U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM

100 posts, read 177,536 times

Advertisements

I have spoken to my lawyer and real estate agent and would still like the opinions of the "experts" here.

First the commitment letter from the lender came back and mentions the home is listed as a duplex. It is a colonial. The garage was converted into a studio "apartment". Does that make it a multi family or duplex? I believe this has effected the taxes. The listing agent says it is listed wrong and that I should grieve the taxes and change it to single family. (Is that something they should have corrected? Is that easy to do - change it to a single family?) I believe Id like to take the space and make it into more living area for my family anyway.

ALSO, the lender in the commitment letter says that the rates will now be higher because my name is on a deed from my current home. I am in the process of separating from my husband. My name is NOT on the mortgage. They are saying since my name is on the deed at my current home that the new home will be an investment property. (But really it will be my one and only home.) They are saying that if I get divorced or legally separated that would be proof enough!!! Well, the legal separation is in the works, but they now feel like they will be ready to close in 2 weeks or so and Im SURE it wont be done. So Ill be stuck paying a higher interest rate? I am SOOO stressed out right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,382,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
I have spoken to my lawyer and real estate agent and would still like the opinions of the "experts" here.

First the commitment letter from the lender came back and mentions the home is listed as a duplex. It is a colonial. The garage was converted into a studio "apartment". Does that make it a multi family or duplex? I believe this has effected the taxes. The listing agent says it is listed wrong and that I should grieve the taxes and change it to single family. (Is that something they should have corrected? Is that easy to do - change it to a single family?) I believe Id like to take the space and make it into more living area for my family anyway.

ALSO, the lender in the commitment letter says that the rates will now be higher because my name is on a deed from my current home. I am in the process of separating from my husband. My name is NOT on the mortgage. They are saying since my name is on the deed at my current home that the new home will be an investment property. (But really it will be my one and only home.) They are saying that if I get divorced or legally separated that would be proof enough!!! Well, the legal separation is in the works, but they now feel like they will be ready to close in 2 weeks or so and Im SURE it wont be done. So Ill be stuck paying a higher interest rate? I am SOOO stressed out right now.

sending you a DM

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,436,570 times
push the closing out 30 days. Just tell your attorney. the contract should say "on or about" for the closing date.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM

9,038 posts, read 18,382,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
push the closing out 30 days. Just tell your attorney. the contract should say "on or about" for the closing date.

We don't know what the stipulated dates for the closing were in the contract.
Also, it is very common that once the bank approves the short sale/offer by the buyer, they want to close within 30 days from their decision.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
We don't know what the stipulated dates for the closing were in the contract.
Also, it is very common that once the bank approves the short sale/offer by the buyer, they want to close within 30 days from their decision.
Curious, so what happens when the buyer can't meet that request to close within 30 days? Does the deal fall apart/nulled and the house goes back on the market?

Seems like the buyers get jerked around by parties involved. Buyers wait and wait for them to make a decision, but once they do buyers need to act quick or else!

OP - I know you're stressed but I say don't get emotionally attached to anything. Remember, who's bringing the money to the table here... EVERYONE loses money if the buyer walks away, especially the banks. You are the customer!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM

880 posts, read 1,690,461 times
If it is a illegal apt it did not affect your taxes,the reason its illegal the town is not aware of it, how could they raise your taxes?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM

3,198 posts, read 8,115,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Curious, so what happens when the buyer can't meet that request to close within 30 days? Does the deal fall apart/nulled and the house goes back on the market?
It all depends upon what it says in the contract. Sometimes the deal will fall apart, but more often, the buyer's attorney will request an extension and it will be granted.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
It all depends upon what it says in the contract. Sometimes the deal will fall apart, but more often, the buyer's attorney will request an extension and it will be granted.
Thought so.

OP - Do what you have to do and things will work out. Keep showing that you are serious about making this purchase. The bank won't cut you loose as long as they don't get any other enticing offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island