U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: RP vs Shirley
Rocky Point 23 60.53%
Shirley 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,050,223 times
for a more simple point but important to most people -

Shirley has much much easier access to major highways.

Montauk, Sunrise, Expressway all are within 1-5 miles depending on where you live.

Train station too. Wheres the nearest one to RP? Port Jeff? ~_~

RP as to drive for decades just to get to a normal flowing highway..or anything of interest for that matter. So it helps Shirley not feel so "far out" since Sunrise moves nicely. RP you get that real true "where the hell am I" feeling. Also there is tons more shopping in Shirley.

And Peqs - East Yaphank is most defnitely not a CDP, it is however another accepted name for Shirley by the USPS. It is not a separate area though. Just another rinky dink sign.

Last edited by ydsavaged; 11-09-2011 at 04:36 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,071,329 times
Rocky Point is a DUMP

Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 AM

8,476 posts, read 9,061,366 times
I have no familiarity with either town at all, but any poll or question ruling out school district as a factor on Long Island is, like it or not, completely without merit.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,720,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
for a more simple point but important to most people -

Shirley has much much easier access to major highways.

Also there is tons more shopping in Shirley.
It is true that Shirley has better access to sunrise hwy. But that is about the only positive I see.

As for the shopping, I disagree. I didn't realize rocky point had a kohls when we moved out here so I made the mistake of going to the kohls in Shirley on a Saturday afternoon. Yowza, I felt like a needed a rabies shot and a purell shower when I left there. NEVER again. I am not comfortable risking my life on the uninsured, heroin highyway(also known as montauk highway) just so i can get to a strip mall with a Pathmark and a giant dollar store. Both shopping experiences speak of fine living. I will admit if I want to eat a 2000 calorie meal in a bag, Shirley is the only town in eastern Suffolk to visit. More fast food establishments than any other town I can think of on either shore east of
Almost every mini mart will take your welfare card though, the tent signs are out everywhere you look, so that's handy.

I'm pretty sure our resident know it alls, I mean The pequa boys would DIE if they had to hang out in shirley for more than 15 minutes. Big mouths, camaros and gold chains won't get you anywhere out there. Picture Burlington coat factory before they moved it to massapequa, when it was in amityville. Or better yet, picture the stunning sunrise mall on late Saturday afternoon.....yeah is really that bad in Shirley.
Like OBH said, it's not that shirley itself is so nasty, it's that it is the HUB for the surrounding slums.
Another selling point not made, if you want to get cheap cigs you've got the reservation in your backyard. Trust me, you don't want to run out if gas down there on a summer night.

My veterinarian moved his practice to lovely Shirley. I will not make an appointment in that office unless I can get an 8 am Saturday appointment, usually the roads are empty at that time. The locals are still sleeping it off which makes the trip a lot more safe.

And for GPSMA, it really speaks volumes about you that your girlfriend lives in
a place you so passionately despise. Maybe you should try to help he get out of there before something bad happens to her. Just a thought

Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
It is true that Shirley has better access to sunrise hwy. But that is about the only positive I see.

As for the shopping, I disagree. I didn't realize rocky point had a kohls when we moved out here so I made the mistake of going to the kohls in Shirley on a Saturday afternoon. Yowza, I felt like a needed a rabies shot and a purell shower when I left there. NEVER again. I am not comfortable risking my life on the uninsured, heroin highyway(also known as montauk highway) just so i can get to a strip mall with a Pathmark and a giant dollar store. Both shopping experiences speak of fine living. I will admit if I want to eat a 2000 calorie meal in a bag, Shirley is the only town in eastern Suffolk to visit. More fast food establishments than any other town I can think of on either shore east of
Almost every mini mart will take your welfare card though, the tent signs are out everywhere you look, so that's handy.

I'm pretty sure our resident know it alls, I mean The pequa boys would DIE if they had to hang out in shirley for more than 15 minutes. Big mouths, camaros and gold chains won't get you anywhere out there. Picture Burlington coat factory before they moved it to massapequa, when it was in amityville. Or better yet, picture the stunning sunrise mall on late Saturday afternoon.....yeah is really that bad in Shirley.
Like OBH said, it's not that shirley itself is so nasty, it's that it is the HUB for the surrounding slums.
Another selling point not made, if you want to get cheap cigs you've got the reservation in your backyard. Trust me, you don't want to run out if gas down there on a summer night.

My veterinarian moved his practice to lovely Shirley. I will not make an appointment in that office unless I can get an 8 am Saturday appointment, usually the roads are empty at that time. The locals are still sleeping it off which makes the trip a lot more safe.

a place you so passionately despise. Maybe you should try to help he get out of there before something bad happens to her. Just a thought

LOL this is hysterical - Don't even know how to tackle this first. I have been here for 20 years and never once had the sligthest problem in the Kohls shopping center, if anything its the nicest one in the town. Pathmark? no argument there.

If you fear for your life in Shirley, you really are pretty sheltered and have never been to a real low class area.

The reservation? Lol It is fine and the people there are nice. You obviously have never been there. Not to mention it is in Mastic and this thread is about Shirley. So the rez = irrelevant.

Are you just mad because you live in the most underdeveloped, boring, town of nothingness Long Island has to offer? Ridge is the home of hicks with cars parked on lawns and people that don;t know how to deal with the rest of the Island because they are so secluded and empty. You do know you could be living your simple country life upstate for much much cheaper right?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

oh and your one trip to Kohls certainly is more accurate than my 20 years living here - I am up and down Montuak Highway every day - it is no different than any other suffolk town. Look i'm sorry you have to drive a half hour to a store...must be frustrating.

I am only double posting because the computer I am at does not let me edit for some strange reason.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 AM

I also wanted to add that my aunt and uncle lived on Lawrence near the school for over 20 years, a lifelong friend of mine has lived on grand ave since the late 70's, a friend of my husband lives in the east yaphank section but is trying to sell and up until recently we had two section 8 rental properties in the "tangiers" area that we were lucky enough to unload. So I'm pretty familiar with Shirley.
I have never lived in rocky point, but I do shop there occasionally and eat in restaurants there and aside from it being slightly inconvenient to major highways I cannot understand how you can realistically compare the two towns.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I also wanted to add that my aunt and uncle lived on Lawrence near the school for over 20 years, a lifelong friend of mine has lived on grand ave since the late 70's, a friend of my husband lives in the east yaphank section but is trying to sell and up until recently we had two section 8 rental properties in the "tangiers" area that we were lucky enough to unload. So I'm pretty familiar with Shirley.
I have never lived in rocky point, but I do shop there occasionally and eat in restaurants there and aside from it being slightly inconvenient to major highways I cannot understand how you can realistically compare the two towns.

Again - my last 2 posts were the most time I would ever spend trying to defend this dump of a town. Shirley = Dump RP = Dump. Its all the boonies. I am out of here within less than 6 months. Fight with yourself. I never liked it here. But to me shirley, mastic, patchogue, rocky point, ridge, sound beach, whatever other crappy brookhaven towns u want to throw in - are all the same to my eyes.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
LOL this is hysterical - Don't even know how to tackle this first. I have been here for 20 years and never once had the sligthest problem in the Kohls shopping center, if anything its the nicest one in the town. Pathmark? no argument there.

If you fear for your life in Shirley, you really are pretty sheltered and have never been to a real low class area.

The reservation? Lol It is fine and the people there are nice. You obviously have never been there. Not to mention it is in Mastic and this thread is about Shirley. So the rez = irrelevant.

Are you just mad because you live in the most underdeveloped, boring, town of nothingness Long Island has to offer? Ridge is the home of hicks with cars parked on lawns and people that don;t know how to deal with the rest of the Island because they are so secluded and empty. You do know you could be living your simple country life upstate for much much cheaper
right?
I have been ON the reservation unfortunately. My mothers housekeeper married an "Indian" and moved herself and her two young daughters on to the reservation. Within one week her older daughter was mauled by a loose pit pull and her brand new mobile home was set on fire by someone her new husband had beef with. When she called the police for both events, they told her there was nothing they could do because it took place on reservation property. We went there with a u-haul my mom rented to get her and her girls and the remainder of her belongings out of there.

And no I'm not mad about where I live. I can almost guarantee my taxes are less than yours and my neighbors are not clueless hicks. My neighborhood offers things you cannot buy for any amount of money anywhere on LI and that is a fact.
I enjoy a beautiful 10 minute ride to Riverhead for shopping but if I'm really in the mood to shop(which is rare) I head into our apartment in midtown east and shop there.
I'm proud of where I live, we live here by choice not circumstance. All of our friends from Nassau and western Suffolk are out here almost every weekend in the summer so their kids can experience a wonderful, simple life of swimming in pristine water, boating, fishing, campfires and more. It is my pleasure and honor for our home to be such a huge tradition in the lives of our loved ones.

I'm glad you're happy with where you live, everyone should live in a place THEY love.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 AM

And the Pequa boys both know where I am from, and will assure you it is nicer than most of Suffolk.

Trust me I know all about GTL and Fuccos. Mass and Mass Park are nowhere near as Italian as you deep suffolk people make them out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island