U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 AM

56 posts, read 121,243 times

Advertisements

Wondering what the area of Far Rockaway (beach 23) is like?
And how about the bungalows there.

I love the idea that is near the beach. And do not mind that it is a 45 min train ride from Manhattan.

What are the INTERIORS of the bungalows like?
And the area of beach 23? Schools? Anything youknow.

Thanks
!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Isnt that the little white enclave south of Seagirt Blvd near the Atlantic Beach Bridge? I havent been down in that area in years but I believe that community was pretty tight knit. The area North of Seagirt wasn't great.
The area you are talking about....sort of like Fort Apache.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,028,988 times
Most of Far Roc is in bad shape. Lots of vacant homes, lots of violence in and around the projects which take up a lot of real estate down there.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanGirlz View Post
And do not mind that it is a 45 min train ride from Manhattan.
If I were you I would verify this myself. The A train can be awful.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM

222 posts, read 589,358 times
Quote:

I love the idea that is near the beach. And do not mind that it is a 45 min train ride from Manhattan.

Thanks
!

If you want to live in a beach community, stay the hell out of Far Rock and look towards Long Beach. Far Rock has a lot of crime, projects & very run down areas. It's not the beach community you're thinking of.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times
While Far Rockaway was previously part of the Town of Hempstead, on January 1, 1898, it was taken from the Town of Hempstead and, together with the City of Long Island City, the Town of Newtown, the Town of Flushing and the Town of Jamaica, it became the part of Queens County that became the NYC Borough of Queens.

In other words, you might want to post your query in the New York City forum.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:

Thanks !
I can't seem to find a Beach 23rd Street on Google Maps. I see Beach 24th Street and Beach 22nd Street but no Beach 23rd Street.

In any case, Far Rockaway isn't too great an area. Some parts are terrible (near the projects in the neighborhood), but the part by the waterfront may be alright (I think the best part is probably in the lower numbered streets like Beach 12th Street, etc, but only near the waterfront)

And I think the (A) is a little over 45 minutes to Lower Manhattan, but if you're going to Midtown Manhattan, you're talking around an hour just on the train itself.

And the schools probably aren't too good. Check the zoning, but I'm pretty sure that the kids will be mized in with the other Far Rockaway residents.

Bayswater (in the opposite direction from the train) is a little more isolated, so the local schools might be alright, but I'm not sure about the neighborhood itself. It's probably alright but again, you're close to a high-crime area.

You might want to try Rockaway Park, at the other end of the peninsula.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM

56 posts, read 121,243 times
Thank you all soo much for your replies !

Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,974,415 times
Checkmate's information is not very accurate. You are welcome to DM me with any specific questions.

The residents are trying to get historic landmark status for those bungalows. Some have been renovated and "winterized." Some work was done to fix up the boardwalk in the immediate area of those bungalows. These residents have a very long and difficult uphill battle to revitalize the area. The interiors are tiny. It's been a while since I have been inside, but I think they have about 4 rooms. There was a film (aired on PBS) and a book released about 2 years ago regarding these particular bungalows. Very interesting history and I wish these people lots of luck on their project.

The A train might get you up to Broadway/Nassau in 45 minutes on a very good day if there are no delays, if the bridge does not open and get stuck, if the trains are not replaced with bus service due to weather/track service and a hundred other reasons. Otherwise, count on at least 1.5 hours, at least, into midtown and infrequent service. Also the area around the station is horrible.

The area around the bungalows is high crime for the most part. There are still some elderly residents sticking it out. Honestly, I think Afghanistan is safer. Bayswater, which is not where the OP is talking about, is much nicer.
Shopping is limited and also not comfortable in terms of safety.

The schools in Far Rock are ranked in the bottom. I think they are supposed to close PS105, but they are all pretty bad. You can check out the history behind poor Far Rockaway HS for yourself. You could check out the Arverne By the Sea area further up and see if that works better for you, but there are still transportation and school problems.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 50,773 times
I live at Arverne by the Sea and commute to Manhattan on the A train. The builder is almost done with a shopping center right at the Beach 67th street station. I'll be able to pick up my morning coffee and bagel soon enough and jump on the train. The ride isn't bad at all. I don't have kids so I can't speak to the schools, but there are plenty of kids in my neighborhood and from what I hear the parents are perfectly happy with the schools. I believe the Arverne by the Sea website has a list of all schools both private and public in the area so I would check that out if I was you. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island