U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many people lose ss cards its hhappen to me in the past and obviously when that happens you need to spend $$$ to get a new one. It shouldn't cost people $$ in order to vote or have what is needed to vote. We have thankfully have gotten past the poll tax days and shouldn't go back. Could more be done to combat fraud? Perhaps , bowever policies that could make it more difficult for poor people to vote is not the way it should be done.
Once again, if someone is receiving some sort of government aid (SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, etc.) they should be allowed to present that to the governing body which releases ID -- for example, DoH, with documentation from the agency providing the aid -- for reduced or free replacement certificate. Or if the person is working poor -- bring in a copy of their tax return indicating their limited income.

DH had lost his BC so we had to pay to replace it, while it wasn't a lot of money for us, I can understand it being costly to someone at poverty level.

Replacement SSNs are free -- I had mine replaced when I married, divorced, remarried.

How many of the people are claiming 'Poor people can't afford it' are actually poor and can't afford it, or are just making excuses and enabling those who should be able to get ID?

If there were a program enacted to provide free or reduced cost (sliding scale based on income) ID, would those citing "can't afford it" still take issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 PM

18,686 posts, read 14,808,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Once again, if someone is receiving some sort of government aid (SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, etc.) they should be allowed to present that to the governing body which releases ID -- for example, DoH, with documentation from the agency providing the aid -- for reduced or free replacement certificate. Or if the person is working poor -- bring in a copy of their tax return indicating their limited income.

DH had lost his BC so we had to pay to replace it, while it wasn't a lot of money for us, I can understand it being costly to someone at poverty level.

Replacement SSNs are free -- I had mine replaced when I married, divorced, remarried.

How many of the people are claiming 'Poor people can't afford it' are actually poor and can't afford it, or are just making excuses and enabling those who should be able to get ID?

If there were a program enacted to provide free or reduced cost (sliding scale based on income) ID, would those citing "can't afford it" still take issue?
Will they be able to get it without needing to take time off from work in order to do so??

Most of those who make noise about this are those who represent the poorer districts, and the majority of those without ID's have shown to be in many of the poorer areas.

There has also been very little if any evidence to suggest that people are voting multiple times,

Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Will they be able to get it without needing to take time off from work in order to do so??

Most of those who make noise about this are those who represent the poorer districts, and the majority of those without ID's have shown to be in many of the poorer areas.

There has also been very little if any evidence to suggest that people are voting multiple times,
I replaced two birth certificates, issued by two different government entities, with a phone call and use of the USPS. Taking time off from work is a poor excuse.

Look at the case with Catholic University -- a non Muslim attorney is claiming the Muslim students are not being given accommodations to pray (room without a crucifix) while the actual Muslim students have no issue with Catholic University. Like this attorney, what's not to say these representatives in poor districts aren't doing the same?

Wouldn't it be in the representative's best interest to help see that his constituents had proper ID available (and the means to access it at no or reduced cost) in the event his constituents needed ID for social safety nets?

Is it a bad thing to see people have proper ID -- if not for voting, but for their own use? (Setting up utilities, credit check for a rental, loans, college apps, etc.)

What say you that if these poor were to have to apply for Section 8, welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, etc., that they would have the ID available that we're discussing -- birth cert, SSN, DL or non driver ID?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 PM

18,686 posts, read 14,808,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I replaced two birth certificates, issued by two different government entities, with a phone call and use of the USPS. Taking time off from work is a poor excuse.

Look at the case with Catholic University -- a non Muslim attorney is claiming the Muslim students are not being given accommodations to pray (room without a crucifix) while the actual Muslim students have no issue with Catholic University. Like this attorney, what's not to say these representatives in poor districts aren't doing the same?

Wouldn't it be in the representative's best interest to help see that his constituents had proper ID available (and the means to access it at no or reduced cost) in the event his constituents needed ID for social safety nets?

Is it a bad thing to see people have proper ID -- if not for voting, but for their own use? (Setting up utilities, credit check for a rental, loans, college apps, etc.)

What say you that if these poor were to have to apply for Section 8, welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, etc., that they would have the ID available that we're discussing -- birth cert, SSN, DL or non driver ID?

To get a photo ID you certainly need to take time off from work. And yes some of these things should be offered at reduced or no cost, but the very same ones who want the ids would be screaming you are giving handouts if that was done. And once again I will point out there has been no evidence whatsoever to suggest people are voting multiple times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island