U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times

Advertisements

Is Long Island Lutheran still around? I went there for one year in the sixties when it was brand new and still had all of the original buildings from the old estate it had been built on.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM

334 posts, read 925,941 times
nancy thereader, LuHi is still going strong, I know a kid who goes there and the family says it's a great school
Long Island Lutheran Middle & High School

Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 PM

148 posts, read 406,032 times
Best education = from parents after school. Ex. The homeless Brentwood girl who's an intel finalist.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
As a former HS bio teacher, I can tell you that while I would never comeback with the comment that BigBlue53 did immediately after your question. Although I tend to agree that we are pushing our kids to excel too early and as a result we have created a whole generation plus of kids with ulcers and personality problems and poor social skills.

I am not trying to be mean here but you list your "want" list for your 4th grader. I want my child to get most out of lower school & middle school, and ultimately get into "top tier" college by going to "college prep" school. Are you being fair to that child? You seem to be trying to set him/her up for the rest of his/her life to do exactly what? This is a 4th grader and you are worried about college already. Have you determined what career path you want him/her to follow? What firm/hospital to work for? This is your child not a game piece that you play strategy with. IF your child is a student and is in a good school, he/she will excel. Cream rises to the top. If you are unhappy with the local schools do your research and find a private school. Please STOP with BEST - there is no such thing as a one size fits all shoe, and so too, not one school that is BEST for all, all children are individuals. The most well rounded of my students often times were not the BEST, and I can tell you many of them turned out just fine. Put yourself as a 4th grader and see how you would feel if your parents were doing to you, what you are to your child.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
The one thats on Ling Island.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
"The BEST" Eduction BEGINS at home

Classic.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,018,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As a former HS bio teacher, I can tell you that while I would never comeback with the comment that BigBlue53 did immediately after your question. Although I tend to agree that we are pushing our kids to excel too early and as a result we have created a whole generation plus of kids with ulcers and personality problems and poor social skills.

I am not trying to be mean here but you list your "want" list for your 4th grader. I want my child to get most out of lower school & middle school, and ultimately get into "top tier" college by going to "college prep" school. Are you being fair to that child? You seem to be trying to set him/her up for the rest of his/her life to do exactly what? This is a 4th grader and you are worried about college already. Have you determined what career path you want him/her to follow? What firm/hospital to work for? This is your child not a game piece that you play strategy with. IF your child is a student and is in a good school, he/she will excel. Cream rises to the top. If you are unhappy with the local schools do your research and find a private school. Please STOP with BEST - there is no such thing as a one size fits all shoe, and so too, not one school that is BEST for all, all children are individuals. The most well rounded of my students often times were not the BEST, and I can tell you many of them turned out just fine. Put yourself as a 4th grader and see how you would feel if your parents were doing to you, what you are to your child.

Cant rep this enough - it is very true. There is no "best". My college roommate went to Stuyvesant, a high school everyone calls "the best" in NYC. She is really brilliant, but terribly lazy. She is now on her 3rd Masters degree, in her mid 30s and still lives at home, isn't married and has a terrible employment record (actually canned from 2 jobs so far because she cant seem to get to work on time). Education starts at home.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM

466 posts, read 874,410 times
yeah, I've been in the OP's shoes. In the end, you learn that a race horse will run like hell, no matter where he or she is. Just make sure you provide the skills at home for your child to flourish. And on the other hand, sometimes a child will surprise you with learning difficulties... You just never know.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,028 times
friends academy is an extremely well and friendly environment. don't listen to the rumors of the stuck up brats, because it's not true. even though the price is high, my children are learning at a very well pace and my oldest one was accepted to both harvard and UPenn though she chose UPenn for a career is osteopathic surgery. also, although it is a quaker school, students of any ethnicities and religions are allowed. the quaker tradition is to keep a peaceful mind and the disciplinary system is not overly-harsh nor lousy, more like more toward the upper, but your child will not be a ruffian.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM

840 posts, read 2,053,979 times
^you need spell check or better grammar I am guessing you didn't go to Friends. jk

i know some very well-adjusted kids who go to Friends but lets not fool ourselves, it's a rich-kids school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island