Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: RP vs Shirley
Rocky Point 23 60.53%
Shirley 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

My husband was raised north shore, I was raised south shore and lived in Massapequa, Babylon and Islip Terrace before moving to the north shore. I spent a lot of time on the Outer Beach and Democrat. I can appreciate the natural beauty of the barrier beaches and also understand how the towns (both Shirley and Rocky Point) came to be what we know today as others decided to head out of the city and enjoy the fresh marine air.

Eliminating the schools makes this next to impossible. One has to ask -- why is WF such a disaster? If it's the students and their parents, these are the same people who would be your neighbors in Shirley, be the same people your children would hang out with, be the same people you would interact with when out in public. Eliminating a source of Shirley's stigma for the sake of a poll doesn't only manipulate the poll but does nothing for Shirley.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
See the problem is that most Suffolkians live in a time warp and rarely drive out of their enviroment. I doubt most of the posters here have been west of Rte 110 in over 20 years.
except for me, I still drive all over. Even out to FQ still and that is a 50 mile drive for me.

But isnt it kind of the same for nassau people? do they ever go east of 110?

lol.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
See the problem is that most Suffolkians live in a time warp and rarely drive out of their enviroment. I doubt most of the posters here have been west of Rte 110 in over 20 years.

It's a good thing we have you traveling out this way on the weekends to infuse us with a dose of Queens East

XOXOX

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My husband was raised north shore, I was raised south shore and lived in Massapequa, Babylon and Islip Terrace before moving to the north shore. I spent a lot of time on the Outer Beach and Democrat. I can appreciate the natural beauty of the barrier beaches and also understand how the towns (both Shirley and Rocky Point) came to be what we know today as others decided to head out of the city and enjoy the fresh marine air.

Eliminating the schools makes this next to impossible. One has to ask -- why is WF such a disaster? If it's the students and their parents, these are the same people who would be your neighbors in Shirley, be the same people your children would hang out with, be the same people you would interact with when out in public. Eliminating a source of Shirley's stigma for the sake of a poll doesn't only manipulate the poll but does nothing for Shirley.

To get back on topic - this is pretty true. It was Peqs idea as a half joke to make this poll/thread.

I still vote Shirley though. Not because I unfortunately live here currently, but because I love the south shore.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
except for me, I still drive all over. Even out to FQ still and that is a 50 mile drive for me.

But isnt it kind of the same for nassau people? do they ever go east of 110?

lol.
Yes to pick pumpkins and bring their litte rugrats out for agro-entertainment.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Yes to pick pumpkins and bring their litte rugrats out for agro-entertainment.
lol. It is true everything in Suffolk can be found in Nassau for the most part, but I still think South Shore suffolk from 111-nicolls is one of the nicest, underappreciated areas of Li.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
General Perception:
If you asked the average NY-er, they'd say they've heard of Shirley and it has good and bad (someone from Central Islip might think it's nice, someone from West Islip might think it's a dump). Most would not have heard of Rocky Point and it could be East Gish as far as they know. I like what I've seen of both but anything that far North (this goes for Nassau and Suffolk) is always a pain to get to. The winding roads, hills and remoteness are part of the charm, I suppose. It looks awfully nice, just adds a lot of time to any commute. Shirley-Mastic does have some legitimate ghetto by LI standards. I don't know about RP. Just MHO.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
And the Pequa boys both know where I am from, and will assure you it is nicer than most of Suffolk.

Trust me I know all about GTL and Fuccos. Mass and Mass Park are nowhere near as Italian as you deep suffolk people make them out to be.
Quote:
I don't know how Pequa made it into this thread (oh, that was Kelly going OT again), but this is spot on .

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
some good points made here. The thing is Kelly, you point to Kohls, fast food and dregs in Shirley, but is that really much different where you are or on the Silver Coast? I think Savaged will admit to a lot of this but his main point is it's similar in RP. I'm leaning towards Shirley here due to easier access back to civilization and other advantages.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I don't know how Pequa made it into this thread (oh, that was Kelly going OT again), but this is spot on .
Maybe we will just give up....Shirley, the Pequas and for that matter the rest of the universe will never have what it takes to compare to the one and only ultimate hamlet that we all know and love...Rocky Point- the absolute true heaven on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island