U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:31 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,736,174 times
Reputation: 4451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So in that case, "city folk" have always been on LI because Far Rockaway (and the rest of the Queens towns) have always been a part of it.
All of Nassau County (and, a small part of Suffolk County) was part of Queens County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 PM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,497,560 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
All of Nassau County (and, a small part of Suffolk County) was part of Queens County.
I remember living up in the Mineola area when I was younger, I saw a sign over in Garden City Park saying that the Queens border used to be there. Did it shrink over time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 PM
 
1,418 posts, read 2,196,400 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombero2811 View Post
no their not!

they say so in thier songs!

Serch grew up in Far Rockaway, Queens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,736,174 times
Reputation: 4451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I remember living up in the Mineola area when I was younger, I saw a sign over in Garden City Park saying that the Queens border used to be there. Did it shrink over time?
Sometime prior to January 1, 1898, the Queens County seat was in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,736,174 times
Reputation: 4451
.
.
Geographic history of Queens
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,317,525 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Sometime prior to January 1, 1898, the Queens County seat was in that area.
But he's asking if the border was ever near Mineola. Did it go from it's original border in Suffolk County to a border that passed through Mineola, and finally go to the current border we see today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,736,174 times
Reputation: 4451
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But he's asking if the border was ever near Mineola. Did it go from it's original border in Suffolk County to a border that passed through Mineola, and finally go to the current border we see today?
No.

See my immediately preceding post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,736,174 times
Reputation: 4451
With a little help from Wikipedia:

The seat of the (Queens) county government was located first in Jamaica, but the courthouse was torn down by the British during the American Revolution to use the materials to build barracks.

After the war, various buildings in Jamaica temporarily served as courthouse and jail until a new building was erected about 1787 (and later completed) in an area near Mineola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,736,174 times
Reputation: 4451
With a little more help from Wikipedia:

The former county courthouse was located northeast of the intersection of Jericho Turnpike (NY Route 25) and the aptly named County Courthouse Road in an unincorporated area of the Town of North Hempstead, variously referred to in the present day as Garden City Park or New Hyde Park. The site is now a shopping center anchored by a supermarket and is located in the New Hyde Park 11040 Zip Code. A stone marker located on the north side of Jericho Turnpike (NY Route 25), between Marcus Avenue and Herricks Road, identifies the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,497,560 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
With a little more help from Wikipedia:

The former county courthouse was located northeast of the intersection of Jericho Turnpike (NY Route 25) and the aptly named County Courthouse Road in an unincorporated area of the Town of North Hempstead, variously referred to in the present day as Garden City Park or New Hyde Park. The site is now a shopping center anchored by a supermarket and is located in the New Hyde Park 11040 Zip Code. A stone marker located on the north side of Jericho Turnpike (NY Route 25), between Marcus Avenue and Herricks Road, identifies the site.
Yep that's exactly what I remember.

Thanks WG, very informative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top