U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 AM

1,098 posts, read 2,145,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
i know some very well-adjusted kids who go to Friends but lets not fool ourselves, it's a rich-kids school.
Whenever I see yet another blonde woman in a black Range Rover turn into the Friends Academy parking lot, I want to throw up. There are scads of good public schools on Long Island where your kid will thrive and see a good deal of the world. Why would you send your kid to private school in an area that probably has the best public education in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM

840 posts, read 2,053,979 times
^because they might be exposed to upper middle class ruffians

Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
I went to Friends in the 70s as did my two siblings. With at least one kid there every year for close to 20 years, it is familiar to our family. Friends is, first, the leading country day school in the area and, second, a Quaker school. This is a function of history. In the 50s and 60s it was the only game in town as far as country days that go through grade 12. This meant it attracted families primarily interested in a high end private school, not a Quaker one. By contrast, Quaker schools in say the Philadelphia area, where there are many non-Quaker choices available, get families that are more specifically attracted by the Quaker angle. None of this is necessarily bad. A fairly secular independent country day need not make any apologies for what it is. I merely explain this for the purpose of perspective.

Much is made of the "rich kid" school angle. It is less relevant than you might think. Kids at Friends have pecking orders as all kids do, but they have little to do with money. Like all schools, looks, athletic prowess and social skills dictate that order, and because many of the financial aid students are among the strongest in those areas at FA, many of the alpha males and females are actually from the more modest backgrounds. Most private school kids are not conditioned to be snobs while they are there. Many get snobby later when they get out in the world and figure out that their backgrounds were posher than others they meet. As for FA, its cache is limited to LI, the north shore in particular. It carries no weight when you say that's where you went to school elsewhere.

The school is traditionally academically pretty strong, but nothing exceptional. College placement was once hampered by an absence of grade inflation or reported class ranks, but I suspect that may have changed. There is quite an emphasis on athletics. The graduating class was once half the size it is now and it was easy to play on a varsity team. They played similar private schools from NYC in a backwater league. Now they play public schools and athletic competition is higher. They don't want to admit it, but athletics are a big part of recruiting and financial aid decisions.

The facilities are resplendent. No details necessary on that.

Hope this gives perspective to anyone interested in this school

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

396 posts, read 283,001 times
I would check out Greenvale in Old Brookville. In fact, they have an open house in November if you are interested. The Waldorf Academy in Garden City isnt too impressive. The colleges that typically recruit from this school are B schools at best. Although, i think the school is great for a child who is on the quieter side. If you go on their website, you will be able to see the colleges who recruit on their calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island