there for the poor. Central to the conservative worldview is a refusal to recognize that things are ever actually so bad that people don't have a choice. They don't oppose welfare because they hate poor people, they oppose welfare because they think that hardly anyone really needs welfare to survive, and anyone who can't pay their bills without assistance is either wasting money with poor spending decisions or too lazy/stupid to make enough money (because conservatives also think that income is linked to personal merit).

Entitled as they are, they basically can't really understand someone literally having no other choice but to receive welfare or turn to less-legal ways of earning money. They simply just do not realize that things are actually that bad in their beloved US of A, and they'd refuse to believe it if you told them because their worldview basically depends on the belief that things aren't absolutely f'n horrible.
So you just want to let people vote 15 times each that way the Democrats can stay in power forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,571,729 times
I feel that ID should be required to vote. The people using the example that people receiving government assistance may not have ID is a fallacy as one of the requirements to receive government assistance is to provide proof of identification. If they had to provide proof of ID to get benefits, why not then have to provide proof of ID to vote?

There would be such a small minority of people that would be turned away from voting due to not having ID. And suffice it to say, but the population that would be turned away are most likely people that do not take the time to vote anyway. As there is only 10-12% voter turnout (in a good year), I don't see that a small minority being turned away for no ID would be that detrimental.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM

18,684 posts, read 14,808,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I feel that ID should be required to vote. The people using the example that people receiving government assistance may not have ID is a fallacy as one of the requirements to receive government assistance is to provide proof of identification. If they had to provide proof of ID to get benefits, why not then have to provide proof of ID to vote?

There would be such a small minority of people that would be turned away from voting due to not having ID. And suffice it to say, but the population that would be turned away are most likely people that do not take the time to vote anyway. As there is only 10-12% voter turnout (in a good year), I don't see that a small minority being turned away for no ID would be that detrimental.
Not everyone who is poor gets government assistance. Also voter turnout is far higher than 10-12%. In off year elections like this its generally in the 20's to low 30's. Pres elections typically haveturnout in the 60's with midterms being somewhere in between.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So you just want to let people vote 15 times each that way the Democrats can stay in power forever?
There is no evidence whatsoever people are voting 15 times each regardless of political affiliation.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Skeeter31 and Smash255, I can only speak with certainty about Nassau County which is where I am a chairperson, but from what I understand it is fairly standard state wide. The reason the majority of people are not required to show ID is because they have an established voting record on file which in Nassau includes the signature. When a person registers to vote for the fist time they have to submit proof of identity/residency and sign the voter registration form, The following is from the voter registration form:

Identification Requirements
Your identity must be verified prior to election day, so that you will not have to provide identification when you vote. Your identity can be verified through your DMV number (driver’s license number or]non-driver ID number), or the last four digits of your social security number, as requested in Box 9 of this application. If your identity is not verified before election day, you will be asked to provide identification when you vote for the first time. Samples of the identification you may provide include a valid photo ID, a current ]utility bill, bank statement, government check or some other government document that shows your name and address. If you include a copy of any identification with this application, be sure to tape the sides of this form closed.

As to people voting multiple times, by law you are only permitted to cast a vote once. Each time a person would attempt to vote in another district, and the name is not in the book, they are permitted to fill in an affidavit ballot which is an envelope that once filled in and signed, you are then given the very same ballot that everyone else has filled in, with the exception that it gets torn out of the same book but it gets folded in 4's so it can't be scanned. The voter then places it in the affidavit envelope they have completed, a poll inspector signs it, as to having received it and it is placed a specially marked bag and the bag is sealed to be opened by BOE personnel only (as opposed to someone like myself, a poll worker). Once they are opened the BOE will determine by comparing to the voter registration records if the person is a validly registered voter and check to see if they have voted in a district on a machine. Then and only then will the affidavit ballots be counted if they have not actually voted on a machine. So you see it is virtually impossible to vote more than once.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not everyone who is poor gets government assistance. Also voter turnout is far higher than 10-12%. In off year elections like this its generally in the 20's to low 30's. Pres elections typically haveturnout in the 60's with midterms being somewhere in between.
SSNs have to be requested shortly after birth for quite some time now. My oldest is 19 and we were handed the paperwork at the hospital. A child's SSN is needed on the parent's tax return.

While some poor might not receive government assistance, chances are they and their children have SSNs and birth certificates for ID.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,011,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Is that really what you got out of my post or did you just want to say that anway? The conservative "thought" process is so knee-jerk that it's hard to tell.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
SSNs have to be requested shortly after birth for quite some time now. My oldest is 19 and we were handed the paperwork at the hospital. A child's SSN is needed on the parent's tax return.

While some poor might not receive government assistance, chances are they and their children have SSNs and birth certificates for ID.
Many people lose ss cards its hhappen to me in the past and obviously when that happens you need to spend $$$ to get a new one. It shouldn't cost people $$ in order to vote or have what is needed to vote. We have thankfully have gotten past the poll tax days and shouldn't go back. Could more be done to combat fraud? Perhaps , bowever policies that could make it more difficult for poor people to vote is not the way it should be done.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many people lose ss cards its hhappen to me in the past and obviously when that happens you need to spend $$$ to get a new one. It shouldn't cost people $$ in order to vote or have what is needed to vote. We have thankfully have gotten past the poll tax days and shouldn't go back. Could more be done to combat fraud? Perhaps , bowever policies that could make it more difficult for poor people to vote is not the way it should be done.

The Social Security Administration does not charge for a replacement SS card, perhaps you have been taken by an agency that attempts to mirror a government site.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The Social Security Administration does not charge for a replacement SS card, perhaps you have been taken by an agency that attempts to mirror a government site.
I was actually thinking of my birth certificate needed to replace both a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island