Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 44,346 times

Advertisements

Can somebody help us find the best school for my child?
My child is 4th grade in public school now but we are exploring private school because quality of education seems much better in public school... What is the "best" private school in long island? I guess by "best" I mean where kids learn and excel by unleashing their potential & creativity.. Of course Most people talked about Portledge, Friends Academy, Waldorf, Stony brook or Eastwoods etc etc.. ( Don't know too many catholic schools). I guess main issue with private school is the tuitions and its cost.
I want my child to get most out of lower school & middle school, and ultimately get into "top tier" college by going to "college prep" school. My kid went to montessori school for pre-k, but I realized maybe my kid needs "smaller" environment rather than public elementary school where typical classes are over 20 kids and perhaps less challenging. My wife thinks my kid actually regressed after montessori pre-k. By that I guess she means if your kid stands out among whole bunch of kids (most parent might think like this !) you want to surround herself with school system that support kid's individualism, creativity, and nurture them. Maybe some of our public school system don't succeed and fail those requirement.
I heard Friends academy upper school is pretty rigorous, and seems like it maybe a good fit for my child but is it worth the money? Seems like portledge is a small school ( teacher/student ratio appears great) that is rich in tradition but how are the quality of student who graduate really ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,380 times
Do you ever allow your child some time to be a kid?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Do you ever allow your child some time to be a kid?
Of course not they think all their kids will grow up to be rich
politicians

Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
All schools, public and private claim that their goal it to unleash students' creativity and potential. But there is no one method that achieves the same results with all students. Different strokes . . . I don't think there is any consensus on a best Long Island private school. LI was never a mecca for nonsectarian private schools like NYC, which has a history for them. North Shore Preppy Friends Academy and South Shore hippy Progressive School of LI will both claim that their schools unleash creativity and potential, but that depends on your definition of creativity and potential.

Some things to consider besides tuition regarding nonsectarian private schools on LI.

They are small. Therefore, there is a much smaller availability of extra-curriculars, including sports. The teams usually play in an independent school league. "Specials," such as music, art, phys ed, library will be on a more limited scale, if offered at all. These schools are too small to support orchestras, bands, choirs on different levels. They may not even have a library. They often do not have the facilities (labs, library, music room, kiln for ceramics) or the equipment (science lab supplies, musical instruments, smartboard/overhead projectors) that larger public schools have.

The kids don't get to meet as many kids for socializaton as they do in public school. It kind of becomes an ingrown family year after year. It's the same with the parents. Either you're "in"or you're "out."

The kids don't get to know friends from their own neighborhood as well. You may have to drive your kids quite a distance for playdates and school group projects.

The location of the school. You may have to drive and pick up your kids from school everyday and if you choose a school not close to home, you have to make sure you have the time for that. School buses are only provided to schools located within a certain distance of your home (shorter distances for elementary school, greater distance for MS/HS.)

Sometimes, at these schools, teachers tend to tell parents what they want to hear about their children, rather than the truth. There can be grade inflation. The parents are the customers and it is important to make the customers happy. If you have the money to pay full tutition for these schools, they want your children badly. It's not like at the top prep schools in the city where there are waiting lists of people dying to get their kids in.

Since there is a small student population at the high school level, the selection of foreign language classes will be limited. The same goes for AP/IB classes as there will not be enough 11th and 12th grade students to form a full class to offer calculas AB and BC, statistics, physics, chem, bio all the same year.

You left out Pierce Country Day School, another North Shore expensive nonsectarian private school

Last edited by Coney; 11-08-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
Given that every parent on Long Island thinks their kid will be the next Einstein and needs to go to the top tier colleges to major in Sociology...may I suggest you look into Boces. There are plenty of jobs out there now in the skilled trades. Perhaps you can unleash his potential in plumbing or electricity.

But, then again, a Pre-K genius shouldn't be expected to become a steamfitter.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
There are no subterranean private schools on LI.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM

260 posts, read 450,983 times
Isnt the Ross school out east near Sag Harbor a private school?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,551 times
Is there anything like a "Juku" on Long Island? I'd rather send my child a regular public school for the social aspect and Juku afterwards to hit the books.

To me, primary education was all about growing up, and my parents definitely supported me on that. Went to public school, 40 kids to a class is the norm in Japan. I went to school for the social aspect. Empty bookbag on one shoulder, and electric guitar on the other. I belonged to a debate team, played volleyball, guitar in a punk rock band and even gigged in bars/clubs.

I didn't do much book learning in school but picked everything up in Juku.

I agree with Coney, the social aspect is VERY important. I really felt this when I went to a Private University. The University is recognized every year as THE top in it's field, but the low student/faculty ratio equates not only high tuition, but no sports, no school spirit, and limited extra activities... I spent my college days in my apartment, or in the labs. When I visited a friend at SUNY one semester "WOW!" I wish then I went to a big school.

If the school your child is in now is not measuring up to your standards, i think it's time for you to step in by either tutoring or sending to a "juku" of sorts. Pulling your kid out to send to a small school will put them on the outside of the social circle. Gotta weigh your options.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
When I went to elementary school we often had the "juku" experience. If you didn't learn, Sister Mary PassTheCandleLit would simply juku you out of your seat and up juku your head with her holy hands.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
I would go with the most expensive one, usually that means they are the best! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island